Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wazz118
    • By Wazz118 17th May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wazz118
    Furniture bought, company now in administration.
    • 17th May 17, 5:12 PM
    Furniture bought, company now in administration. 17th May 17 at 5:12 PM
    It would be greatly appreciated if someone could let me have some legal advice about the following:-
    I bought some furniture on the 11th of March this year with a six to eight week delivery time. I was told a couple of weeks ago to expect delivery w/c 15/5/17. However, last week the store it was bought from went into administration and I have sent an E-Mail last week to the administrators as regards clarification but have heard nothing from them.
    The store is apparently still trading on a 'cash only' basis but is due to close for good today as a buyer for the business cannot be found.
    I have tried ringing the store today but they refer you to the administrators and the phone to the administrators is ringing out although I have left a message for them to contact me.
    I paid over £500.00 for the furniture in March as they asked for a 50% deposit which I paid on my credit card.
    I believe I can get my money back from the credit card company. Is this correct? How long do I have to wait and is there a online form I can use to claim this back? I really am an absolute novice at this and any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 8,401 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:26 PM
    Yes you should be covered by the card company - they may ask for some sort of confirmation the retailer won't be fulfilling orders though as they're still in business at present.

You could try arguing you're claiming for breach of contract as they haven't delivered by the agreed date but whether this would work would likely depend on whether time was made of the essence at the time of contracting, if not then usually you have to write to the retailer allowing them a further period before you can treat the contract as at an end.

Wait and see what the administrator says. They'll either tell you that your order is being fulfilled or that its not - if the latter, try to get it in writing from them (even by email) so you can start a section 75 claim with your card provider.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,622Posts Today

8,661Users online

Martin's Twitter