Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 17th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,580Posts
    • 1,480Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Contractors working at my house, and my car has been badly damaged.
    • 17th May 17, 5:04 PM
    Contractors working at my house, and my car has been badly damaged. 17th May 17 at 5:04 PM
    I have workmen out today fixing up my garden. There was a van and a lorry. It's a small cul-de-sac so I'm aware if anyone comes up the lane. I'm convinced one of these guys has hit the car and not said anything. They didn't tell me when they finished up, they just vanished.

The car has major damage to the back panel. It's badly dented and has huge scratches continuing around the side. I'd only just got it fixed up after it was damaged during servicing!

Could anyone tell me what I should do? I'm sitting here in a total panic.
Page 2
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 18th May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jobdone1
    Just let them sort it out for goodness sake
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 19th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 768 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    rich13348
    Accident management company is not looking out for your best interests but how best to line their pockets. Hence them wanting to give you a hire car etc but the cost will be at an astronomical rate that will be passed on to tp insurer. Leave it in the hands of the insurers of the builders.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 19th May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 9,565 Posts
    • 6,572 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Accident management company is not looking out for your best interests but how best to line their pockets. Hence them wanting to give you a hire car etc but the cost will be at an astronomical rate that will be passed on to tp insurer. Leave it in the hands of the insurers of the builders.
    Originally posted by rich13348
    Who will more than likely, and be well within their rights to, refuse to pay leaving the OP to pay up themselves.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 19th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,480 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    The accident management company have said that if the third party refuse to pay, I won't be charged for anything. They have some sort of indemnity policy that will pay if they cannot recover the costs. (Apparently. I'm not sure if this is true).

I don't want to use them, but my car is under a PCP and I'm worried about having no comeback if the repairs are substandard.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 19th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    tonyh66
    The accident management company have said that if the third party refuse to pay, I won't be charged for anything. They have some sort of indemnity policy that will pay if they cannot recover the costs. (Apparently. I'm not sure if this is true).

I don't want to use them, but my car is under a PCP and I'm worried about having no comeback if the repairs are substandard.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    and the AMC will want you to stump up the payment for the indemnity policy, they are parasites.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 19th May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 9,565 Posts
    • 6,572 Thanks
    neilmcl

Originally posted by ripplyuk
    It'll be a standard credit-hire agreement which means in the T&Cs there will be a clause stating that you will be liable for costs if they can't be recovered.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 22nd May 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,480 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I'm not happy with what the third party are suggesting, which is filling and buffing the quarter panel and bumper instead of replacing. And using a garage that they choose. I told them that the car is under a PCP and I may hand it back at the end so the repair needs to done well. They're also taking their time about everything.

The dealership want to repair it and they're saying that if anyone else repairs it, I might have big charges at the end of the PCP. However, I really don't want to let them. The car was recently damaged during the dealership servicing and the repair was so bad, it even shocked me (who knows nothing about cars). I'd prefer an independent body shop to do this.

I'm going with the accident management company. Its becoming too stressful and overwhelming and I don't see I have any other option. Unless anyone else has an idea?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,302Users online

Martin's Twitter