Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Zither
    Furniture without long delivery time?
    • 17th May 17, 5:01 PM
    Furniture without long delivery time? 17th May 17 at 5:01 PM
    Hi All

I need to buy a couple of sofas to furnish a new house but I don't want to wait 12 weeks for delivery.

Where's the best place to get some decent-ish, reasonably priced furniture from that don't take too long for delivery?

Also: which furniture shops generally offer the best value for money? For example some of the stuff in Next is nice but the prices make my eyes bleed!

Cheers!

Z
Page 1
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 17th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 17th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:28 PM
    Ikea??

10 more char
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    • 17th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:52 PM
    Ikea??

10 more char
    Originally posted by jfdi
    Haha an obvious choice! I was thinking something a bit more mid range tho? Next, B+S, House of Fraser and so on!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 7,050 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    John Lewis, or even better, their outlet in Swindon if you are nearby?
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 7:17 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    • 17th May 17, 7:17 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:17 PM
    John Lewis, or even better, their outlet in Swindon if you are nearby?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Nowhere near Swindon unfortunately! I hadn't thought about John Lewis tho and there is one near here. Do JL keep their own stock so they can deliver quickly-ish?

What are people's thought on oak furniture land?
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    Don't knock Ikea till you've tried.

I've bought 2 sofas recently for £300/£350 and I'm very happy with them. I have another in the same style which I bought second hand for next to nothing and purchased covers to match the new ones and however old the 2nd hand one is it's still just as comfortable as the brand new ones and looks great.

Far better than the £1000 sofa I bought from furniture village a few years ago which was uncomfortable and looked a right state after about a year.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Another option for furniture is Wayfair, though I have no experience of sofas from them I have bought other items which were delivered quickly.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    • 17th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:28 PM
    Don't knock Ikea till you've tried.

I've bought 2 sofas recently for £300/£350 and I'm very happy with them. I have another in the same style which I bought second hand for next to nothing and purchased covers to match the new ones and however old the 2nd hand one is it's still just as comfortable as the brand new ones and looks great.

Far better than the £1000 sofa I bought from furniture village a few years ago which was uncomfortable and looked a right state after about a year.
    Originally posted by Hoploz
    Sorry didn't mean to knock Ikea - wasn't intentional. Had a look there a couple of weekends ago and the sofas just 'didn't do it' for me. I'd buy pretty much anything else there tho! And probably will.

Take your point on furniture village tho - also had a look there recently and I just came away thinking 'how can they charge so much'!! It's mostly just wood and fabric.

Hence why I was wondering where the wise MSE crowd buy your furniture!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    • 17th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:32 PM
    Another option for furniture is Wayfair, though I have no experience of sofas from them I have bought other items which were delivered quickly.
    Originally posted by Hoploz

Like the idea but it's a bit like clothes - you just can't tell until you see them in person - fabric, dimensions, feel. Bought some really decent bathroom flat pack furniture from there recently though. So more interested in high street stuff. Thanks tho!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 28,820 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    getmore4less
    check the local independents for ex display and return stock.

don't rule out top second hand there are some good buys out there even top end stuff people are just changing for reasons unknown.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    another casualty
    Beales are very good,and not too expensive
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th May 17, 8:59 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    worried jim
    Most furniture is made to order and UK manufactured will have a lead time of six to eight weeks, 12 weeks for Chinese goods. Summer holiday factory close down will add two weeks to this time soon.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    check the local independents for ex display and return stock.

don't rule out top second hand there are some good buys out there even top end stuff people are just changing for reasons unknown.
    Originally posted by getmore4less

Yeah I've got no probs with second hand - just it's finding it - I imagine a lot of the 'best' second hand stuff goes quick. I kind of just want to go to a shop and buy some and know I can get it delivered next week. Where do you recommend for second hand gear?

Thanks!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    Beales are very good,and not too expensive
    Originally posted by another casualty
    High street? I've never heard of them!!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 17th May 17, 9:19 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zither
    Most furniture is made to order and UK manufactured will have a lead time of six to eight weeks, 12 weeks for Chinese goods. Summer holiday factory close down will add two weeks to this time soon.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Yeah this was my expectation too - I was hoping that some chains carried a warehouse stock that would require less delivery time. I don't mind waiting a month but 12 weeks is ridiculous!

Are there any furniture stores that have their own warehouse rather than made to order?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 17, 9:31 PM
    • 6,774 Posts
    • 17,954 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Absolutely worth approaching British Heart Foundation - you may get a special deal on an entire houseworth... With white goods as well - don't be bashful, you can get all sorts of furniture & gradually trade up as you find nicer pieces. They also sell new stuff - the lads outgrew their bunks & now crash on their own brand new beds (mattresses separate) thanks to the BHF.

+1 for IKEA which can be good solid furniture - if you put it together correctly. Not the best-just-moving-in party game, but enough alcohol & players & you won't be able to get into bed without ducking under the bookcase for Ages. But it'll seem pretty normal.

I'd also check out local auction houses, and of course freegle & freecycle. Why buy brand new when with a little patience you can install harlequin slightly shabby chic that you're in the middle of upcycling?! Setting visiting-in-law traps, indulging your daydreams of being a painter (of chairs etc) & enjoying yourself?

Auction houses tend to have pieces cleaned right up ready to install, and thus you can end up with an originally several thousand quid dining set reduced to a few hundred and only you know. It was made to order, (just not yours), but it was made by folk who gave a hoot, and of real solid wood often as not.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    When I made similar enquiries to Harveys, they had some lines that were available from their warehouse 2 weeks after order, and also some remaindered individual items in their showroom available immediately.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 17th May 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    casper_g
    Lots of places that usually make to order have some clearance stock consisting of either cancelled orders or ex-showroom stock.

We got an excellent quality sofabed from Willow and Hall. Their clearance section items are all available for delivery within 2 weeks and is here: https://www.willowandhall.co.uk/clearance.html OK, so they're mostly an online retailer, but they do have a showroom in Chiswick if you are London-based.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Nowhere near Swindon unfortunately!
    Originally posted by Zither
    So where are you near? Up here in Staffordshire there are furniture outlets for returned/unwanted stuff.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th May 17, 10:52 PM
    • 28,820 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Yeah I've got no probs with second hand - just it's finding it - I imagine a lot of the 'best' second hand stuff goes quick. I kind of just want to go to a shop and buy some and know I can get it delivered next week. Where do you recommend for second hand gear?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Zither
    Freecycle type places, gumtree, local adds, ebay, auctions, charity shops.

if happy to get something good enough and trade up when you have time you could well find something very reasonable to tide you over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

9,981Users online

Martin's Twitter