Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyT91
    • By JennyT91 17th May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JennyT91
    Successful PIP Tribunal
    • 17th May 17, 3:20 PM
    Successful PIP Tribunal 17th May 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hi there, I'm new to this and this is my first post, so I apologise if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I've been Googling it for the past few weeks and haven't really found a straight answer!

My project worker helped me claim for PIP back in July 2016. It got taken to a tribunal after two rejections, and I won that tribunal on the 10th of April 2017. This was on a Monday, and I was told by the judge at the tribunal that the DWP would be informed of their decision by the following Wednesday at the latest.

Since then, I have received no notification or payment. I was just wondering if there was any rough timeline I could go off of to figure out when it might come through?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 17th May 17, 3:49 PM
    Hi there, I'm new to this and this is my first post, so I apologise if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I've been Googling it for the past few weeks and haven't really found a straight answer!

My project worker helped me claim for PIP back in July 2016. It got taken to a tribunal after two rejections, and I won that tribunal on the 10th of April 2017. This was on a Monday, and I was told by the judge at the tribunal that the DWP would be informed of their decision by the following Wednesday at the latest.

Since then, I have received no notification or payment. I was just wondering if there was any rough timeline I could go off of to figure out when it might come through?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by JennyT91
    Hi,
    Great news on your successful Tribunal! Payment times vary. DWP have the same amount of chance to Appeal the decision as we do BUT to do this they would need to ask for the statement of reasons first. They also only have 1 month from the date of the decision. They can also only appeal to the upper Tribunal if an error of law was made in making the decision, so highly unlikely this will happen. Ring the Tribunal to see if they notified DWP if they have ring DWP to find out when you can expect payment.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 17th May 17, 4:07 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 19,479 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 17th May 17, 4:07 PM
    • 17th May 17, 4:07 PM
    Agree with above advice.. make a call or two..well done.. and hopefully they'll get backdating soon!
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • theronstar
    • By theronstar 18th May 17, 2:18 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    theronstar
    • 18th May 17, 2:18 AM
    • 18th May 17, 2:18 AM
    I appealed a Benefits Tribunal decision to the Upper Tribunal, one year late.

I cited medical issues - anxiety as a reason for the delay - and leave was granted.

Can DWP ask for an extension of time, if they miss the 1 month deadline?

Given my situation, I am assuming yes?
    • JennyT91
    • By JennyT91 21st May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JennyT91
    • 21st May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 21st May 17, 11:40 AM
    Hi again, thanks for your helpful replies! There are a few details that I forgot to mention in my original post.

After the tribunal, I was given the decision the same day by the panel. After I was told that I had succeeded in being awarded PIP, the judge explained that after they send off their decision to the DWP, I should expect some kind of notification after 2-3 weeks. I specifically remember him telling me not to get too worried until after 3 weeks, which is understandable, as I realise that it may take a while for all of it to process.

Obviously I received nothing after 3 weeks, which is when my project worker phoned them up to see how it was coming along. He was then told that it would take 28 days, not including weekends or bank holidays. Again, I understood this, as after the tribunal there were a fair amount of bank holidays due to Easter. So, I pulled out my diary and counted down from the date of the tribunal 28 days, not including weekends or bank holidays, and that lands on the 23rd May 2017. This would have been the date that I expected to receive some kind of notification or letter of a breakdown of the PIP I'll be receiving. Obviously that date hasn't come around yet (it is two days from today), but since the previous phone call, my project worker did call them up again to confirm. He was then told that instead of 28 days, it will take 6-8 weeks from the tribunal date (again not including weekends or bank holidays).

This troubles me a little, as I am starting to fear that it will be dragged out even further and that I'll be waiting an unknown amount of weeks until I receive anything. That was the reason I signed up to this website to make this post, as I was wondering if there was any 100% certain timelines I could go off of from people who have experienced the same thing. I am fearful that, for whatever reason, I won't receive the PIP at all. I am a severely anxious person, and due to that and other mental health issues, I was awarded PIP in the first place. I was wondering if there were any further steps I could take, or if I should continue to phone them up to keep a track of how it's going.

Thanks again everyone!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 21st May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 21st May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 21st May 17, 12:11 PM
    Can I just check who your support worker rang

Was it the tribunal service -or DWP- or both?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,614Posts Today

8,745Users online

Martin's Twitter