Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missp1982
    • By missp1982 17th May 17, 2:25 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 2Thanks
    missp1982
    Returning to study
    • 17th May 17, 2:25 PM
    Returning to study 17th May 17 at 2:25 PM
    Hi, i'm after some advice regarding returning to university to study nursing.

I currently work in an office based job but for some time have been considering returning to university to study nursing. I understand that from August 2017 tuition fees will now be applicable, but think I can get loans to assist with this and living expenses.

I have a daughter and live alone in a house with a mortgage. One option I am considering is either selling my house or renting it out - does anyone know the implications of this on the loans/tax credits etc? (would I even be able to claim tax credits and are the loans classed as income?).

The other query I have is regarding the experience needed to gain access to the course. The prospectus states you need some experience in a hospital/care environment before you can apply.

I currently work full time in a job that requires quite a lot of travel, and having a child on my own limits the time I could volunteer. I have considered trying to apply for jobs such as a support worker/healthcare assistant to gain this experience and also earn a living. What experience is needed for these jobs, as its possible I wouldnt even have enough for them?

Feel like i'm stuck in a bit of a catch 22 position at the minute. Are there any other routes into nursing that I maybe haven't considered?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 17th May 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 17th May 17, 6:36 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:36 PM
    Acsess course and health care assistant work or bank work.

Nursing is a demanding course. You will be expected to study even when you have time off uni. You will be expected to work the same shift patterns as a nurse so you could be working till 9pm one night and then work an early shift from around 7am the next day so childcare will be hard. You will be expected to do assignments during the time at uni but also when your on placesmers which is difficult on it's own anyways. Plus then you have to gain evidence you can do certain tasks and also write reflective accounts. It is a full time course and I mean full time. You have balance life well. You won't follow the normal uni timetable in that you will be at uni and placement till August not may like other courses. On top of assignments and placements and evidence gaining you will be studying for exams as early well.

Some people do work part time but if you do that you are expected to put the course first. You will likely work weekends as well. You will be expected to work in the community and also do long night shifts but my uni only allowed nights in year 2.

It's a hard course to do even if your single with no kids.

You maybe enetitled to council tax reduction. My mother applied because I was a student nurse but got rejected.

Have a look on NHS bursarys for funding advice. I belive now it's payed in instalments like other courses for the loan.

Even when you qualify you don't stop learning you will do additional courses and continue to collate eveidence to go towards the revalidation.

If you want to do it I would look for health care assistant job if you can. Then you will gain experience.

You will have to pass the application stage then interview stage which will be hard to pass as there will loads of people fighting for a place. Adult nursing is the branch that has more places but that means more competition. They will ask why you want to do nursing and will look for an answer that isn't big standard so really think why.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 17th May 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 17th May 17, 6:37 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:37 PM
    For what is needed for hca role have a look on NHS jobs they will have the criteria. Usually GCSEs 5 of them including maths and English.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 6,321 Thanks
    ali-t
    • 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    You could apply for an access to nursing course at college for a year which would get you back into studying and there are usually articulation agreements between the colleges and universities.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 17th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 6,190 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 17th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:55 PM
    I had council tax reduction when I was a student midwife

The bursary didn't count as income for tax credits purposes (I didn't take out a loan)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

656Posts Today

4,804Users online

Martin's Twitter