Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Feathers7890
    • By Feathers7890 17th May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Feathers7890
    Sip parking fine court case apready submitted defence before doing research!!!
    • 17th May 17, 2:20 PM
    Sip parking fine court case apready submitted defence before doing research!!! 17th May 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I was issued a PCN last year, these are the facts: I entered my gym car park (non member) only visiting a personal trainer.
    I had trained previously before the sip procedure was enforced. I didn't enter my veichle reg upon entering the gym.
    However! My argument is, the carpark was dark upon entry and the signs weren't visible. I signed in as a guest (none of the staff informed me of the new policy) my trainer greeted me and took me into the training station to train. I didn't have the time to observe the gym signs.
    I have contacted the gym, they said to contact sip. I contacted sip they were adamant the signs in the gym were visible and I should have entered my details.
    I haven't paid the fine and they have ignored my appeal through gladstones.
    I have received a county court letter to which I submitted my defence , similar to what happened.
    Does anyone have any advice to the court procedure and the likely hood I will win the case? Initially I couldn't afford to pay the fine, but also felt I shouldn't have to! But now the fine stands around £240 with potential CCJ if I loose and can't pay.
    The whole procedure from the gym to SIP to gladstones has been really unreasonable!!!!! 😡😡😡😡
Page 1
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 17th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 17th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:23 PM
    If the gym took on the ppc then as principal the gym can cancel the court action being undertaken by their agents.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Feathers7890
    • By Feathers7890 17th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Feathers7890
    • 17th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:27 PM
    I've contacted the gym and sip since and they have passed it all over to gladstones who now are taking it through the court. Am I right in saying if I contact a more senior body at the gym they may be able to help me?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 15,527 Posts
    • 24,248 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    Am I right in saying if I contact a more senior body at the gym they may be able to help me?
    You surely know the gym better than any anonymous adviser here; how would we know? Get back to them and be assertive. See if that works.

Meantime, read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which describes the small claims court process so that you are, in the event of a claim, be prepared to deal with this.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 51,534 Posts
    • 65,137 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    I signed in as a guest (none of the staff informed me of the new policy) my trainer greeted me and took me into the training station...
    So inform the Manager of the Gym, in writing, that you will sue the Gym for your loss and distress, unless they cancel this. It is their fault, their omission.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Feathers7890
    • By Feathers7890 19th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Feathers7890
    • 19th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:25 PM
    Thank you for all your replies I've been in constant contact with the gym I'm now getting no replies. So I'm going to write to the head office.
    Just annoying that this can happen and all the people who can help choose to ignore you
    • NtG
    • By NtG 19th May 17, 6:23 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    NtG
    • 19th May 17, 6:23 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:23 PM
    Hi mate
    Hi, I can offer some advice. I won my case against the same company and Gladstones at County Court this very day, mine was a blowing ticket on a windy day. Took half an hour to convince the Judge. Don't give in to them, Gladstones are a joke, they didn't turn up, possibly because they've had their £50 from SIP and putting in the time and effort reduces their fee to the point where they're out of pocket. So a guy from SIP turned up, he quoted the Supreme Court decision which the Judge threw out on the spot, they'll try and bamboozle you with the same crap. Take your time, look around the web and read stuff, that's all I did, I'm no lawyer. Don't expect anything from them, they're looking to make money off you so appeals and the like are a waste of your effort and time. Look who own the appeals body and who gains to make money from refused appeals.
    I know that when the paperwork from the SCC arrives, it can be daunting. Do what I did, read it, put it down and leave it a day, then go back and re-read it. Trust me it doesn't look so scary the next day and you can then start to work through the things you have to do.

Good luck
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th May 17, 6:32 PM
    • 51,534 Posts
    • 65,137 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th May 17, 6:32 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:32 PM
    Hi mate
    Hi, I can offer some advice. I won my case against the same company and Gladstones at County Court this very day, mine was a blowing ticket on a windy day. Took half an hour to convince the Judge.

Don't give in to them, Gladstones are a joke, they didn't turn up, possibly because they've had their £50 from SIP and putting in the time and effort reduces their fee to the point where they're out of pocket.

So a guy from SIP turned up, he quoted the Supreme Court decision which the Judge threw out on the spot, they'll try and bamboozle you with the same crap. Take your time, look around the web and read stuff, that's all I did, I'm no lawyer. Don't expect anything from them, they're looking to make money off you so appeals and the like are a waste of your effort and time.

Look who own the appeals body and who gains to make money from refused appeals.

I know that when the paperwork from the SCC arrives, it can be daunting. Do what I did, read it, put it down and leave it a day, then go back and re-read it. Trust me it doesn't look so scary the next day and you can then start to work through the things you have to do.

Good luck
    Originally posted by NtG
    Great advice! And well done!

Can you start a thread with your court report please, where, which Judge, a synopsis of the day and what lead to it?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• NtG
    • By NtG 19th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    NtG
    • 19th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:44 PM
    OK, off out for a curry on the £236 I haven't given SIP, but will do later
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 19th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 6,423 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is not the first time Sip have misbehaved in court.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/sip-parking-fail-to-pay-ccj.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,433Posts Today

9,314Users online

Martin's Twitter