Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dw89
    • By dw89 17th May 17, 2:16 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 20Thanks
    dw89
    Being unfairly stuffed by Credit Card....advice appreciated!
    • 17th May 17, 2:16 PM
    Being unfairly stuffed by Credit Card....advice appreciated! 17th May 17 at 2:16 PM
    Hi All,

Like many I'm a busy person, have lots of cards, accounts etc but, in over 20years, I have never paid a penny in interest. This is mainly because I only spend on the cards what I can afford and I do it this way to free up my cash for interest and gain airmails etc.

This is all fine until one day, as happened in April, a credit card bill didn't turn up (why is anyone's guess). I realised nothing had turned up what amounted to 2.5 working days (or 4.5 if you count w/e) and phoned up immediately on 10th April (it was due on 5th). I explained the situation, pointed out that I never miss a bill, and that I will pay it now. To start off with they wouldn't even tell me the amount (helpful huh); to which I said that I can hardly pay it if I don't know what it is. Then they wanted to charge for a new statement but eventually said they would send it free of charge. I also got them to refund (on his word of course) the late payment fee and any interest for that time (on a balance just over £1k). During the call I paid the bill and, that 'should' have been that.

Next bill comes in May and, guess what, they've refunded the £12 lpf but charged me interest of £25+ on 11/4 for the 4.5 days. I phoned up, immediately, on 3/5 and complained stating that I was told it would a) be refunded and b) interest not charged. The person told me it was 'a lot of money' and they couldn't just refund it and that she had to speak to her mgr. Having done so (and lets face it, she wouldn't have gone to her if she 'couldn't' have ordered the refund) and said they couldn't and that it would have to go to a 'Complaints Team' who would either call me in 2 days or write to me in 5. I asked for a call but was told 'that's the process' and basically 'go multiply.' So, in the short term I 'fully' pay this latest bill, minus the £25+ interest which is in dispute.

On 11/5, having heard squat, I called again and, basically got told I'd just have to 'wait' and, on asking if I could speak to this 'Team' directly, was told that they 'wont speak to customers directly.' So, still in limbo. Then, on around 12/5 I now miraculously get a letter from this team (a full 9 days after the initial complaint) and, guess what, have they resolved this 'ever so complicated' issue? No, they're going to take up to 8 weeks!!! It's a complete joke.

And, today, I now know why. I've received my latest bill for payment at start of June. Instead of, reasonably, putting the disputed amount 'in dispute' they've charged me another £15+ for interest on purchases!!!

- How on earth does this work when the bill was paid in full (just minus the interest)?
    - How can they charge £15+ interest on £25+ of interest
    - Why is it not in dispute and 'Sandboxed'?

I'm just utterly disgusted. It's, luckily for me, all new to me and I just don't get how they can do this when it all stems from not receiving 'their' bill!!

At the moment I'm thinking of paying the entire thing off then making a complaint to FoS or something because, if I let them take their merry time to waste mine, they'll just keep adding interest without any responsibility for how it was caused in the first place and the fact 'they' told me I wouldn't be charged! This happened to me, once before, many years ago. I phoned up, they refunded me, job done. This? Well I've just not got the words.

Comments appreciated.

Dave
Page 2
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th May 17, 2:01 PM
    • 6,702 Posts
    • 8,232 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    This is why I now don't have a credit card. Late payments/ mistakes/ disputes etc and then the extra stress and dent to your credit file trying to sort it out.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    It is 31 years since I got my first credit card. I've never paid late or had a dispute in that time. Indeed, I have had a dispute over a £20 note at a bar. Method of payment is not a no dispute guarantee. My credit file is impeccable. Thanks.

I also read somewhere that using plastic leads to people spending on average 18-20% more than if they used cash.
    Some people are silly. Others aren't.

My advice would be get rid of the credit cards!
    My advice would be milk credit cards to your best advantage until the cows come home.

Do you really get so many points/ air miles etc to justify having one? I'd be surprised
    In cold hard cashback I earned just over £110 last year with an old Halifax MasterCard and a further £30 on their Clarity card, albeit the latter no longer pays cashback.

My Avios (air miles) when combining card spend, flying, supermarket shopping and Topcashback redemptions have allowed me to book first class flights to the USA next month. £8,000 in retail fares handed over for £1,060 in "taxes".

I'll ponder your comments when I'm enjoying my pre-flight massage in Heathrow. Assuming I'm not too sloshed from the other benefits of the first class lounge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

7,110Users online

Martin's Twitter