Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 486Posts
    • 344Thanks
    aneary
    Landlord's mortgage company
    • 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    Landlord's mortgage company 17th May 17 at 1:31 PM
    Hi

Is it possible to find out the landlord's mortgage company?

Basically he is a nightmare landlord there is damp, he is refusing to fix it because I am unable to move his couch away from the wall to access the damp.

The under counter lights and fan have never worked they were supposed to be fixed before I moved in.

Every time I report an issue he doesn't do anything about it.

I'm paying higher than local rates rent and he is refusing to lower it despite all the faults with the flat.

I suspect he has a residential mortgage and not a BTL mortgage if I could find out the mortgage company I could use it a leverage to fix all the problems.
Page 1
    • Rejast
    • By Rejast 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Rejast
    • 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    I'm not an expert on tenancy rights etc but you could request a copy of the land registry documents and any mortgage charge will be on there.

If your landlord is on a residential mortgage and not a buy to let, have you considered that threatening to out them may result in you being asked/forced to vacate the property?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 17th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10,826 Posts
    • 14,959 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 17th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:43 PM
    Sure you could do that or you could follow Shelter's advice for dealing with landlords who won't carry out repairs instead.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs

Why are you or the landlord unable to move the sofa way from the wall? I have some of these for moving large pieces of furniture when decorating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002SAJRGS?psc=1
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    • 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    I have a tenancy agreement and it ends in August at which point I will hopefully have brought a flat (mortgage application going through) or I will rent elsewhere.

So I think it's unlikely he will try and force me out at this point.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    • 17th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:46 PM
    I can't move the sofa as it's massive and I'm waiting on surgery for a slipped disc, the landlord has had a knee and whilst I have some sympathy the damp has been there since Christmas. The lights haven't been fixed and where supposed to be fixed prior to me moving in August last year.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    • 17th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:49 PM
    As for shelters advise I am trying to come to a resolution via the letting agency however there records are rubbish they are claiming I didn't report things through them as their notes are not up to date I have forwarded all emails etc.

I have asked for a reduction in rent but the agency said the landlord says no.
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 17th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    • 17th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:50 PM
    What's causing the damp? It started appearing at Christmas you say? Well what changed then that could be causing the problem. Make sure that it's nothing you're doing that's causing it before you rattle the LL cage too hard as it might mean the loss of your deposit.

It is your responsibility to open the windows and air the property properly. Especially if you are drying clothes indoors in the wet weather, or if you're cooking a lot. This is the most common cause of damp problems in houses.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 17, 1:59 PM
    • 9,520 Posts
    • 12,006 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th May 17, 1:59 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:59 PM
    What's causing the damp? It started appearing at Christmas you say? Well what changed then that could be causing the problem. Make sure that it's nothing you're doing that's causing it before you rattle the LL cage too hard as it might mean the loss of your deposit.

It is your responsibility to open the windows and air the property properly. Especially if you are drying clothes indoors in the wet weather, or if you're cooking a lot. This is the most common cause of damp problems in houses.
    Originally posted by *~Zephyr~*
    And a lot of people 'wrap up' instead of using sufficient heating to save costs - trouble is they forget the house needs some heat too. Sounds like winter's had a big impact which does suggest it may not have been warm enough or perhaps clothes have been dried indoors with no/poor ventilation (as suggested). As Zephyr says, tread carefully re grassing him up as it may well be partly your fault.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th May 17, 2:02 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 17th May 17, 2:02 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:02 PM
    I suspect he has a residential mortgage and not a BTL mortgage if I could find out the mortgage company I could use it a leverage to fix all the problems.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Why do you think the LL is on a residential mortgage? They could have Consent to Let in any case. Practically it won't make a difference to as any repossession action would take more than the 3 months you plan to be there.

So it's just to use as leverage? Again is it worth the aggro for 3 months?

I have a tenancy agreement and it ends in August at which point I will hopefully have brought a flat (mortgage application going through) or I will rent elsewhere.
    Originally posted by aneary
    That leaves you with ~3 months to resolve all queries/searches, get surveys done, agree on an exchange and completion date. Depending on the length of the chain, 3 months is possible but not swimming in time. If your purchase does take over 3 months, a LL onside could enable you to agree a mutual surrender when you need to move out without too much overlap. Otherwise you'd have to give notice in line with rental periods (so can be almost 2 months) or sign up to a new fixed term committing to 6-12 months.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    I suspect he is on a residential mortgage as he brought the place to live in but then all his work was in a different area so he rents it out and lives with his parents although last year he lived there for 8 months.

The damp is most likely caused by the terrace being higher than the floor and the damp membrane being damaged (it's a build under 10 years ago) it appears on external walls in the bedroom (two areas) and living room the windows are always open at least at a tilt so the flat is well aired. Also I don't do cold so I don't hesitate putting the heating on.

The flat which the offer is on doesn't have a chain but if there is a gap I can as a temp basis move to my parents it will mean an hour each way drive but short term it will be okay.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    G_M
    You have absolutely no evidence he is breaching his mortgage terms. Even if he DID originally buy it on a residential mortgage to live in he may have

* switched to a BTL mortgage or
    * received CTL

Instead of trying to resort to blackmail, why not enforce your repairing rights properly? Read:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)
    Last edited by G_M; 17-05-2017 at 2:50 PM.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    I have read all of this but he is delaying all repairs.

I had an email today from the agency claiming that I didn't inform them until mid march so it's unreasonable of me to expect it to be fixed.

Luckily I have email and text evidence to prove that this is untrue.
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 17th May 17, 2:51 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    rentmekid
    blackmail!!! call the copper!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th May 17, 2:51 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    G_M
    So on what date did you write to the landlord listing the items that require repair?

What follow-up action have you taken?

I repeat:

Instead of trying to resort to blackmail, why not enforce your repairing rights properly?
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 2:59 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    The lights were supposed to be fix prior to me moving in, 6th August. I followed up on 8th with the landlord and then the following day with the agent. I followed up several times and then gave up.

The damp appeared at Christmas time I informed the agency in the New Year and again mentioned the lights, there have been emails going back and forth since then and three visits by the landlord cancelled without informing me. All the emails had the agency copied in and they are claiming that they didn't know because the employee has left without updating the notes, everything has now been forwarded to them.

I'm leaving in August and going the legal route will take longer than that (my mother is a solicitor). He is plan lazy and he is making excuses not to fix things.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 17th May 17, 3:00 PM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    FBaby
    What 'all repairs'? So far you mention damp and lights. In regards to damp has he come to do an inspection? Lights sound like a minor issues so what other repairs has he failed to carry out? At the moment your request for rent reduction sounds disproportionate and opportunistic.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 4:05 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    The lights are also connected to the kitchen fan as there are only two windows in the flat the fan not working is a nightmare especially as this shouldn't have been fixed before I moved in, the lights are under counter lights so it is actually a big problem cooking that area of the kitchen living room does not have windows so lights are needed during the daytime too. As these repairs were supposed to be fixed before I moved in I feel nearly 10 months later is unreasonable.

I'm asthmatic damp is a serious problem for me. He has not been round since I moved in, he has said he already knows what the issue is and how to deal with it which seems like it has happen before and is an ongoing issue.
    • Murray87
    • By Murray87 17th May 17, 4:35 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Murray87
    Why bother? Just wait a few months and go. Sounds like you are trying to cause trouble rather than go through the correct routes to obtain a repair. And a sudden appearance of damp in a newish property is likely to be lifestyle rather than anything else.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    The damp is not due to livestyle have you actually read the post.

I am trying to get the landlord to actually fix the problems quickly going through the legal route now will take too long. I think it's extremely unfair that I'm paying for a service and not receiving it.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 17th May 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10,826 Posts
    • 14,959 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    You are paying rent and receiving exclusive occupation of the property are you not?

9 months ago you could have started going down the legal route to get repairs done. 9 months you would have started going down the legal route if these things were such a big deal to you or you would at least have tried to find out what can be done about landlords not carrying out repairs which, given your mother is a solicitor and the Internet is easily accessible shouldn't have been difficult..

Instead you're 10 months down the line fannying around trying to find a way to blackmail your landlord into doing the repairs. Why not follow Shelter's advice and raise the repairs with the council's environmental health department? You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,051Posts Today

6,380Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin