Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 89Posts
    • 68Thanks
    woolythoughts
    No viewings on house for sale....
    • 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    No viewings on house for sale.... 17th May 17 at 1:24 PM
    Acquaintenance of ours have put their house on the market:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59112985.html

its been up for a while but they've not had any viewings. Frankly we're sick of hearing them bang on about not being able to sell (relationship break up so its part of the break up saga).

Was wondering if the panel have any thoughts on whats wrong with the listing so I can give them feedback that might help them sell it (and shut them up in the process).

I know its not very charitable but its like a stuck record.
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 17th May 17, 1:29 PM
    The problem is the price. It's at least £20k too expensive.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 9,625 Posts
    • 12,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Have they asked for feedback from a forum?

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 8,141 Posts
    • 27,207 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    I love these "critique my house" threads, but I feel a bit uncomfortable doing it when it's not the owners who posted it.
    But I will say, red is a nightmare to paint over.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 17th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 17th May 17, 1:33 PM
    Reduce the price and use a proper estate agent.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 17th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aneary
    Can they paint the bedroom walls to a less in your face colour.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 17th May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    sulphate
    • 17th May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:34 PM
    No viewings in a month suggests price is too high.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    aside from the obvious front garden makes it look like it is still part of a development that is only just at the stage of completing and has yet to have a garden created, the rest of the listing looks fine

as ever it comes back to price... according to Rightmove the price was reduced "yesterday", but at 240k it is still top end:
    is theirs worth 15k+ compared to the similar one which has now sold?
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58191004.html

is retaining a garage as a garage worth an extra 5k compared to having converted the garage to a habitable room and sold for less than their (reduced) asking price as witnessed by this now sold one?? I doubt it very much!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65096060.html

presumably relationship split means each person wants the max they can get so they can go off and start again elsewhere. Or is one being obstructive out of vengeance?
    Last edited by 00ec25; 17-05-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 4,153 Thanks
    Penitent
    "Here's the brown room...and the other brown room...and, yep, brown...don't worry, though, there's a couple of bedrooms upstairs that'll make your eyes bleed!"
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 17th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    The problem is the price. It's at least £20k too expensive.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

Agree with this. Number 7 sold for £222k in August and that was bigger and much better presented. This one has a partly built deck out the back and a completely unfinished driveway. How much will those two things cost to fix? £10k?

Tell them to drop it to £210k.

This seems to be a trend with houses listed on Purple Bricks - they are all way overpriced.

Not sure why there's two photos of the prison cell bedroom. And a lot of the photos are a bit dark and gloomy, but unless the photos show it to be a complete wreck, its the price that gets people through the doors.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 17th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    They bought this house for £215k in December 2015, I would be surprised if the market had increased by over 10% in the previous 18months.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,623 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Tell him to spend a week or two finishing all the part-done jobs off, and slapping a coat (or seven) of magnolia over all of the further reaches of the paint chart, THEN relist it. At a more sensible price.

Couldn't he find anywhere to put a bigger clock?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It's difficult to find on Google Street, but appears to be tucked up a corner.

The front looks cold and the front parking area badly needs re-doing. The 'dumped' wood also needs moving. The interior is fine, if people can picture their own furnishings, but at the moment the rooms look overpowered by large furniture, with little to soften the effect ; the heavy colours being part of the problem.

Another item which will be expensive to remedy is the windows .I think the curved sections look very odd and rather tacky.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 17-05-2017 at 2:11 PM.
    • Cliveman Pieman
    • By Cliveman Pieman 17th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Cliveman Pieman
    I know Bridgwater very well. They are not going to get almost quarter of a million pounds for a very ugly 4 bed near the motorway. They need someone to manage their expectations in this regard.

I also note it is with Purple Bricks. I would have thought their fixed fee structure incentivises them to overvalue things, although I've not had any dealings with them.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 17th May 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Goodness me, that's very red. I got to the red-purple one and wondered what people were on about as I quite like that, then a couple of photos on, wow, see what you mean. It can be painted over by a buyer but I'd worry it'd be a lot of effort to do so. They should start toning that down now.

The gardens look so unfinished. Even a couple of big plants in nice pots either side of the door would look more inviting - can they borrow any from the neighbours? Maybe a mat or stepping stone outside the front door, as at the moment it looks like an oddly big drop (implying the drive needs another layer of tarmac/gravel/lawn to finish it). And get rid of the spare planks and bag of cement.

Other than that it has to be the price.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th May 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    The conservatory is missing from the floor plan, but let's face it, no-one's looked that closely after seeing the price - they've already clicked the back button on their browser...
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 17th May 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    gingercordial
    On another note, I'm assuming they haven't asked you to solicit comments on their house from strangers on the internet. Have they even asked your opinion on why they're not getting viewings? Just be careful about how you approach this - they may not thank you for sticking your oar in particularly if they get defensive about the decor! And for god's sake don't show them this thread...
    • The_Logans
    • By The_Logans 17th May 17, 2:38 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    The_Logans
    Have they asked for advice? If not, I'd mind my own business. Sorry that you have to listen to them 'banging on' about trying to sell their home as a result of their relationship falling apart. It must be so hard for you.

Edit: Just noticed you don't even call them friends but acquaintances. Hazard a guess, you live next door and are worried that their house isn't selling??
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th May 17, 2:57 PM
    • 8,141 Posts
    • 27,207 Thanks
    fairy lights

Edit: Just noticed you don't even call them friends but acquaintances. Hazard a guess, you live next door and are worried that their house isn't selling??
    Originally posted by The_Logans
    Or maybe it is the OP's house, but he doesn't want to expose himself/make his real identity known hence the classic "asking for a friend".
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 17th May 17, 3:15 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    Have they asked for advice? If not, I'd mind my own business. Sorry that you have to listen to them 'banging on' about trying to sell their home as a result of their relationship falling apart. It must be so hard for you.

Originally posted by The_Logans
    Live close by, worried the house isnt selling because we want rid of them like every other inhabitants of the close. Think large quad bikes being revved at up to 1 am and them spewing gravel all over the road as they enter and leave.

The front garden and drive they ripped up with many comments about "I'm going to get it done, I know the costings" adn its now been like that for over a year. Quoted now as "not going to spend money on doing the drive now".

Bloke wants the full asking price - but he wants to buy out the woman. Woman just wants it sold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,477Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin