Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,864Posts
    • 1,364Thanks
    boots_babe
    Information needed re buying house in flood risk area
    • 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    Information needed re buying house in flood risk area 17th May 17 at 12:45 PM
    Hi all,

We're helping my parents to move to a bungalow, and their favourite is in a flood risk area - in terms of being zone 1, 2, 3 with 1 being the highest, it's zone 1.

Now I know this doesn't mean it will flood, but I also know that near to me in December 2015 certain areas that had never flooded before, did, given the unprecedented rains. So it's a serious risk to consider.

So, before deciding whether to make an offer I want to look into this more for them. Firstly I tried to find online information as to when this propery HAS flooded in the past - I've drawn a complete blank. Is there anywhere that I could find this information out?

Secondly, where should I be looking to find information on flood protection we could put into a property? On googling I get lots of hits but all for companies that are selling things. I'm after impartial information and advice though. Does this exist anywhere?

Sorry if the answers to these 2 questions are obvious, I can usually find what I need online but have really struggled here. My parents love this property so I want to at least look into options for them.

Many thanks.

Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    According to this page, you can email the environment agency to get the flood history of a property :

https://www.gov.uk/check-flood-risk

There's also a link on there called "Prepare for flooding" which gives some useful advice.

The other point to consider - insurance. You're likely to find that getting cover in a high-risk area is very expensive indeed, and it's possible that you may struggle to get cover at all. It would be well worth while going onto one of the price comparison sites and getting some dummy quotes beforehand - you may find this influences your decision.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 19-05-2017 at 8:25 AM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    boots_babe
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    I'd not seen that so thank you, I've just sent an email request, it says they'll reply within 20 working days. Hoping it'll be sooner though!

• qazitory
    • By qazitory 28th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    qazitory
    • 28th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    I would recommend getting a home insurance quote as due to flooding, we really struggle obtaining a good price.

I believe the current owner has a legal duty to inform you if it's flooded in the time they have owned the property?
    Quidco Earnings (since Dec 06): £467.75
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 28th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    boots_babe
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    Just to update on this. My parents ended up going for a different house, not in a flood zone, and things are currently progressing with their purchase.

I had in the meantime done as suggested and put a request in to the environment agency, for the flood history of the original property. They were supposed to respond within 20 working days, they managed to reply on day 21, by which time they'd already offered on the other house!

• robotrobo
    • By robotrobo 28th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    robotrobo
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    Just to update on this. My parents ended up going for a different house, not in a flood zone, and things are currently progressing with their purchase.

I had in the meantime done as suggested and put a request in to the environment agency, for the flood history of the original property. They were supposed to respond within 20 working days, they managed to reply on day 21, by which time they'd already offered on the other house!
    Originally posted by boots_babe

it was a no brainer, why buy a worry!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,165Posts Today

8,115Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Today's twitter poll: If someone has a job interview, but not received any salary info at all, whens the best time for them to ask about it?

• Follow Martin