Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,846Posts
    • 1,359Thanks
    Information needed re buying house in flood risk area
    • #1
    • 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    Information needed re buying house in flood risk area 17th May 17 at 12:45 PM
    Hi all,

    We're helping my parents to move to a bungalow, and their favourite is in a flood risk area - in terms of being zone 1, 2, 3 with 1 being the highest, it's zone 1.

    Now I know this doesn't mean it will flood, but I also know that near to me in December 2015 certain areas that had never flooded before, did, given the unprecedented rains. So it's a serious risk to consider.

    So, before deciding whether to make an offer I want to look into this more for them. Firstly I tried to find online information as to when this propery HAS flooded in the past - I've drawn a complete blank. Is there anywhere that I could find this information out?

    Secondly, where should I be looking to find information on flood protection we could put into a property? On googling I get lots of hits but all for companies that are selling things. I'm after impartial information and advice though. Does this exist anywhere?

    Sorry if the answers to these 2 questions are obvious, I can usually find what I need online but have really struggled here. My parents love this property so I want to at least look into options for them.

    Many thanks.

Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 3,714 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • #2
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • #2
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    According to this page, you can email the environment agency to get the flood history of a property :

    There's also a link on there called "Prepare for flooding" which gives some useful advice.

    The other point to consider - insurance. You're likely to find that getting cover in a high-risk area is very expensive indeed, and it's possible that you may struggle to get cover at all. It would be well worth while going onto one of the price comparison sites and getting some dummy quotes beforehand - you may find this influences your decision.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 19-05-2017 at 8:25 AM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • #3
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    I'd not seen that so thank you, I've just sent an email request, it says they'll reply within 20 working days. Hoping it'll be sooner though!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,731Posts Today

9,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin