Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimmandon
    • By Jimmandon 17th May 17, 10:52 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jimmandon
    Car Insurance HELP PLEASE!!!!
    • 17th May 17, 10:52 AM
    Car Insurance HELP PLEASE!!!! 17th May 17 at 10:52 AM
    Hello all. My good friend has pointed me to this site as he said the community on here are really helpful.

I feel like my car insurance company have completely had me over. Long story short a third party driver reversed into my car only causing minor damage but he quickly realised he could spin it and say I drove into the back of him, he had no tail lights and no indication for his reverse manoeuvre. He is only insured third party fire and theft, he is not seeking to claim against me but isn't admitting liability. So here is what a find absolutely ridiculous.

I drive an average car 07 Astra i'm 30 years old and have been driving for 12 years with no motoring offences and pay around £1100 per year for car insurance with 3yrs no claims bonus. So because the person who reversed into me is not accepting liability, it has to be marked down on my policy with Hastings Direct as a fault of mine, which in turn means I lose my no claims bonus. All of a sudden I receive a text from them saying your policy has been cancelled. I contacted them to ask why and they stated "because you are making a claim it has to be marked as a fault on your policy so you lose your no claims bonus and then we recalculate your premium and if it is over £1000 we automatically cancel your policy". So then I was stuck at work with my vehicle and no car insurance, To start a new policy that day i was looking at over £2000 for the year. £2000, i'm paying even more than I did when I was 18 and a new driver. I had no choice so I had to fork out £198 for the first month of a new policy. In now way shape or form did Hastings try to meet my needs as a customer, it was just their way or the highway.

I asked Hastings if I could withdraw my claim so that my no claims bonus can be reinstated, as the damage to my car is only a bumper graze and the only reason I chose to make a claim was down to principle. My premium had gone up anyway because of this incident. They said I could not now withdraw my claim and there is every possibility I may not get my no claims bonus back. I also have to pay £325 excess to get my bumper polished.

So as a summary, you pay car insurance but when someone crashes into you, your insurance company cancels your policy. Any advice here on how to tackle this would be hugely appreciate.

Thanks in advance to you all.
Page 2
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 17th May 17, 5:27 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    angrycrow
    There are two possibilities here.

Option one as already suggested op is a troll with a made up story.

Option two op is only giving half the facts and has had his policy cancelled due to non disclose of material facts. Most insurers will look at non disclosures and decide if they would have still provided cover at a reasonable price. Many insurers use 100% increase in premium as a reason for avoidance of the policy. In this situation the policy holder has already shown a willingness to mislead his insurer so they assume the tp will claim and the policy holder will be found at fault so they rightly refuse to allow the claim to be withdrawn.

I really hope for the op sake it is option one because option two will be very expensive when op starts to accurately answer the question "have you ever had insurance refused or withdrawn" those quotes of £2000 will feel like a bargain.

Finally some insurers are able to block quotes for certain people using various parameters such as name and address if they have voided a policy, they don't want the person coming back for a new policy.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Option Two is far from unlikely - often, driving licences are only checked at claim time, so suddenly some points that were "forgotten about" come to light.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 17th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 3,512 Thanks
    rudekid48

Option two op is only giving half the facts and has had his policy cancelled due to non disclose of material facts. Most insurers will look at non disclosures and decide if they would have still provided cover at a reasonable price. Many insurers use 100% increase in premium as a reason for avoidance of the policy. In this situation the policy holder has already shown a willingness to mislead his insurer so they assume the tp will claim and the policy holder will be found at fault so they rightly refuse to allow the claim to be withdrawn.

I really hope for the op sake it is option one because option two will be very expensive when op starts to accurately answer the question "have you ever had insurance refused or withdrawn" those quotes of £2000 will feel like a bargain.

Finally some insurers are able to block quotes for certain people using various parameters such as name and address if they have voided a policy, they don't want the person coming back for a new policy.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Possibly. The OP did claim though that he was offered a new policy by Hastings when he spoke to them, so that would rule out the void policy option and they would still not be able to just send a text message saying the policy is cancelled with immediate effect............ if any of it was true
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • Jimmandon
    • By Jimmandon 17th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmandon
    Something doesn't sound right here, for a start you can cancel your claim whenever you want to up until you cash the cheque.

For another why are you claiming on your insurance?

How long was left on your insurance for an increased premium of 100%??
    Originally posted by Guest101
    They sent a letter to my house along with a few emails which I didn't manage to read due to Mac Mail playing up, so the next thing was a text saying my policy had been cancelled. The crash occurred in March and I was only about 7 weeks into that policy. The reason I am claiming is because initially I was told that the third party was claiming and then I was told he isn't. So i tried to retract my claim but apparently I cannot cancel the claim because it has to be left open for a certain period of time.

I was paying £90 per month now i'm paying roughly around £180.
    • Jimmandon
    • By Jimmandon 17th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmandon
    Possibly. The OP did claim though that he was offered a new policy by Hastings when he spoke to them, so that would rule out the void policy option and they would still not be able to just send a text message saying the policy is cancelled with immediate effect............ if any of it was true
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    They cancelled my policy and then offered me a new one. It's a shame i cannot post a screenshot of the text as an attachment on this site. I don'y understand why you guys think I'm fabricating this story? What would I gain from that?
    • Jimmandon
    • By Jimmandon 17th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmandon

Originally posted by angrycrow
    Where did I mislead the insurance company? At which point? They stripped my no claims until they can prove that the other party was at fault. They recalculated at £1100 with no claims which was what I was already paying, without no claims it was £2000 and obviously my no claims cannot be applied until they are reinstated, if they are reinstated if I win the claim.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 17th May 17, 11:10 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Ok people I just received a pm from the op which explains all. I am sharing so all can benefit from the new info and others can learn from the OP's misfortune which is the underlying point of the forum.

It appears op is not a troll after all just did not give the full story.

PM as follows
    "Hi you seem to be really clued up on car insurance. Can I please explain to you and see if you have any knowledge on this. The incident happened on the 7th of march and my policy was due to lapse on the 13/14th thereabouts. So if the incident happened on last years policy I don't understand how they can cancel my current policy and recalculate it at such a high premium."

Clearly what happened is the insurer issued renewal terms prior to the accident on 07/03/2017 (renewal would have come out around 3 week of February), based on no accidents and 3 years no claims (existing 2 years plus an additional year for the year about to complete) OP then had accident on 07/03/2017 but allowed the policy to continue without calling the renewals line to confirm the accident had occurred.

lets give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he did not wait until after 14/03/2017 to report the claim hoping the renewal would go through at the old rate and he had assumed the claims team would inform the renewals team of the accident.

So OP received his new policy with a rate based on 3 years no claims bonus and no accidents. The reality is he has a pending, possibly fault claim and 0 years no claims as a result. The insurer then quite rightly said hold on OP we issued renewal terms prior to the accident on the condition you told us if any of the information the quote was based on had changed and on the understanding any info which had changed could result in the quote changing. Insurers have now found out about the claim and adjusted the policy appropriately but because the premium increase was over 100% they cannot amend the current policy and have to cancel and issue a new policy based on the correct info. All completely above board and they have been very reasonable offering the OP further terms. OP has admitted in subsequent posts that the insurer did try to contact him to resolve the matter prior to cancelling the policy but he failed to respond.

The lack of quotes for them may well be due to them not quoting for drivers with 0 years no claims and a fault accident pending.

The other possibility is that the OP deliberately delayed reporting his claim until after the renewal thinking he would then get the low renewal quote and make a claim. If this is what he has done it is “deliberately withholding a material fact from his insurer to receive a financial gain” also known as fraud. If this was the case his insurer would be entitled to void the current policy from the renewal date. Fortunately if we accept the OP has now told us all the relevant facts he is in the clear on this point.

Lets hope for the op sake the tap is not still dripping.

OP check the wording of the cancelation letter very carefully because you may need to advise your current insurer you have had a policy cancelled or voided in which case your new insurer is likely to do the same.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th May 17, 7:56 AM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Ah, now it all starts to make sense...
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 18th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 372 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Its much easier to give accurate advice when the full facts are disclosed.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I'll concede that I was wrong to assume that the OP had fabricated the story, and I apologise for doing so. However, the OP's account was and still is riddled with inconsistencies and holes. Trolling is not the right word to describe the OP's posts, but it is a waste of people's time when the original account is lacking in what turns out to be pertinent information and resembles a fictitious situation as a result. What do people hope to gain from posting an incomplete and biased account which favours their version of events? Do they just want a "there, there" reassurance that they're in the right and the nasty insurance company are being terribly unfair? How does that help them?
    • macman
    • By macman 18th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    Well I quickly recalculated on third party quote sites. They came in at £1400 and Hastings wasn't an option which means they must have blocked me from third party sites like compare the market. £1400 was with my no claims so it would have been more than the Hastings quote without. Also you say why bother on a 10 year old Astra, well I don't just have the expenditure to just go and purchase a new vehicle.
    Originally posted by Jimmandon
    I didn't suggest you bought a new car. I simply asked if your policy was fully comp, and if so, why pay out more per year in insurance than the vehicle is worth? If you only have TPFT cover, then your price is even more incredible.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 18th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    I didn't suggest you bought a new car. I simply asked if your policy was fully comp, and if so, why pay out more per year in insurance than the vehicle is worth? If you only have TPFT cover, then your price is even more incredible.
    Originally posted by macman
    You do know, that in a lot of cases, fully comp costs less that TP, right?
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 18th May 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 3,512 Thanks
    rudekid48
    I'll concede that I was wrong to assume that the OP had fabricated the story, and I apologise for doing so. However, the OP's account was and still is riddled with inconsistencies and holes. Trolling is not the right word to describe the OP's posts, but it is a waste of people's time when the original account is lacking in what turns out to be pertinent information and resembles a fictitious situation as a result. What do people hope to gain from posting an incomplete and biased account which favours their version of events? Do they just want a "there, there" reassurance that they're in the right and the nasty insurance company are being terribly unfair? How does that help them?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Ditto that. I also called BS on the story and I was wrong, but as you say; the first post was so muddled it was hard to see otherwise.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Car 54
    I too suspected a troll, and am happy to apologise for that.

In fairness to the OP, although his initial story was musleading, it can be difficult for "non-experts" to know which information is relevant. Long rambling accounts with too much extraneous info can also discourage helpers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,347Posts Today

7,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin