Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sophiem078
    • By Sophiem078 17th May 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sophiem078
    Notice period dispute
    • 17th May 17, 10:37 AM
    Notice period dispute 17th May 17 at 10:37 AM
    I require to hand in 1 months notice. I have noticed that a member of staff will be on holiday within my month notice period and I am conscious that my employer will dispute my notice leave and request I work more than the 1 month required. I am wondering where I stand should my employer request I stay longer
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    They can only ask you to stay longer than your contractual, they can't insist.

They can however refuse to let you take any accrued holiday during your notice period and opt to pay you for it after you leave.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th May 17, 10:47 AM
    • 30,309 Posts
    • 18,124 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th May 17, 10:47 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:47 AM
    unless your contractual notice include terms to cover the situation 1 month it is.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 17th May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:14 PM
    If your contractual notice period is 1 month, they cannot force you to give more than 1 month. The fact that it may leave them short staffed is a problem for them to resolve, not for you to worry about.
    Sadly, there is very little loyalty these days. If they wanted / needed to 'let you go' you can be pretty certain they wouldn't give more notice than legally required.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 17th May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 17th May 17, 3:38 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it, this isn't your worry - you'll be out of there soon, they will cope.

We've a Supervisor who for the people they aren't so fond of, for reasons unknown will literally forget to enter their holiday on the rota planner so you can imagine the back fire that is going to create as I've just noticed holiday authorised nearly 2 months ago not showing and seems to have allowed someone else to book leave at same time, I tell myself I'm covered as had received the email back confirming as authorised. I will be taking the holiday after waiting 6 months and having confirmation before the other colleague, it's a shut case. Far from the easiest thing to bring up but I'll have to face it head on as it's not like I'm going anywhere. See it could be worse!!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • GarthThomas
    • By GarthThomas 17th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    GarthThomas
    • 17th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:12 PM
    This doesn't make sense. If the other person is off during your notice, then you are already there to cover for them.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    This doesn't make sense. If the other person is off during your notice, then you are already there to cover for them.
    Originally posted by GarthThomas
    It is unclear.

The OP wrote that they were concerned the employer could dispute their "notice leave". That could suggest that the OP was planning to take (pre-booked?) leave during their notice period.

If that were the case the employer could cancel the leave but they could not extend the notice period.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,927Users online

Martin's Twitter