Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • royb
    • By royb 17th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    royb
    Can you get Woodworm in MDF skirtings??
    • 17th May 17, 10:33 AM
    Can you get Woodworm in MDF skirtings?? 17th May 17 at 10:33 AM
    I`m looking at replacing some skirting boards in my ground floor bathroom and suspect that the old ones may have signs of woodworm infestation as well as some damp rot..

I have heard that woodworm will not enter mdf board and seen them for sale ready primed/undercoated.

Can anyone tell me if this is true please?
Page 1
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 17th May 17, 10:38 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    • 17th May 17, 10:38 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:38 AM
    I can't see any self respecting insect wanting to chew all that glue/binder for a meal.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 22,612 Posts
    • 87,487 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    ....But if you still have any sign of damp, MDF probably isn't the best choice.

Woodworm like new, internally juicy wood, so dry, powdery MDF wouldn't hold any attraction even without the chemicals.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 12:01 PM
    • 59,197 Posts
    • 345,560 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 17, 12:01 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:01 PM
    I've got MDF doors/skirtings... seriously thinking about swapping them out for wood because the bottom of one door's spread/warped where a previous owner's been over-enthusiastic with mopping the floor (at a guess) ... and they don't half chip and dent easily! In my limited experience (never seen/had them before here), they don't have a long life span.... just long enough for the developers to have sold them on.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 12:33 PM
    • 22,612 Posts
    • 87,487 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 17, 12:33 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:33 PM
    They can be hard to get a good finish on, because despite having no knots, if you screw them on and apply filler, the water in the filler makes them swell locally around the hole, so then you spend ages rubbing them down, or risk a slight raised area.

I wouldn't use them in damp places, like bathrooms, either.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • missile
    • By missile 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    missile
    • 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:31 PM
    You really need to consider treatment for woodworm and rot.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,634Posts Today

9,638Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin