Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 17th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 90Thanks
    Glbooth3
    So what happens now?
    • 17th May 17, 10:17 AM
    So what happens now? 17th May 17 at 10:17 AM
    Newby here

Me and my partner are first time buyers, buying the house across the road currently private tenants.

So we have made an offer, been accepted, formal mortgage offer been given, and have just instructed my solicitors with all paperwork to start process and some money up front

Small chain, us just buying...our seller is selling and buying a property down the road, that seller is moving into rented

Just wondering what happens now and roughly (I know it can't be exact!) how long will it be until exchange/completion? What hurdles could there be?

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 17th May 17, 11:39 AM
    • 10,022 Posts
    • 3,902 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 17th May 17, 11:39 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:39 AM
    Your solicitors conclude everything swiftly without hassle in a blaze of glory.

[Actually, your question should be addressed to them - they are best placed to advise you on timescales - keep on their back throughout from here]
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 17th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • 17th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:40 AM
    Hi, also a first time buyer here. Our purchase was looking like it would go through fairly quickly as our sellers were going into rented or moving in with nephew so no problem. Our searches have threw up a few questions that needed further searches so that's always a delay. Impossible to say really on a time scale. We are currently at 6 weeks since offer was accepted. Hope your purchase runs smoothly x
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 17th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    • 17th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 17th May 17, 4:55 PM
    It's so nerve wracking isn't it! I can't wait to be in the house! I just keep looking at my window across the road at my house and I want to be in there now! ��
    • Cheeksx
    • By Cheeksx 17th May 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cheeksx
    • 17th May 17, 9:20 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:20 PM
    Good Luck! We've just had our mortgage in principle and we're doing our application on Monday 😄 our mortgage advisor says the process is roughly 3 months 😄
    • Shammi
    • By Shammi 24th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Shammi
    • 24th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 24th May 17, 10:42 AM
    Hi all,

Just reading through your thread. Had my AIP accepted on Monday but have to wait till next Friday to start full application process.

Feel like a sitting duck!

My Solicitor said once full application has been submitted the it should 8-10 weeks to exchange/completion. Seems like such a long time
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 24th May 17, 7:16 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    • 24th May 17, 7:16 PM
    • 24th May 17, 7:16 PM
    Oh my that is ages!!! Well we've had a week now since paid solicitor first lot of fees to conduct searches etc
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 24th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Zeni
    • 24th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 24th May 17, 8:01 PM
    It feels like ages - some weeks there will lots to do forms to read through etc whereas some weeks nothing happens! Now you wait until the searches come back and you get all information pack from your solicitors about the property.
    Its taken us 10 weeks to exchange today then complete next week so 11 weeks in total and were moving into a vacant property which was a buy to let so no real obstacles along our way to stall things.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,643Posts Today

8,891Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin