Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 17th May 17, 10:09 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 58Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    FTB - Worrying about nothing?
    • 17th May 17, 10:09 AM
    FTB - Worrying about nothing? 17th May 17 at 10:09 AM
    We are currently in the process of buying our first home.

We had an offer accepted on 29th April. We submitted our full mortgage application on 8th May and are still waiting to hear back with an offer.

The vendor is constantly asking me if we have heard back from the lender yet, its getting to the point where I think they are being overbearing and its got me worrying they will put the house back on the market.

Am I worrying over nothing or is the vendor being unreasonable as I think things have progressed quite quickly so far!
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 11,765 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    Have they done the valuation and survey (if having one) yet?

One reason why you should never give your phone number to the vendor lol!

I had pushy EAs once so I took it upon myself to email them saying things like 'no news today, I will chase today and if I've not heard anything by X day, will chase again.' Just send them regular updates with absolutely any bit of info to shut them up.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 17th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 3,540 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 17th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:34 AM
    we don't know what was discussed between you and the vendor. If it was agreed that it'd be a swift transaction then 13 working days (incl today since the offer was accepted) is a tad long.

Has the lender already completed the valuation? Is it booked? If not, it is very slow.
    By when do you want to exchange and complete? Is the vendor on the same page?
    Expat with an EU passport
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 11,765 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:45 AM
    Took me over a week to get an appointment with the lender, and took around 3 weeks to get a survey back. I don't think 13 days is a tad long at all.

Absolutely no point in discussing exchange/completion when you're only a couple of weeks or so in. Average is 3 months. I have done it in 5 weeks, but the time I wanted to exchange within 3 weeks (sold to an investor), it took 5 months (despite us being ready). You can say if you're - or if they are - in a rush for a deadline for a particular reason, but rushing for the sake of rushing just sends everyone mad. Nobody wants it to take forever, but just be aware of the 'average' (not the slowest by any stretch) and base it on that.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 17th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    • 17th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:48 AM
    My mortgage was approved very quickly subject to valuation but we had to wait 10 days for a surveyor to value the property for the lender plus there's was bank holidays inbetween. Sometimes things just take time.
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 17th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    • 17th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:50 AM
    Valuation was done 3 days after full application. Lender required another statement from us which was uploaded Monday and has to be processed by end of business today.

All being well we should have an offer by close of business Friday, so all in all 10 working days after full application. In my opinion that is quick work as some other people I've seen on here have been waiting weeks!

We want to exchange as quick as legally possible as there is no chain. Solicitors have been appointed already so they are running in the background. I have done everything I can to hurry the process along.

Its put me off ever buying a house again!!
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 17th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 3,540 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 17th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:55 AM
    as I said it depends on what was discussed and agreed - if you're on the same page then no need to worry.

After my offer was accepted (Mon morning) lender valuation was booked for mid week (after) and mortgage approved by end of week 2. 9 working days end to end.

My vendor wanted a swift transaction (no chain) but then took ages to get the leasehold pack!
    Expat with an EU passport
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 17th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 17th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:05 AM
    After my offer was accepted (Mon morning) lender valuation was booked for mid week (after) and mortgage approved by end of week 2. 9 working days end to end.
    Originally posted by always_sunny
    That is unusually fast.

Length of time varies between lenders, as they have different processes, and often approach things in a different order.

It is not unusual for it to take 3 - 4 weeks from submitting the application to receiving the offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,571Users online

Martin's Twitter