Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LizzieMM
    • By LizzieMM 17th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LizzieMM
    Under Floor Heating on top of existing flooring
    • 17th May 17, 10:00 AM
    Under Floor Heating on top of existing flooring 17th May 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hi there,

Looking for some advice. Our plumbers are suggesting they install a wet under floor heating system on top of some old parquet flooring we have (we wanted to get rid of of). I'm concerned that this won't be a suitable option in the long run and that we should insist that the parquet comes up before the new UFH system is installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want this to be an expensive mistake in the future.

We are considering fitting either engineered wood flooring on top of UFH system or kardean or Amtico vinyl.

Regards
    Lizzie
    Last edited by LizzieMM; 17-05-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Mis typing
Page 1
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 17th May 17, 10:12 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    MisterP123
    • 17th May 17, 10:12 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:12 AM
    I'd rip as much up as possible personally. You wan't a good quality insulation under the heating ideally, and retrofitting a wet system will add considerable depth to the floor if done properly anyway.

How high can the floor be raised before it becomes a nuisance? are all rooms being brought up to the same level?

Not my forte though, probably more knowledgeable people be along shortly.
    • LizzieMM
    • By LizzieMM 21st May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LizzieMM
    • 21st May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 21st May 17, 10:35 AM
    I've decided if we are to do it properly I have to lift up all the existing flooring. Better safe than sorry as it may end costing more in the long run. I am going to try and sell on the old flooring too! Thank you for taking the trouble to respond ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,521Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin