Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cazjoan
    • By Cazjoan 17th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cazjoan
    I just need a PVR...
    • 17th May 17, 9:53 AM
    I just need a PVR... 17th May 17 at 9:53 AM
    Why is there little on the market to choose from? All I want is a box that will give me FREEVIEW channels and either YOUVIEW or FREEVIEW PLAY, preferably the latter and to be able to record TV. There are just so few to choose from it seems. HUMAX dominates the market but I have had such bad service and luck with them. Even so this week I went to purchase a PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder rom Curry's but despite their computers saying there was one in stock it could not be found. So I relented and bought a HUMAX 4000T Capuccino. Well that went back next day! It would not settle at all and kept rebooting! No idea why..no way to know...no one actually ever knows why these things do not work. From experience I know that HUMAX do not for sure. So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate! I look at reviews for PANASONIC and although okay..none stunning I now do not know what to do. Seems like I am being punished for not signing up to BT or VIRGIN or SKY for a tv package and box!!!
Page 2
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 19th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    VisionMan
    Ours are quite old ;over 4 years. The one used in the bedroom is even older ,as it was a Tesco refurb, but it works fine with the little analogue tv, which needs a Freeview box and uses an indoor aerial.

I think there may be a problem with the new 4 channel 'coffee' machines, as Humax have lots of factory refurbs for sale, suggesting lots of returns. (I don't like the brown or brown and white colour schemes, but they do a black one called Nero, which is more expensive and only available direct.)
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    The new 4 channel 'coffee' machines are called Freeview Play and you surmise correctly. As just as the OP in post 1, many were bought and returned when the buyers of such realised how bad they were they took them back.

As a box, its a YouView wannabe that falls waaaay short. Though in fairness, Freeview Play thats been built into TVs has generally been well received. But the boxes? No.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,994Posts Today

6,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin