Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cazjoan
    • By Cazjoan 17th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cazjoan
    I just need a PVR...
    • 17th May 17, 9:53 AM
    I just need a PVR... 17th May 17 at 9:53 AM
    Why is there little on the market to choose from? All I want is a box that will give me FREEVIEW channels and either YOUVIEW or FREEVIEW PLAY, preferably the latter and to be able to record TV. There are just so few to choose from it seems. HUMAX dominates the market but I have had such bad service and luck with them. Even so this week I went to purchase a PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder rom Curry's but despite their computers saying there was one in stock it could not be found. So I relented and bought a HUMAX 4000T Capuccino. Well that went back next day! It would not settle at all and kept rebooting! No idea why..no way to know...no one actually ever knows why these things do not work. From experience I know that HUMAX do not for sure. So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate! I look at reviews for PANASONIC and although okay..none stunning I now do not know what to do. Seems like I am being punished for not signing up to BT or VIRGIN or SKY for a tv package and box!!!
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 8,795 Posts
    • 8,187 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 17th May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:40 AM
    The market seems to be diverging into products for streaming and products for recording, and as you've observed, the ISP's own products and choices are interfering with the operation of the open market for non-tied equipment.

I don't know what the answer is - ultimately if the market shifts then manufacturers will cease to make things that are no longer selling as well.

Also, as the market matures and more consumers take up these products, there is an issue of how to de-techify things so that non-technical consumers are confident about selecting, installing and using them. One short-cut to that is for the ISP they already trust to make a "recommendation" and possibly to provide technical support.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    All my various Humax boxes over the years have been 100% .Likewise i am sure the many forum members and other forums that recommend this make .

PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder
    TRY Richer Sounds / John Lewis /Amazon / Argos
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 17th May 17, 12:25 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 6,807 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 17th May 17, 12:25 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:25 PM
    I have a Panasonic freeview recorder which could also burn BDs if I wanted it to. No problems, straightforward user interface and it will record from the scart socket to the internal hard disk if I want it to.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 6,925 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    almillar
    • 17th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:37 PM
    So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate!
    Investigate what? Market forces? If you can look beyond what your local Currys stocks, you'll find a bit more, but not much. A FreeviewHD or Youview box is a UK product, not an international one, like a TV, so there's just less money to be made versus the design process.

And if you sign up to BT, you'll get a Humax box. Not sure what 'brand' their 4K box is though.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 17th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 17th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:11 PM
    And if you sign up to BT, you'll get a Humax box. Not sure what 'brand' their 4K box is though.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Humax..
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 17th May 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 17th May 17, 1:16 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:16 PM
    If you don't want Humax the market is rather limited, these two on Argos are made by Vestel a long established OEM brand in STB's:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2489502

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5423448

And TalkTalk boxes by Huawei, which you can get on Ebay etc.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 17th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 17th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:40 PM
    I have a Panasonic freeview recorder which could also burn BDs if I wanted it to. No problems, straightforward user interface and it will record from the scart socket to the internal hard disk if I want it to.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    That Panasonic freeview recorder and Bluray Player has been slaughtered on the internet for genarally being slow, buggy and unreliable. And its EPG the pits.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 17th May 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 17th May 17, 10:50 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:50 PM
    If you don't want Humax the market is rather limited, these two on Argos are made by Vestel a long established OEM brand in STB's:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2489502

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5423448

And TalkTalk boxes by Huawei, which you can get on Ebay etc.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    I wouldn't recommend Huawei boxes, as they are roundly criticised even by there own users. In fact, if one is just after a PVR, I wouldn't recommend YouView at all, as they are all now Cloud based. Internet connection required.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 18th May 17, 5:54 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    I wouldn't recommend Huawei boxes, as they are roundly criticised even by there own users. In fact, if one is just after a PVR, I wouldn't recommend YouView at all, as they are all now Cloud based. Internet connection required.
    Originally posted by VisionMan
    I bought one of them from ebay a couple of years ago for £30. I only use it for the months I do not need Sky but it has worked pretty well for me and paid for itself quite a few times over in saved Sky subscriptions.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    As Terry98, I purchased one off Ebay several years ago, brand new, never been an trouble.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 18th May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    VisionMan
    Theres a reason those Huaweis are only £30.
    If Cazjoan has an internet connection above 3Mbps then I would highly recommend the Humax YouView T2000 or T2100 (which is the same, only BT badged). I have them both and have never had a blip.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th May 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Theres a reason those Huaweis are only £30.
    If Cazjoan has an internet connection above 3Mbps then I would highly recommend the Humax YouView T2000 or T2100 (which is the same, only BT badged). I have them both and have never had a blip.
    Is there, I did not pay £30, but that's my business. I assume you don't own one or have not used one?

In one post you say you don't recommend Youview and then in the next you do! Confused.com

As for Humax read the OP's OP.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 18th May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 6,807 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    That Panasonic freeview recorder and Bluray Player has been slaughtered on the internet for genarally being slow, buggy and unreliable. And its EPG the pits.
    Interesting. I've had mine for almost three years now and have found it to be none of those things.

I haven't actually tried to record anything onto a bluray disk with it though, so don't know how well that would work, but everything else has been OK.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th May 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 6,058 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    We have had a few Humax over the years. Really liked them but eventually they die and formatting the hard disk just isn't enough to resurrect them. The last Humax we got was just awful - constantly rebooting. Had to take it back and get the Panasonic instead. We don't like the Panasonic much - awful interface, some functional gaps, terrible implementation of iPlayer and AmazonPrime - but it does work.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 18th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    VisionMan
    Interesting. I've had mine for almost three years now and have found it to be none of those things.

I haven't actually tried to record anything onto a bluray disk with it though, so don't know how well that would work, but everything else has been OK.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Sorry onomatopoeia99, I was talking about the latest Panasonic ones with Freeview Play built in, such as the Humax one the OP bought and returned in post 1.

A Humax YouView on the other hand is a far different proposition, as Humax may make them, but they are built to YouView spec standards. They are the best boxes I have ever owned.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We've had 4 PVRs (just basic recorders, no catchup) and the two Humax brand are still going whereas the other two ceased working after about two years. (One was Digihome and the other Pace; the former stopped recording and the latter would no longer function via the remote control.)

I do agree about poor customer service from Humax, though ,as on buying our first, I messaged the website about warranty periods which were different in ads and in the accompanying paperwork, but got no reply.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 18th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    VisionMan
    We've had 4 PVRs (just basic recorders, no catchup) and the two Humax brand are still going whereas the other two ceased working after about two years. (One was Digihome and the other Pace; the former stopped recording and the latter would no longer function via the remote control.)

I do agree about poor customer service from Humax, though ,as on buying our first, I messaged the website about warranty periods which were different in ads and in the accompanying paperwork, but got no reply.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I've never owned a retail Humax, but do talk to users of them. Apparently another major fault is that they can take years to get updates out to get their boxes up to near 100% performance. But then bring out their next model and stop supporting the old one.

Thankfully YouView updates are from YouView and there have been many. And also still include and support its first generation 2012 model.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 29,515 Posts
    • 18,661 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Why is there little on the market to choose from? All I want is a box that will give me FREEVIEW channels and either YOUVIEW or FREEVIEW PLAY, preferably the latter and to be able to record TV. There are just so few to choose from it seems. HUMAX dominates the market but I have had such bad service and luck with them. Even so this week I went to purchase a PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder rom Curry's but despite their computers saying there was one in stock it could not be found. So I relented and bought a HUMAX 4000T Capuccino. Well that went back next day! It would not settle at all and kept rebooting! No idea why..no way to know...no one actually ever knows why these things do not work. From experience I know that HUMAX do not for sure. So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate! I look at reviews for PANASONIC and although okay..none stunning I now do not know what to do. Seems like I am being punished for not signing up to BT or VIRGIN or SKY for a tv package and box!!!
    Originally posted by Cazjoan

OP you say its something for MSE to investigate but whats the point ?

What do you want the investigation to find ?

That theres a lack of boxes that fit your criteria.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've never owned a retail Humax, but do talk to users of them. Apparently another major fault is that they can take years to get updates out to get their boxes up to near 100% performance. But then bring out their next model and stop supporting the old one.

Thankfully YouView updates are from YouView and there have been many. And also still include and support its first generation 2012 model.

Ours are quite old ;over 4 years. The one used in the bedroom is even older ,as it was a Tesco refurb, but it works fine with the little analogue tv, which needs a Freeview box and uses an indoor aerial.

I think there may be a problem with the new 4 channel 'coffee' machines, as Humax have lots of factory refurbs for sale, suggesting lots of returns. (I don't like the brown or brown and white colour schemes, but they do a black one called Nero, which is more expensive and only available direct.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,318Posts Today

7,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin