Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 17th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 110Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Gastines3
    Info on buying Housing Association House?
    • 17th May 17, 9:29 AM
    Info on buying Housing Association House? 17th May 17 at 9:29 AM
    Without my Daughters knowledge.. She has lived in a H.A.House for about 20 years,always worked and never asked for any financial help,although new kitchen/car etc. have been given over the years. My wife and I would like to know if these half rent/half own on a mortgage properties,are possible to buy. Does the half owned by the H.A. value at today's current value,we presume it does and is there any discount for long term tenants as with Council properties?Any advice welcomed.
Page 1
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 17th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 17th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:35 AM
    You want to buy the house your daughter lives in without her knowing about it?
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gastines3
    • 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    No. We want to give her the money to buy it but are trying to get a few ideas on budget first,totally in her name.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 8,129 Posts
    • 27,174 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 17th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:58 AM
    My wife and I would like to know if these half rent/half own on a mortgage properties,are possible to buy.
    Originally posted by Gastines3
    I'm not sure what you mean by this?
    Are you asking if it's possible to buy her housing association property on a shared ownership basis, rather than buy it outright?
    It's a bit weird that you're looking in to this without your daughters knowledge, surely it's up to her to decide if she wants to buy and do the research herself?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 17th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:22 AM
    I agree, it's not clear what you're trying to achieve here. The way forward would be to talk to your daughter and say this is something you might be able to do, depending on cost. She can then apply to find out how much it will cost and whether there's a discount.

Does she even want to own the property? Many people prefer a secure, affordable rental to owning.

Edit:
    I've just reread your post. Are you saying she's currently in a 50% shared ownership house and you want to buy the other half for her? If so, this may or may not be possible. Some shared ownership properties can never be staircased up to 100% as they're supposed to remain as affordable housing. Your daughter would need to contact the HA.
    Last edited by Penitent; 17-05-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 23,100 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:49 AM
    https://www.peabodysales.co.uk/shared-ownership/buying-shares-in-your-shared-ownership-home/

Is the above relevant to the case?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 5,683 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:56 AM
    Are you saying she's currently in a 50% shared ownership house and you want to buy the other half for her?
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I think this is what the OP means.
    Whether the daughter is entitled to buy the other half depends on the agreement she signed with the HA. It would normally be at market value rather than a discount.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 17th May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 17th May 17, 3:03 PM
    I think this is what the OP means.
    Whether the daughter is entitled to buy the other half depends on the agreement she signed with the HA. It would normally be at market value rather than a discount.
    Originally posted by davidmcn

That would account for the OP buying the daughter a kitchen, as this would be unlikely in a 'straight' rented property.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 17th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 3,497 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 17th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:22 PM
    Generally, HA properties have the right to acquire. Discounts are capped at £16k. Some do offer Shared Ownership deals as well.
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 17th May 17, 8:11 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gastines3
    It seems what I thought might be a straightforward,or fairly straightforward,query isn't, as I have obviously not put over the relevant points. A,Reason we ask is because she would never ask for a penny,so trying to find out any pitfalls before we broach the subject.B,We obviously can't/won't make any direct enquiries to the H.A. without her knowledge and C. We are almost sorry we asked the question. Goodnight.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Penitent
    People took the time to answer your question. No-one was abusive. And yet, instead of saying thank you, you announce you're sorry you asked. Lovely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,823Posts Today

9,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin