Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The_Topcat
    • By The_Topcat 17th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    The_Topcat
    Broken meter: moving out soon
    • 17th May 17, 9:16 AM
    Broken meter: moving out soon 17th May 17 at 9:16 AM
    Hi all

I moved into my 1-bedroom apartment in August 2016 and when I was to give my first reading in September 2016 I made npower aware that my meter was faulty (blank, broken). At this very first point I made them aware that I was okay with paying the estimate for now (39 per month) but I expected it to be lower than this once they fixed my meter, as I work away 2-3 days a week.

Fast-forward to now and it still hasn't been fixed. They have had a lot of problems with the contractors. The customer service has been quite good and they keep me updated so it hasn't led to frustration but I'm moving into my new home in two weeks and I can't help feeling I've overpaid. I understand 39 per month isn't bad but they don't take into consideration my 2 holidays, for 2 weeks each, where I haven't used energy or that I work away 2-3 days a week.

Can people recommend a possible course of action I should take? They won't be able to take a sample reading now due to me moving out. I don't know what I can say to them to request a lower bill / refund.

Appreciate any help.
Page 1
  • nPower
    • 17th May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:46 AM
    Hi all

I moved into my 1-bedroom apartment in August 2016 and when I was to give my first reading in September 2016 I made npower aware that my meter was faulty (blank, broken). At this very first point I made them aware that I was okay with paying the estimate for now (39 per month) but I expected it to be lower than this once they fixed my meter, as I work away 2-3 days a week.

Fast-forward to now and it still hasn't been fixed. They have had a lot of problems with the contractors. The customer service has been quite good and they keep me updated so it hasn't led to frustration but I'm moving into my new home in two weeks and I can't help feeling I've overpaid. I understand 39 per month isn't bad but they don't take into consideration my 2 holidays, for 2 weeks each, where I haven't used energy or that I work away 2-3 days a week.

Can people recommend a possible course of action I should take? They won't be able to take a sample reading now due to me moving out. I don't know what I can say to them to request a lower bill / refund.

Appreciate any help.
    Originally posted by The_Topcat

Hi The_Topcat

Thank you for posting and I'm sorry for the time it is taking to resolve this matter for you. I will be happy to take a look at this if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • The_Topcat
    • By The_Topcat 17th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The_Topcat
    • 17th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:17 AM
    Hi The_Topcat

Thank you for posting and I'm sorry for the time it is taking to resolve this matter for you. I will be happy to take a look at this if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky
    Originally posted by nPower
    Hi Vicky

Thank you for your reply. I will send you the details of my case in an e-mail as this has already been reported as a complaint with all of the information provided in my post. I am wondering what can be done today as the wrong type of contractor was sent again today (third or fourth time?).

Thank you
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 17th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 17th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:49 AM
    Chances are that failure to fix the problem are down to n'power's communications, or lack of, with the Energy Distribution Co for your area who own the meter and are resposible for fixing it.

However with no Start Reading from when you moved in, and no End Reading when the meter is changed or you move out, there is no possible way for n'power to calculate how much energy you have used, it's cost and if your account is in Debit or Credit, and nor I'm afraid can you

If in fact you were staying in the flat for some time after the meter was fixed, the solution would be to measure your consumption on the new meter and draw up a bill for the missing period on those figures

At the outset n'power would have put you on their 'Variable Tariff' which is the most expensive, so if they did ever manage to produce a bill, it would not be a small one

On worry is that none of your communications are in writing and any future problem arising will be argued on a 'He said'/They said' basis.
    Protect your own interests by WRITING to n'power heading the letter Complaint, setting out this saga Chapter & Verse and making the points that they have failed produce bills that show your account Credit/Debit status, and have also prevented you moving to a cheaper tariff with themselves or any other supplier
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin