Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 540Posts
    • 501Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up 17th May 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
    ASDA - £38.43
    Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.
Page 5
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Aug 17, 5:07 PM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 19,190 Thanks
    Doc N
    I agree - setting it up would be enormously costly, and it would be well nigh impossible to make it profitable.

The only extremely faint possibility I could see would be some sort of link with Ocado if Ocado itself became so desperate for additional business that it cut Aldi or Lidl a particularly competitive and only marginally profitable deal.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Aug 17, 5:23 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,362 Thanks
    maman
    I can't see them doing it myself. I realise it would be helpful for some people but that's not really their model. Around here their shops tend to be in local communities and heaps of people walk there which is why they can get away with a small car park.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Aug 17, 7:34 PM
    • 23,201 Posts
    • 48,439 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I saw in Aldi yesterday, in a typical "trifle for 4" plastic packaging, an Eton Mess! The £1/or so cheap trifle I was looking for was nowhere to be seen.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Funny you should say that, I made a tropical fruit trifle for a birthday celebration the other day, using mostly Aldi ingredients and I was thinking how for £7.50 I should have just bought a big cake instead.

Having said that, the trifle was big and served 10 greedy guts...twice with leftovers to spare. It was so big that had it been for sale it would have been labelled "trifle for 50"
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 9th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    I'm still confused with the whole Aldi thing, i tried it and i ended up going Tesco 2 days later and binning half of what i had bought from Aldi as it was just disgusting food. They were also not really any cheaper and the choice of products was at best dire.

The only thing i can say i actually enjoyed from their was the chocolate, and their fruit/veg seemed no worse just annoying the lack of best before on the packaging. (Not so i know what to bin, just more so i know what to use up first when i have a few packs!)

Their spaghetti hoops tasted like the tomato sauce contained petrol - binned after 1 mouth full.
    Their version of cheese strings tasted nothing like cheese strings - spat out in the bin, and then binned the rest
    Their version of monster much or quavers the flavour was very uneven so you would end up with a plain crisps one end and an over flavoured part at the other end.
    Their Red and Green curry sauces had big bits in it, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's is smooth with no big bits in.

Thats to name but a few things. When i last went i could get a garlic bread in Aldi for about 30p and they were around 30p in Tesco or 28p in Asda.

The quorn chicken peices were at the time £1.50 in Aldi and £1.50 in Tesco, and Asda. Add to this i would have to go to one of the big 4 anyway because Aldi don't really stock much, so more fuel and more time, and at Tesco i get club card points which i can convert to Airmiles.

I am left really puzzled why people go Aldi, just go Tesco/Asda and see how low you can go brand wise either Branded / Home Brand / Value and get the lowest you like to make your shopping cheaper and have the advantage of much better choice and better tasting food and not being rushed through the checkouts.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,362 Thanks
    maman
    Sounds like you've not been there for a while. They now have best before dates on fruit and veg which replaced the weekly codes. They've also increased their range so no need to get much elsewhere.

I can't speak for spaghetti hoops as I don't have those but I'm pleased with the items I buy. I do mostly cook from scratch so I'm buying basic ingredients but have tried curry and macaroni cheese ready meals and they're fine.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 8,824 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    meer53
    I'm still confused with the whole Aldi thing, i tried it and i ended up going Tesco 2 days later and binning half of what i had bought from Aldi as it was just disgusting food. They were also not really any cheaper and the choice of products was at best dire.

The only thing i can say i actually enjoyed from their was the chocolate, and their fruit/veg seemed no worse just annoying the lack of best before on the packaging. (Not so i know what to bin, just more so i know what to use up first when i have a few packs!)

Their spaghetti hoops tasted like the tomato sauce contained petrol - binned after 1 mouth full.
    Their version of cheese strings tasted nothing like cheese strings - spat out in the bin, and then binned the rest
    Their version of monster much or quavers the flavour was very uneven so you would end up with a plain crisps one end and an over flavoured part at the other end.
    Their Red and Green curry sauces had big bits in it, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's is smooth with no big bits in.

Thats to name but a few things. When i last went i could get a garlic bread in Aldi for about 30p and they were around 30p in Tesco or 28p in Asda.

The quorn chicken peices were at the time £1.50 in Aldi and £1.50 in Tesco, and Asda. Add to this i would have to go to one of the big 4 anyway because Aldi don't really stock much, so more fuel and more time, and at Tesco i get club card points which i can convert to Airmiles.

I am left really puzzled why people go Aldi, just go Tesco/Asda and see how low you can go brand wise either Branded / Home Brand / Value and get the lowest you like to make your shopping cheaper and have the advantage of much better choice and better tasting food and not being rushed through the checkouts.
    Originally posted by 2ilent8cho
    I find Aldi fruit and veg much better than the main supermarkets. I really don't understand how you can call their food disgusting, some of their stuff is way better quality than anything i've ever bought in Tesco/Asda etc. And way cheaper. I detest having to shop anywhere else, i just wish they'd start selling Pepsi (my kids won't drink the cheap stuff) I can get it in Lidl though so not so bad.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Sep 17, 6:30 AM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 19,190 Thanks
    Doc N
    .......I am left really puzzled why people go Aldi, just go Tesco/Asda and see how low you can go brand wise either Branded / Home Brand / Value and get the lowest you like to make your shopping cheaper and have the advantage of much better choice and better tasting food and not being rushed through the checkouts.
    As already pointed out, it's obvious from the comments in your post that it's some time since you shopped at Aldi.

It's also obvious from survey after survey in Which? magazine and elsewhere that your views aren't shared by many other people. Aldi consistently outperforms Tesco and Asda by a very long margin, and if it really were as bad as you seem to think it is I doubt it would be doing as well as it is - and I doubt the car parks would have so many expensive cars in!

"Aldi has overtaken Marks & Spencer and Waitrose as the best-performing supermarket for customer satisfaction in a survey of 10,000 shoppers.

The Institute of Customer Service ranked 245 organisations from various sectors on factors such as staff professionalism and complaint handling.

Amazon topped the list followed by the online bank First Direct, retailer John Lewis and tour firm Jet2holidays.com.

Aldi came seventh overall, up from 34th place last July. Waitrose and Marks & Spencer ranked 13th and 14th, having been the highest-scoring supermarkets last year at joint third place."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 23,201 Posts
    • 48,439 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    If people wish to continue lining the pockets of Tesco shareholders, that is their prerogative. I have much better things to do with my money.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,362 Thanks
    maman
    I find Aldi fruit and veg much better than the main supermarkets. I really don't understand how you can call their food disgusting, some of their stuff is way better quality than anything i've ever bought in Tesco/Asda etc. And way cheaper. I detest having to shop anywhere else, i just wish they'd start selling Pepsi (my kids won't drink the cheap stuff) I can get it in Lidl though so not so bad.
    Originally posted by meer53

My Aldi is going to be closed for refurbishment next month and I'm planning alternatives already!

I think I'll be driving 12 miles to another branch that I've used before when I've been working in the area. There is a slightly nearer one (I might give it one more chance) but it's usually disorganised. I think a lot depends on the manager how local stores are run.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 19,190 Thanks
    Doc N
    ......There is a slightly nearer one (I might give it one more chance) but it's usually disorganised. I think a lot depends on the manager how local stores are run.
    Originally posted by maman
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed at how much difference a good manager can make to a store.

They're pretty well paid (£43,750 rising to £57,050 after 4 years, including a minimum annual bonus of £2,000 for those working in stores within the M25) - so they ought to be able to make a difference.

Good career for a hardworking graduate, too - £44k starting salary, rising to £73,450 as an Area Manager within 4 years.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 59,894 Posts
    • 350,155 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Everybody has differing budgets, food tastes and travel distances.

I can walk to both Aldi and Lidl, so "free". Tesco/Asda would involve a £2 fuel charge there/back. As I usually spend £3-6 per visit, going about twice a week as I need things, it'd cost more to get the food than I spend on it.

A smaller product range means you're not tempted by prettier looking things... I go into Aldi for big bread rolls - there they are, do you want a pack or not? Job done.

I have often found, in the past, that even if I do drive to the other supermarkets they either don't stock what I was there for, or the shelf is empty - so I've done all that trip for nothing and I then have to visit 1-2 other shops to get something quite straight forward. At Xmas I even went to Asda TWICE for one thing (crab pate) and they didn't have it either time.

As for being rushed through the checkouts, I stack it up in the order I'll be packing it, so no problems there - and their model is you're supposed to shove it back into the trolley and then go to the shelf to pack it into your own bags. I always have a basket, so pack it as it comes through the till as I've laid it out in the right order. I've also worked out how much I've spent and have either roughly the right money ready, or my card in my pocket (put there while queueing).
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,362 Thanks
    maman
    Just out of interest I found an old Aldi receipt in the back of a drawer today. It's 18 months old. I couldn't compare much as I always buy as many Super 6 as I can and different things on offer. But compared with Sainsbury's where I've seen 20% increases l found: eggs, cottage cheese and asparagus no change, 1p on a kg of carrots, 2p on broccoli and (shock horror) 10p on my favourite chocolate!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 23,201 Posts
    • 48,439 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    and (shock horror) 10p on my favourite chocolate!
    Originally posted by maman
    Probably a good thing! I know no longer buy branded chocolate as it's far too expensive for what it is. A certain brand is now nearly double the price per gram it was 10 years ago, and the quality is now awful.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed at how much difference a good manager can make to a store.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I'm not. A good manager will make for a happy team, satisfied customers and ringing tills

• maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,362 Thanks
    maman
    Probably a good thing! I know no longer buy branded chocolate as it's far too expensive for what it is. A certain brand is now nearly double the price per gram it was 10 years ago, and the quality is now awful.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    The one plus is that my favourite 70% Moser Roth comes in little bars inside the pack. I try to just share a small bar with DH but it's not easy.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 15th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    robrymond
    To be fair, this week I noticed a mass of red label reductions again. Premium curry sauces now 77p (were £1.19 at one point).

Only thing that bugs me is the price of the buttery spread still at £1.75. most other prices have been the same for years on a number of things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin