Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 402Posts
    • 377Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up 17th May 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
    ASDA - £38.43
    Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.
Page 4
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 17th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 17th Jul 17, 6:40 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    robrymond
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.
    Originally posted by Gnocchi
    I think Lidl could do with more expansion and I'd like Aldi to expand to take the pressure off existing stores. However it could all back-fire in the future and expand too quickly and then end up like Tesco with stores closing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,458Posts Today

9,259Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin