Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 539Posts
    • 501Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up 17th May 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
    ASDA - £38.43
    Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.
Page 4
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 17th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 17th Jul 17, 6:40 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    robrymond
    Saw a tweet today that Aldi is looking to recruit 4000 new staff and Lidl is aiming to open one new store per week for the next ten years, according to a tweet from The Grocer.

Wondering how more Lidl and Aldi stores would affect prices. Might Aldi and Lidl try to go more mainstream and increase prices and widen ranges ?

Alternatively, would Tesco and Sainsbury lower theirs ?

I've noticed amount of offers on Ocado reduced drastically but not many price rises. However in Sainsbury's and Tesco fresh stuff is up. My carrots up 25p, apples 10p, olive oil 50p.
    Originally posted by Gnocchi
    I think Lidl could do with more expansion and I'd like Aldi to expand to take the pressure off existing stores. However it could all back-fire in the future and expand too quickly and then end up like Tesco with stores closing.
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 7th Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    Update. The 1kg 50p/55p bag disappeared sometime in June and was replaced by 1.5kg bag for 85p. Today the 1kg bag has returned. ....and is now 63p!!!!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Aug 17, 6:35 AM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 129,864 Thanks
    mardatha
    I was in Aldi at the weekend and got some stuff that normally would have been £25 ish. At the till it was £34! No point going out of my way to get there any more.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 8th Aug 17, 9:31 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I was in Aldi at the weekend and got some stuff that normally would have been £25 ish. At the till it was £34! No point going out of my way to get there any more.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Surely that's too great a difference to be accounted for by prices rises of a few per cent here and there?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 8th Aug 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'd check your receipt to make sure it's accurate.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Aug 17, 4:05 PM
    • 16,629 Posts
    • 99,314 Thanks
    maman
    I'd check your receipt to make sure it's accurate.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon

I'd compare your receipt to the one from the week before. I realise that some commodities have gone up more than others but even Sainsbury's has limited increases to about 20%. Your bill has increased closer to 35%

You're either very unlucky, bought something extra unexpectedly or there's an error.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Aug 17, 4:40 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 129,864 Thanks
    mardatha
    3 items accounted for £10 of it, I did check the receipt yes.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Aug 17, 4:45 PM
    • 59,874 Posts
    • 350,071 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    In my opinion .... "it all started going wrong" when the middle classes "discovered" them - and they then rode the back of that horse and upped their posh game by introducing "premium" and "de luxe" ranges, accompanied by more advertising, including on the telly.

All that needs to be paid for.

They used to be good utilitarian shops - now I struggle to find any "real/proper" food in there as everything's gone "up market" in what they sell.

Only two cheap quiche flavours.... just 3' from a raft of salmon packages!

I saw in Aldi yesterday, in a typical "trifle for 4" plastic packaging, an Eton Mess! The £1/or so cheap trifle I was looking for was nowhere to be seen.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 08-08-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Aug 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,282 Posts
    • 19,188 Thanks
    Doc N
    In my opinion .... "it all started going wrong" when the middle classes "discovered" them - and they then rode the back of that horse and upped their posh game by introducing "premium" and "de luxe" ranges, accompanied by more advertising, including on the telly.

All that needs to be paid for.

They used to be good utilitarian shops - now I struggle to find any "real/proper" food in there as everything's gone "up market" in what they sell.

Only two cheap quiche flavours.... just 3' from a raft of salmon packages!

I saw in Aldi yesterday, in a typical "trifle for 4" plastic packaging, an Eton Mess! The £1/or so cheap trifle I was looking for was nowhere to be seen.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I take your point entirely, but an alternative viewpoint is that it's the high margin premium ranges that are enabling Aldi and Lidl to improve their stores to continue to attract customers away from the major supermarkets. And also to cross-subsidise the lower margin products they still sell at rock bottom prices.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 8th Aug 17, 8:11 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    A. Badger
    You can still save serious amounts of money in Aldi. Just today I bought English Cherries from them at under £5 per kilo. A top-up shop at Sainsbury's later this afternoon revealed English cherries at around £7!

Similarly, a can of USA produced red salmon in Aldi is £1.89. The same product in Sainsbury's costs £2.60.

And all the while the voice on the Tannoy intones 'live well for less'!
    • wench02
    • By wench02 8th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wench02
    I do a mix of shopping between lidl/Tesco/aldi/home bargains/b&m. I am very lucky that they are all within a five minute drive of each other (apart from aldi, but I drive past there once a week).

I have found myself shopping less at tescos as their value range is constantly decreasing, and I'm a skinflint and not very well off. Lidl et al often offer better value for money on fruit/veg/eggs than Tesco, but as im only cooking for myself I can only really get the very little fruit and veg I need from tescos loose, and their value eggs are the cheapest ones (a pack of ten is no use to me!)
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 13th Aug 17, 7:00 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 6,578 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Yes, but it really is just bits and bobs or brands that you really love. I think that's been a very welcome change. It's now quite possible to do a full shop in Aldi.
    Originally posted by maman
    Depends what you want. I still find there's lots of things I can't get in Aldi or Lidl.
    • zorber
    • By zorber 27th Aug 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    zorber
    That's utter nonsense, though the Brexit lobby are doubtless still peddling all the lies they pushed out pre-referendum.

The fall in the pound was a direct and immediate result of the referendum outcome, simply because currency markets always look to the future. The markets just reflect a world view of the value of the pound, and the referendum outcome damaged that value irrevocably. Hardly surprising, given that this small, relatively unimportant, country now has to fight for a trade deal to keep us afloat against 27 other countries, all keen to defend the EU. If we get a deal it will be inferior to what we have now, and if we don't we're sunk.

Madness - and the rising price of food and everything else is just an inevitable consequence. You may not like being told that, but the dire predictions are now being fulfilled, and that's one of the reasons Theresa May's just proved herself to be the second incompetent Prime Minister in a row.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Whilst i dont like the effect that the brexit is having currently on our currency, i think taking the view that we will get an inferior deal and if we dont get that deal we are sunk.

should the EU impose tarriffs then they shoot them selves in the foot, all these price rises on food, where do we think this food gets manufactured or ingredients obtained from? EU countries! so if taffifs cause further price hikes then it will cost jobs in EU countries as what we import will get less.

On the other hand investment has grown considerably in the UK i read in a paper the other day since brexit was launched. It is now cheaper to export manufactured goods from the UK. exiting Europe will also open up a world market that we have been unable to negotiate deals with due to being locked into the EU.
    The EU dont want us to leave as we have been a huge cash cow for them so they will make it as painful as they can until they realise its hurting them as much.

Going back to the topic of price rises. If you believe Tescos ASDA etc cannot negotiate the same cost prices for goods as lidls and Aldi then your wrong, they can. However the real saving for lidls and Aldi which allows it to pump out these prices is labour cost.
    When you look at how lidls and aldi bullies it staff to work at 100% all the time, how fast they scan the products through the till etc. and generally how few staff you see in those stores and compare them to the big supermarkets then you see where they get their cost saving from. The biggest factor affecting supermarket profits is the cost of staffing them.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
    • maman
    • By maman 27th Aug 17, 3:07 PM
    • 16,629 Posts
    • 99,314 Thanks
    maman
    Going back to the topic of price rises. If you believe Tescos ASDA etc cannot negotiate the same cost prices for goods as lidls and Aldi then your wrong, they can. However the real saving for lidls and Aldi which allows it to pump out these prices is labour cost.
    When you look at how lidls and aldi bullies it staff to work at 100% all the time, how fast they scan the products through the till etc. and generally how few staff you see in those stores and compare them to the big supermarkets then you see where they get their cost saving from. The biggest factor affecting supermarket profits is the cost of staffing them.
    Originally posted by zorber

I'm not sure you've got that right. Aldi and Lidl advertise starting rates of £8.53 and £8.45 per hour for store assistants compared with £8 at our local Sainsbury's. I'm not surprised as only this week I had a conversation with someone in Sainsbury's who told me that they were short staffed because people keep leaving.

Recently I've found the checkouts a little less manic but I've got used to the system so it doesn't bother me. At least Aldi still has friendly, efficient people at the checkouts rather than the increasing number of self check out machines at Asda and Sainsbury's.

Personally, if I was to work there I'd rather be kept busy.

I think where they do save is on the general warehouse style of the shops but if you want to pay more for a 'shopping experience' in Waitrose then that's your choice. I'm happy with Aldi.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 27th Aug 17, 6:36 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    Ken68
    Not sure if its relevant but Lidl and maybe Aldi are private companies against Tesco having to please shareholders.
    • zorber
    • By zorber 28th Aug 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    zorber
    I'm not sure you've got that right. Aldi and Lidl advertise starting rates of £8.53 and £8.45 per hour for store assistants compared with £8 at our local Sainsbury's. I'm not surprised as only this week I had a conversation with someone in Sainsbury's who told me that they were short staffed because people keep leaving.

so which bit havent i got right?

Lidls and Aldi need to pay more to attract the workers because unlike sainsburys etc they dont let them stand around chatting its on the go all shift no stopping or slacking!

But yes i think what your assuming is lidls/aldi and sainsburys use exactly the same number of man hours to achieve the same result.
    nope. they use far less man hours and these is where their labour saving comes from. your looking at less than 50% man hours used compared to say Sainsburys.

Quite easy to start working out some of the savings, No cigarrette kiosk needing to be staffed! no customer complaints desk! no department heads. (very flat management structure) minimum checkouts (no checkouts just siting there waiting for customers) thats just a start!!!

the following example is loose maths just to give you an idea of the savings that can be made.
    Assume the sales in both Aldi and and Sainburys are the same.
    Aldi use 500 man hours for the week average cost £9 total labour cost £4500 per week
    sainsburys use 1500 man hours at £8 total weekly cost total £12000 per week, difference £7500
    so over 52 weeks £390,000 saved in wages,
    now maybe your starting to see the efficiencies employed to reduce costs and make the retail price cheaper.
    All the big supermarkets buy goods at a very similar cost price.

This is why a couple of years ago you saw morrisons remove middle management in their stores. Tescos cutting head office staff. Labour cost are the easiest saving to make.

Sainsbury's.

I think where they do save is on the general warehouse style of the shops but if you want to pay more for a 'shopping experience' in Waitrose then that's your choice.
    Do you not think that this is a labour save? So by operating a warehouse style you need less staff/labour ? So cost less? Which is my point! There are no real savings from purchasing from the supplier as all the supermarkets are now so big they all have the same buying power. but the less staff you have to use well thats huge! Which goes nicely with your observation of increasing number of self checkout units.
    Last edited by zorber; 28-08-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 129,864 Thanks
    mardatha
    Does anybody think Aldi will start online shopping and delivery? To me that's essential and Sainsbugs is far more reliable than Asda so I don't mind paying more.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Aug 17, 11:56 AM
    • 16,629 Posts
    • 99,314 Thanks
    maman
    so which bit havent i got right?

Lidls and Aldi need to pay more to attract the workers because unlike sainsburys etc they dont let them stand around chatting its on the go all shift no stopping or slacking!

But yes i think what your assuming is lidls/aldi and sainsburys use exactly the same number of man hours to achieve the same result.
    nope. they use far less man hours and these is where their labour saving comes from. your looking at less than 50% man hours used compared to say Sainsburys.

Quite easy to start working out some of the savings, No cigarrette kiosk needing to be staffed! no customer complaints desk! no department heads. (very flat management structure) minimum checkouts (no checkouts just siting there waiting for customers) thats just a start!!!

the following example is loose maths just to give you an idea of the savings that can be made.
    Assume the sales in both Aldi and and Sainburys are the same.
    Aldi use 500 man hours for the week average cost £9 total labour cost £4500 per week
    sainsburys use 1500 man hours at £8 total weekly cost total £12000 per week, difference £7500
    so over 52 weeks £390,000 saved in wages,
    now maybe your starting to see the efficiencies employed to reduce costs and make the retail price cheaper.
    All the big supermarkets buy goods at a very similar cost price.

This is why a couple of years ago you saw morrisons remove middle management in their stores. Tescos cutting head office staff. Labour cost are the easiest saving to make.

Do you not think that this is a labour save? So by operating a warehouse style you need less staff/labour ? So cost less? Which is my point! There are no real savings from purchasing from the supplier as all the supermarkets are now so big they all have the same buying power. but the less staff you have to use well thats huge! Which goes nicely with your observation of increasing number of self checkout units.
    Originally posted by zorber

Your argument explains why Aldi and Lidl can make a profit while paying their staff more per hour than, for example, Sainsbury's. I'd expect that, they're businesses not charities.

The stores are small relative to other supermarkets so why would they need several layers of management? I like the hands on approach. It's good to see a manager helping to stack shelves or take a turn at the checkout.

So, in my example, a retail assistant is attracted to Aldi because they'll earn more but the deal is they'll keep working for the whole shift and won't be able to stand around and chat. Is this a problem? I've worked in shops and much preferred being kept busy.

The customer doesn't have the same shopping experience because it's warehouse style. Is it a huge inconvenience to go to the (fast moving) checkout queue or speak to one of the helpful staff on the shop floor for a refund rather than a Customer Services desk? I'd say that Aldi's increasing number of customers don't think so.

Your argument seems to be that Aldi saves money by bullying staff and giving customers poor service. I disagree. I think they have a more successful business model, particularly for the current climate.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 29th Aug 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Does anybody think Aldi will start online shopping and delivery? To me that's essential and Sainsbugs is far more reliable than Asda so I don't mind paying more.
    Nope I don't think that either Aldi or Lidl will start online delivery.
    I remember reading ( can't recall where ) that all the major supermarkets make a loss on home delivery of around £7 per delivery.
    HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,309Posts Today

8,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin