Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 381Posts
    • 355Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up 17th May 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
    ASDA - £38.43
    Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.
Page 2
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    robrymond
    I noticed prices rising in the past month or so at Aldi. A lot of prices simply raised to what I call the 'pre-deflation' price when the supermarkets crunched prices in late 2015 and early 2016.

However anything that involves diary has shot up in price again despite wholesale milk prices not rising too much. Butter is now not far off branded prices.

Meat seems to be rising slowly too especially beef and pork. Pork has gone from £2.99kg to £3.59 in a few weeks and Brisket Beef joints are now a £1 more per kg.

Luckily chickens and minced beef seem to have stayed low at the moment.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 19th May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 6,231 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Ken68
    The biggest increase I have seen in Lidl...not so long ago freshly baked Small Tiger Loaf 50p...now 69p.
    But still my favourite supermarket. Could do without all the processed dishes as in Spanish/Mexican/Polish weeks.
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 19th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    artyclarty
    I'm not sure where everyone is getting these inflated dairy prices from. I found an old Lidl receipt the other day from when I graduated from uni in 2009 and went into the big bad world.

Milk in Lidl cost £1.09, butter £1.25. About a year or two after both went down to £1 and last year 89p and 85p respectively. So in the grand scheme of things, this 'scandalous' milk £1 and butter £1.20, that's not really much of an increase tbh.

However, veg does seem to have increased quite a lot: bananas on the other hand have gone from 58p/kg to 78p/kg, mushrooms have gone from 59p to £1 and courgettes from 99p/kg to 1.28p/kg.

Someone mentioned beef I believe, 2009 500g 20% mince 99p, now £1.59.

Other interesting things to notice:
    Bottles Pepsi (with german writing only) 59p, now £1.25
    Cans of Pepsi (again only german writing) 29p now 39p
    Little cans of energy drinks 19p, now £25p
    Nescafe £2.99 now £3.99
    Chocolate/strawberry knock off cornettos 99p now £1.45
    Garden Peas 89p now £1.05
    Mushy Peas 25p now 19p
    Corned beef still £1.49

All of this is over rougly 8 years, so you all can decide whether these are reasonable price changes or not.

The one thing I can say is that my diet has not improved much!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th May 17, 12:35 PM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 46,847 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    ^Yep, those who don't buy processed foods have probably been hit in the pocket the least.

She says as she finishes the last of her Aldi Jaffa cakes at 31p/12
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 19th May 17, 12:44 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Shrimply
    I started going to Tesco for milk because I find it lasts far longer compared to Lidl's. I've found myself looking at the prices and picking up produce there more and more to save also having to stop at Lidl. There is very little difference in price or quality I most of what I buy it seems.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th May 17, 2:28 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    I noticed prices rising in the past month or so at Aldi. A lot of prices simply raised to what I call the 'pre-deflation' price when the supermarkets crunched prices in late 2015 and early 2016.

However anything that involves diary has shot up in price again despite wholesale milk prices not rising too much. Butter is now not far off branded prices.

Meat seems to be rising slowly too especially beef and pork. Pork has gone from £2.99kg to £3.59 in a few weeks and Brisket Beef joints are now a £1 more per kg.

Luckily chickens and minced beef seem to have stayed low at the moment.
    Originally posted by robrymond

Maybe you'll get a better deal with your 2018 version.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 58,736 Posts
    • 341,667 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    She says as she finishes the last of her Aldi Jaffa cakes at 31p/12
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I tried those ...once. Now filed in the "do not bother again" basket.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 23rd May 17, 8:14 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite

All of this is over rougly 8 years, so you all can decide whether these are reasonable price changes or not.
    Originally posted by artyclarty
    Well we've only been using Aldi as our main shop for the last 18 months and I'm the one who started the thread, so it's certainly been a lot more recent than that.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd May 17, 12:08 PM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 46,847 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I tried those ...once. Now filed in the "do not bother again" basket.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    My resident crisp-monster has now morphed into a crisp-and-jaffa-cake monster. I've bought a staggering 6 packs since he moved in 10 days ago

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 23rd May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 14,749 Posts
    • 58,741 Thanks
    Judi
    Ive noticed that the Supermeat dog food goes up (and down). Not complaining because it rates highly on https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ when i typed in the ingredients.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 25th May 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Prices are creeping up as they are now advertising on the telly etc - and developing/promoting "premium brands" and posher stuff, to attract the middle classes.

They used to simply sell good food at cheap prices... now they're in the race for people who buy unusual stuff, new fads, luxury items etc. The shops also have to be kept cleaner/smarter than they used to be....

All of that costs money.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I'm not sure about the need to attract middle classes as this is a large demographic who have been shopping at Aldi for many years.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th May 17, 8:51 AM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 46,847 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm not sure about the need to attract middle classes as this is a large demographic who have been shopping at Aldi for many years.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Through necessity, originally. One of the few happy side effects of the last recession was that we were forced to be far more considered in our purchases. This is something that I doubt anyone under the age of 26 will understand first hand.

• Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 25th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Through necessity, originally. One of the few happy side effects of the last recession was that we were forced to be far more considered in our purchases. This is something that I doubt anyone under the age of 26 will understand first hand.
    True! I first started shopping in Lidl just over 20 years ago. I can't recall when I first became aware of Aldi. It certainly wasn't until some years later.

I remember when Netto first showed up but it was rather a bargain basement store and reminded me very much of the old Fine Fare and Kwiksave stores. Ones to avoid at all cost!
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 25th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    My resident crisp-monster has now morphed into a crisp-and-jaffa-cake monster. I've bought a staggering 6 packs since he moved in 10 days ago
    'real' Jaffa cakes are 40p a packet at Waitrose if you have them as one of you PYO choices.
    • maman
    • By maman 25th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    I agree. I think all they're doing is responding to what customers used to say about Aldi that they couldn't do a full shop there. I'm a huge fan.
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 25th May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    ive also noticed in sainsbury, tesco and lidles the prices have gone up suddenly. and not just by a pence or 2. 5 to 10 in cases.
    i know things go up in prices, but it just seems shocking how things seem to jump up.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 26th May 17, 1:55 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    robin58
    Gets me when I see this thread. Nobody ever did a 'Aldi prices are going down' thread. Only moan when it goes up.

I can tell you alot went down over a period until mid June last year. Then it started to go up.

But prices are still less than the major supermarkets.

I think people would moan even if Aldi gave the food away.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • maman
    • By maman 26th May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    Gets me when I see this thread. Nobody ever did a 'Aldi prices are going down' thread. Only moan when it goes up.

I can tell you alot went down over a period until mid June last year. Then it started to go up.

But prices are still less than the major supermarkets.

I think people would moan even if Aldi gave the food away.
    Originally posted by robin58

Maybe not titled as such but the boards are full of people recommending shopping in Aldi to save money because their prices are still so good in comparison.

To be fair, even on this thread, I'd say the majority view is that although prices have risen it's still the best value for money (possibly alongside Lidl but I don't shop there enough to comment).
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 46,847 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by robin58
    Who are you, the corporate conglomerate's champion??!

• CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 26th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    CAZBEAR

I remember when Netto first showed up but it was rather a bargain basement store and reminded me very much of the old Fine Fare and Kwiksave stores. Ones to avoid at all cost!
    I quite miss "kwikkys", it was like supermarkets own value brands all the way round the shop !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,390Posts Today

8,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin