Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th May 17, 6:05 AM
    • 2,837Posts
    • 38,314Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 17 May 2017
    • 17th May 17, 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 17 May 2017 17th May 17 at 6:05 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 17 May 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Wet underfoot, dark and dreich, still raining and looks set in for the day. It started raining last night at 6pm ish, and is still going.

Dinner last night was pork steaks, mash, veg and gravy, I remembered to get the beef out to defrost, so tonight it'll be beef stew possibly some dumplings, mash and veg. Victoria sponge was enjoyed by the menfolk, I didn't have any, as I'm being good - and hoping to loose some weight before our hols. It's going to be a slow job though, it's certainly harder to loose weight as you get older. I'm plodding along though - even if I only loose half a stone it would be ok, but it needs to be more for me to be happy.

Working all day today - still doing the extra hours on a Wednesday afternoon, but then on days' off until Monday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-05-2017 at 6:18 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th May 17, 6:39 AM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 40,484 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 17th May 17, 6:39 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:39 AM
    Morning All

Lovely sunny morning but it has been cold overnight. I put the summer quilt on over the weekend but had to put a blanket over the top last night.

Washing all up to date, DW emptied, not enough ironing worth doing at the moment.

Builder called round last night to look at the loo - it has a crack in the bowl so he'll replace it when he has a minute or two. Met a neighbour when I was waving him off so we stood and talked for ages, nice to be out in the sunshine!

Going for a walk with a work colleague after work to a coffee shop, looking forward to it.

My thoughts are with you Nelski, look after yourself. Hope everyone else is trouble free. Take care. XX
    • elona
    • By elona 17th May 17, 6:42 AM
    • 11,194 Posts
    • 59,324 Thanks
    elona
    • 17th May 17, 6:42 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:42 AM
    Just about to get in the shower then look out clothes. Joiners could be arriving around eight to eight thirty so want to be presentable. I still have two large loads of laundry to dry as yesterday was wet and today is forecast for rain most of the day.

I have a small portion of the chicken curry I made yesterday for lunch and will have eggs on toast for breakfast but nothing planned for tonight. Four hours volunteering at the library actually takes up six hours by the time I either walk or wait for a bus but I really enjoy it. It gets me out once a week and has me meeting people as well as feeling useful.

Hoping once I get a wardrobe for an upstairs bedroom and the storage finished in another upstairs bedroom I can get the boxes and cartons of "stuff" cleared up. Every time I think I am coming to an end of spending on this house I find something else the previous owner bodged. If it was just badly done it would not be so bad but most of it is downright dangerous and could have killed or badly hurt someone.

I really need to get back to sensible eating but can't seem to kick myself into gear. Hoping a spell of warm decent weather will help.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th May 17, 6:47 AM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 36,893 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 17th May 17, 6:47 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:47 AM
    Morning all
    It's chucking it down here, it will do the garden good, I shall hang the washing under the gazebo.
    I scanned all my CD's into Music Magpie last night, they are being collected on Friday and I've earned £14 from them, lol.
    I've filled my bin up and a neighbour's who is away (with permission). Tonight I'm listing 2 more batches on Ebay, it all seems never-ending.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 21,454 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 17th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:59 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's fine at the moment but the rain is due back nearer lunchtime apparently. I know I said we desperately needed some for the dried up garden but we've had enough now!

I am having a much needed day out with my friend today, before all the appointments start clobbering us from tomorrow. We are having our usual bus ride to Skipton, a market and cs browse, then a late lunch and shared bottle of wine before heading back home. I think it will be a soggy market if the forecast is right!

Two of the DGDs are here for late tea and sleepover, after Rainbows and ballet, so better organise something quick 'n easy before I go!

DD has to go to the hospital for a small gynae op today. I am hoping it's nothing to worry about but, you know me, I shall be fearing the worst until I know differently.

I have left a bowl of creamy chicken and bacon pasta out for Mr TA's lunch. Only to pop in the mw so, hopefully, he can cope with that! With a big jam doughnut as a treat for afterwards.

Hope all went well yesterday for SPEKY. Thoughts are with NELSKI and I hope the end, when it comes, is peaceful x (HUGS) to anyone else in need/want of them and take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 17, 7:06 AM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th May 17, 7:06 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:06 AM
    Morning everyone.

It's a glorious morning with blue skies and bright sun already. When I woke at 6'ish it was beautiful then. No washing to do unfortunately.

This morning I've got two hours teaching and then I hope to get into the garden to sort out the four plants which arrived recently.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th May 17, 7:12 AM
    • 12,059 Posts
    • 34,258 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 17th May 17, 7:12 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:12 AM
    Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts I'm overwhelmed by everyones kindness

My brother arrived yesterday so we all got to go and see Dad together which was pretty heartbreaking but in some ways we are lucky to have this little bit of extra time with him to say what we need to say. Not sure he can hear us though he is pretty zonked out now which is good he was probably the most relaxed I have seen him in all these horrible weeks. Same day again here ....visiting ..take mum for lunch...nothing much more to report.

Thanks again for your kindness its appreciated by us all
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th May 17, 7:21 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 89,154 Thanks
    redruby
    • 17th May 17, 7:21 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:21 AM
    Morning all

Wet and gloomy here too and set in for the day I think, back to work for me today but a short week so not too bad.

Mums for dinner tonight so no cooking for me, last night I made chicken parmigiana which was very tasty indeed and I shall do it again.

Went to Aldi yesterday and did a big shop Its so much cheaper in there I shall go once a month or so and do a big shop.

Nels I am thinking of you xx

Have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 17th May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:33 AM
    Morning all,

The rain during the night woke me up a couple of times, there were a couple of torrential showers here and a thunder storm but I think that they were fairly localised. I’m just pleased that I don’t have any washing to do today because it looks set to rain on and off for the day.

I am being taken out for lunch today by my 91 year old neighbour. She does this for me every now and again as a thank you for the bits and pieces that I do for her. I do things willingly and don’t expect anything in return but I do enjoy these lunches with her. She is a lovely lady and is still as sharp as a button, and is very good company. We have some very interesting discussions on things that are going on in the world.

Dinner last night ended up being some haddock that I dug out of the freezer with some steamed veg and new potatoes. I really like fish but have noticed that while the price of meat has been increasing, the cost of fish has risen by more and still seems to be climbing.

I think it is time for another mug of tea now.

Have a good day everyone, take care x
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 21,454 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    You are right about the price of fish HOLLY - an expert on the news last night said it had gone up by 8%. I'm another fish lover and remember the days when it was a cheap meal!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's not raining at the moment but it is forecast for later on. I am supposed to go out with my lovely CMHT lady but I think I would rather stay in and have a cuppa. Hubby and the girls have gone to work/school and DD14 is planning on a walk with the dog later.

I am going to make a roast turkey dinner tonight. I am so looking forward to it, I am feeling a lackage of vegetables in my life . The girls aren't so keen, mainly because they do the washing up . I shall load the dishwasher as I go so it won't be as bad for them.

I lost 2lb at Slimming World last night. There were lots of new people started and the meeting was very busy. I have bought the new magazine so I am looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and reading it. I had my chocolate cake last night when I came back but to be honest it didn't live up to my expectations. I shall think of a nice non food reward for next time.

Nelski, my thoughts are with you and your family. I hope your Dad has a peaceful passing.
    Speky, I hope your first night in your new home went well.
    TA, I know what you mean about always thinking the worst, I hope your DD's procedure goes well and she recovers quickly x

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, extra one for Nelski and her family.

Nelski, hearing is the last thing to go, even when deeply unconscious it is believed that someone can still hear, so your Dad will know you are there and hear what you are saying. I do hope that your dad will pass peacefully and pain free.

Nasty morning here, its very grey and wet. We are off into town once I have taken my BP yet again.........need fresh veg and a few other bits and OH wants to price up some wood at the local wood yard.

Hopefully I have a builder coming to look at the shed job, taking down the old shed and putting in a new base......I contacted 4 and only one has replied so far.
    • elona
    • By elona 17th May 17, 8:56 AM
    • 11,194 Posts
    • 59,324 Thanks
    elona
    Pleased I got ready early as joiners arrived a few minutes ago. I popped upstairs to see how the work was progressing and wished I hadn't Keep telling myself it will be nice once it is finished but at the moment it just looks very basic.

Miserable weather so will look out a rain jacket in case I get drenched later while walking to library, collecting prescriptions from chemist and taking a parcel back for youngest dd. Need to give myself a kick and sort out the dry laundry, load dishwasher etc.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 17th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 15,166 Posts
    • 61,892 Thanks
    Judi
    Nelski When hen Mom was dying I was told the hearing is the last sense to go so keep telling him that you love him. When your Dad leaves this world you want words of love to be the last sounds he hears.

Morning all,

Wet and miserable day again here in North Devon but we did make it to the beach last night. The temperature was warm, no wind but the rain was in the form of a damp spray. We hardly got wet (well hubby did as he misjudged the tide and got wet up to his knees).

Not sure what today will bring, we never do plan these short breaks but just see what happens.

Tru Hope your Dad is continuing to recover.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 15,755 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.

Nelski- I'm glad your Dad is calm and you are having the chance to say goodbye as a family.

It was lovely and sunny first thing so I had hoped to get weedkiller down but it's now clouding over and forecast is for showers throughout the day so I'll not be doing that today. It did brighten up later yesterday so I managed to get four hanging baskets made up just three more to do and then the 14 wall baskets...

Smoked salmon and asparagus pasta tonight using a wee bit of the smoked salmon I bought at the recent food market. Not a terribly OS meal but a little of the salmon goes a long way and the asparagus was on SO.

I hope everyone has a good day x
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 15,371 Posts
    • 125,222 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and a bit of a damp one at the moment , but living in the south east we are pretty desperate for some rain, as the ground is rock hard I think we will probably have a hose ban at some point down here.

We came third at quiz last night but enjoyed a good laugh all the same

Today I will be going to DDs later and will be staying for dinner as its my late OH's birthday today and we still celebrate it with a meal and a good natter about all the daft things he got up to, even though its 14 years since he passed, he would have been 84 today bless him .

I wonder what he would have thought of all the inventions and technical things that are around that we take for granted today I think he would have thought that Sat-Nav in a car was pretty cool .

I'm sure he would have been so pleased that several of his DGS have followed his love of playing the guitar and fishing

Time goes so quickly the older you get so I like to make the most of every minute ,probably why I am always flying around

My DDs enjoy talking about their late Dad, as he teased them mercilessly and was always playing jokes on them

The boys all know what a scallywag he was although its only Mikey the youngest who never met him.

We keep his memory alive by our 'birthday' dinner and its not a sad time at all but a meal that's full of laughter at times with lots of 'do you remember'

So that will be my day today, I have already had a nice bunch of flowers from my DD which she gives me every year without fail bless her.I am a very lucky lady to be surrounded by my family, who have all pulled together into such a strong unit.I think he would be so proud of his 'girls'

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are doing

R.I.P Alan 1933-2003

JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 17-05-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon - it hasn't rained yet though I was reliably informed by the cashier in the Co-op that it'll be raining by 3p.m.

Just before I left home this morning I decided to pull together another towel wash, yesterday it was 'Glasgow towels', and a few other scraps. Got it out and now it's dry so I'm pleased about that. The sunshine and high wind have done the trick.

Now I'm waiting for the postie. My plan to get in the garden before he come was scuppered by a neighbour popping in to get a document scanned and emailed. Then I booked her 'old biddy' bus ticket as her printer is on the blink. Then we chatted a bit!

I've had stir fried chicken and a salad for lunch, now I'm munching on very disappointing almonds. Very misshapen, not much 'meat' and fairly soft.

Apart from that things are good. Class was very quiet, the troublesome twosome seem to have removed themselves from the part of the course I teach so peace reigns now.

JackieO - such great memories of your late OH. We, as a very reduced down family still speak of my late Father who would be 102 if alive still. He was an older father! I hold firm to the thought that as long as a loved one is remembered then they live on in my heart, which seems to be the warmest and cosiest place in my body.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th May 17, 3:41 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 37,645 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lovely memories Jackie. Your post makes me think of those comforting words
    "To live in the hearts of those you love is never to die."
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 17th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 4,919 Posts
    • 47,493 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Afternoon all,

Hugs and good wishes to all who could do with some.

Lovely morning, rain promised for this afternoon......very dark now so probably going to arrive soon......earth could do a bit of a soak.

JackieO......lovely custom to celebrate your DOH'S birthday, I find myself talking about my parents as if they were still alive, they both died in 1994.

Dinner tonight will be baked salmon, potatoes in some form and a couple of veg, most will be done in the oven, so easy dinner.

Have a good evening everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon - it hasn't rained yet though I was reliably informed by the cashier in the Co-op that it'll be raining by 3p.m.
    Originally posted by Gers
    So much for 'reliable' - nearly 5p.m. and still no rain though I think it's imminent. I risked it all and mowed the grass, did it in a different pattern which made it so much easier to manage the cord, I only needed the extension for a small area.

Happy now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,823Posts Today

9,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin