Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • truewraith121
    • By truewraith121 17th May 17, 2:03 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    truewraith121
    Whats the best Weed Killer these days please?
    • 17th May 17, 2:03 AM
    Whats the best Weed Killer these days please? 17th May 17 at 2:03 AM
    Or household item like vinegar i heard was good but havnt tried it. but we have major problems with weeds and once cut pr pulled they come back so fast so was looking for a better solution...

thanks
Page 1
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 17th May 17, 6:27 AM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 9,502 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 17th May 17, 6:27 AM
    • 17th May 17, 6:27 AM
    Ammonium sulphamate (if you live outside the EU )
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 7:11 AM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 17, 7:11 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:11 AM
    You haven't said where these weeds are, so it's difficult to advise.

By their nature, total weedkillers kill everything, giving you a nice clear, dead area for more weeds to colonise!

In the good old days, people could chuck soil poisons like sodium chlorate around with gay (or straight) abandon, but these have been banned now in favour of substances that break down quickly in soil to become relatively innocuous. It's a sad old world!

PS. IHS is right about ammonium sulphamate. It's still legal as a compost accelerator, but some folks have terrible accidents on the way to the compost heap, resulting in spillages. Fortunately, these rarely catch fire, as it's also a flame retardant.
    Working subliminally.
    • truewraith121
    • By truewraith121 17th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    truewraith121
    • 17th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:42 AM
    thanks i just looked up some info on the ammonium sulphamate you mentioned and said it was banned in EU in 2008 but like you said it can still be bought as a compost accelerator

hehe if we are leaving the EU does that still apply to us lol
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:37 AM
    It's when we leave the EU now, not 'if.'

But I don't know about the regs. It strikes me there won't be a free for all, and with good reason. Things will probably be "as you were" for a while.

However, it would be nice if men in grey suits didn't pass more legislation banning me from buying selective professional weedklillers to use on my fields, just because I haven't been on courses costing £1k and requiring frequent updates. Until November 2015 that was OK, but suddenly I'm not qualified to go out alone with a knapsack sprayer!

You haven't said what the weedkiller's for. It's important, because the answer to weeds depends on what you're trying to achieve. A big bare area isn't really a long term solution, unless it's a drive, for example.
    Working subliminally.
    • truewraith121
    • By truewraith121 17th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    truewraith121
    • 17th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:18 PM
    oh sorry yeah its for driveway and flagged garden which once again is over run with weeds.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    Well, a drive and paved areas won't take long using glyphosate and a good quality knapsack sprayer. The glyphosate takes up to 3 weeks to kill, so you won't see results immediately, but if you develop a routine, you'll catch the new weeds early and, eventually, lower the number of weed seeds waiting to germinate.

Generic glyphosate like this is fine:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosate-Strong-Glyphosate-Weedkiller-Gloves/dp/B00CBXKFLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495043267&sr=8-1&keywords=rosate

A good back pack sprayer will be around £50 - £100 but should last years and it will be much easier and quicker than something you lug around by hand.

For drives and cracks in paving you could also consider other products as mentioned, but I prefer glyphosate because it disrupts the plant's metabolism after absoption and doesn't poison the soil, where it breaks down quickly.
    Working subliminally.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    Spray with glyphosate and strim the dead weeds off 2-4 weeks later.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    Round up is glyphsolate and is readily available
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Round up is glyphsolate and is readily available
    Originally posted by Mnd
    If someone wants to pay for the trade name, yes, but this is MSE.
    Working subliminally.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 18th May 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    Niv
    I prefer not to use chemicals where I can avoid it so I use a heat wand, works pretty well and is good fun too. You can target it very accurately too so if in-between plants you want to keep its better than a liquid weedkiller.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 22,353 Posts
    • 86,961 Thanks
    Davesnave
    A butane powered weed wand is fine, so long as the areas concerned are small to normal. Mine aren't, so apart from sensitive places, I use my wand to start the bonfires and the barbie.

There is the Sheen flame gun, which I probably will buy, when I have more disposable income to dispose of. Looks fun!

http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/sheen-x300-professional-flame-gun.html?gclid=CJfFkYGD-dMCFRGNGwodOSkC1Q
    Working subliminally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,096Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter