Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th May 17, 12:08 AM
    • 2,571Posts
    • 3,529Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Free 3 year hobbies.
    • 17th May 17, 12:08 AM
    Free 3 year hobbies. 17th May 17 at 12:08 AM
    Just interested to know who else would not be happy about paying extra tax so that some people could do their hobbies for free for 3 years? Or for tax payers to pay for a 3 year "experience?" I thought you went to a theme park for an experience not to a university?

Just contemplating the idea of free university fees. Hobby courses that used to be evening class type courses include, sports, performing arts, media studies, ceramics ( pots), fashion, journalism, creative writing, film studies etc. All the other young people who haven't done hobby courses or had an "experience" will be expected to fund all these hobbies out of higher taxes.

Who is going to check the quality of the free hobby courses? Who is going to check how many hobby courses are being run at taxpayers expense?
Page 1
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 17th May 17, 8:55 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 17th May 17, 8:55 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:55 AM
    Wow, who's bitter. Did you not get the grades to go to Uni yourself?
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 17th May 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 17th May 17, 9:01 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:01 AM
    Who is going to check the quality of the free hobby courses? Who is going to check how many hobby courses are being run at taxpayers expense?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Why don't you do this then come back and tell us? I'm sure we'd all be riveted!
    £2017 in 2017 - £3238.42
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 17th May 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 8,354 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 17th May 17, 10:07 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:07 AM
    You do realise that all the courses you mention have been around for 30+ years, long pre-dating the introduction of tuition fees.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    philatio
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:23 AM
    Obviously one of those who thinks everything was better in the 50s... except those things that they conveniently forget about.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th May 17, 2:10 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th May 17, 2:10 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:10 PM
    There's a chap by the name of Lewis who became a multimillionaire on the back of his studies in Journalism.

Not bad for a "hobby"!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 7,885 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 17th May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:01 PM
    I thought a lot of the 'Mickey Mouse' degrees were axed a few years ago.

It may be thought snobbish, but the status of having a degree (in an academic subject) is somewhat reduced, when someone who has a degree in boxing (the kind involving punching ) or the like, joins the 'club'.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 59,228 Posts
    • 345,782 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:49 PM
    ... when someone who has a degree in boxing (the kind involving punching ) or the like, joins the 'club'.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    You can do surfing at Plymouth

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/fdsc-surf-science-and-technology

One of the core modules is: "Surf Practice".
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:05 PM
    You can do surfing at Plymouth

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/fdsc-surf-science-and-technology

One of the core modules is: "Surf Practice".
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It's a very niche topic/ industry, but looking at the syllabus it's certainly not an easy option and it offers a skill set that would transfer into various business environments.

I wouldn't call that a mickey mouse degree. I wouldn't criticise any subject without looking at the course content.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 18th May 17, 1:30 AM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 10,726 Thanks
    Hermia
    I imagine 'hobby' degrees probably lead to employment more than many traditional academic degrees. There is an arts college near me that offers degrees in subjects such as fashion and ceramics. The majority of students do go on and work in those industries.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 18th May 17, 7:01 AM
    • 8,374 Posts
    • 6,645 Thanks
    Andy L
    It's a very niche topic/ industry, but looking at the syllabus it's certainly not an easy option and it offers a skill set that would transfer into various business environments.

I wouldn't call that a mickey mouse degree. I wouldn't criticise any subject without looking at the course content.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Much like the infamous degree in David Beckham studies is actually one module in a unit on branding that uses David Beckham as a (successful) branding case study
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 18th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 6,927 Thanks
    NBLondon
    When I was at University (Bradford late 80s) we had what was often derided as the ultimate Mickey Mouse degree - Peace Studies. Looked down on by the STEM students for the apparently low workload (no more than 8 hours a week of classes and complete weeks off for reading). I'm sure the best of the students went on to do worthy jobs for charities and so on but some were just there to fill in the time. Two examples spring to mind... One chap who was apparently spending more time at the student newspaper than at the lecture hall - he is now writing for the Guardian. Another freely admitted that he had a job lined up in the family business as long as he got a degree - any degree- and had chosen the course for minimal effort. Last time I saw his name he was running said family business.
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,027Posts Today

9,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin