Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chars97
    • By Chars97 16th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chars97
    Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay
    • 16th May 17, 10:40 PM
    Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay 16th May 17 at 10:40 PM
    Hey,
    2 years ago my mother went behind my back and gout out a number of catolgues in my name, and maxed out all of them. I only found out last year, when she wes very apologetic (she's blacklisted herself btw so turned on me) and promised to pay them. It's now 2 years later and I've been warned that bailifs are after
    My possessions, as I'm only on a minimum wage job and I can't afford to pay all of my mums debt in my name; even though I know I shouldn't have it anyway!! As I'm a hard worker, I'm actually a apprentice who works 45 hours a week, and have intentions of eventually qualifying and a few years down the line getting a mortgage. However when I found this out my whole life dreams were crushed, as when even I tried to apply for a credit card just to help boost my credit rating I wasn't even accepted. My mother has no remorse and doesn't care for what she's done, but also I DO NOT want her to go prison for this, as in my heart I just couldn't let that happen. So I need to try and find a way to get my name out of this equation, is there anyway possible. I'm just a 19 year old in desperate need of help!!!!!

Thanks in advance xxx
Page 2
    • BatchedMetting
    • By BatchedMetting 17th May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BatchedMetting
    Could you sell the goods she bought and use the money to pay off some of the debts?

Maybe take out a credit card in her name use that to pay off the debts?

Report ID theft to the police but don't say who you think did it?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Could you sell the goods she bought and use the money to pay off some of the debts?

Maybe take out a credit card in her name use that to pay off the debts?

Originally posted by BatchedMetting
    OP ignore this idiotic advice in bold.

Did you even read the OP's post? She has already stated that her mother's credit is rubbish hence why she took it out in her daughter's name.

Besides, if the mum took out catalogues, chances are she bought clothes. I hardly think old clothes from a middle aged woman is going to be worth anything.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • BatchedMetting
    • By BatchedMetting 17th May 17, 2:02 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BatchedMetting
    Might've bought an iPad?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Might've bought an iPad?

My mother has no remorse and doesn't care for what she's done
    Originally posted by Chars97
    Even if she did buy an iPad, do you really think she would give it to her daughter to sell?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 17th May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    EachPenny
    OP ignore this idiotic advice in bold.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    I think your bolding didn't go far enough Candyapple...

I can't see how this is going to help - telling the police someone has carried out ID theft but not identifying them is pointless. How long before the police figure out that if the applications weren't made by the OP then it was likely to be a friend/relative based on the address used for the application and delivery of goods ordered? Unless the suggestion is that the police will just issue a crime reference and do no more about it, but will the credit companies really just accept a loss without taking it further?

At worst, reporting a crime to the police but witholding key information could result in the OP being accused of wasting police time, or perhaps even coming under suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 17th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    stuart30
    there is no best of both worlds.

A couple of years back I had a situation where my elder sister defaulted on Virgin Media payments which was put in my name at her address.

Virgin Media told me I had 2 choices, proceed with reporting it as a crime, or deal with the debt as my own, I did the latter and luckily my sister apologised and paid me back.

If my sister had turned on me tho, and showed no remorse, then I may have gone the other route. Also a factor was the debt wasnt very large, under 200. So was not difficult for me to settle to get it of my credit file. If was say 2000 I am not sure if I would have dealt with it the same.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis

Makes me think that credit providers need to shame the blame,if they insisted on stricter security in proving who is applying,it would help cut down on this kinda fraud.

My late month had multiple cards/catalogues simply by changing how surname sounded/read...seemed to work and ive even heard her giving the wrong details whilst placing an order...sickening but what can you do.
    Save the wear and tear on your keyboard and don't waste your time correcting my spelling or Grammar...
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 4,149 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Makes me think that credit providers need to shame the blame,if they insisted on stricter security in proving who is applying,it would help cut down on this kinda fraud.
    Originally posted by stuart30
    I'm sure many would agree with the sentiment but what actual practical measures would you suggest? There are often threads with posters complaining about how bureaucratic it is to get documents certified, etc, and close family living under the same roof (with access to delivered post) are always likely to be able to pull stunts like this if they're determined to do so, so it's not clear to me what else the catalogue companies concerned could have done to avoid OP's situation?
    • bris
    • By bris 17th May 17, 10:22 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    bris
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 17th May 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    boo_star
    As other have said, report it to Action Fraud. The companies will want to see you making an attempt even though they are the ones who need to report it as they were the ones who were defrauded, not you.
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 17th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    stuart30
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.
    Originally posted by bris
    Maybe not but who said the mother used the son/duaghters real age.

My late mother used my wife's name and her own date of birth..hence why when we contacted the catalogue concerned they refused to talk to the wife as security details didn't match...
    Save the wear and tear on your keyboard and don't waste your time correcting my spelling or Grammar...
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 17th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    stuart30
    I'm sure many would agree with the sentiment but what actual practical measures would you suggest? There are often threads with posters complaining about how bureaucratic it is to get documents certified, etc, and close family living under the same roof (with access to delivered post) are always likely to be able to pull stunts like this if they're determined to do so, so it's not clear to me what else the catalogue companies concerned could have done to avoid OP's situation?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Yes appreciate its not as easy as it sounds..must be something though.

Maybe ask for photo ID such as Passport/Driving license/SIA license etc...not fool proof but makes it a little harder.

As i said my late mother had many names all based on her surname or her fella"s surname and who was oblivous she had multiple lines of credit in his name,he didnt live there and had no post going there,until she used his surname.

Its amazingly easy to have thousands of pounds of goods in multiple names all delivered to the same single occupancy address and never get caught.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 17th May 17, 11:30 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 23,501 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    At worst, reporting a crime to the police but witholding key information could result in the OP being accused of wasting police time, or perhaps even coming under suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Perverting the course of justice at a push, as there will be something on the forms to state that OP is telling the whole truth.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 17th May 17, 11:34 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 23,501 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Originally posted by bris
    In fairness, I've had a wrong date of birth on a business bank account before now, due to a mis-key.

Wasn't an issue (and was sorted), and is actually now too old to be on the credit file (I closed the account I think around 2010), but just shows that the system can be abused.

Hopefully, date of birth on the electoral roll should counter such issues, however if a bank worker can pass it with a driving license and passport in front of them both showing it correctly and it goes through, surely a member of the public can, too, especially if OP was on the ER at the time.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 17th May 17, 11:38 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Gambler101
    Report the fraud to the police who will easily b able to obtain enough evidence to prosecute her and hopefully see her punished properly for fraud.

If it were one of my family members they would very likely be needing the use of walking aids for a very long time.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • SHill
    • By SHill 18th May 17, 7:27 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    SHill
    oh my..

Look you need professional advice .. contact Citizen advice Bureau. Do call them & explain what has happen so that you can get yourself on track to sort things out.

Both financially and mentally.. I guess you must be really really upset and go through moments of panic, being ashamed, anger and frustration as to why and how this has happened.

They should hopefully help you with a plan of what you is going to happen and how you can go about getting things resolved in the way that you would prefer.
    At the end of day you might need to prevent this from happening again & again.

It means your mum has some sort of compulsion "to buy" way outside her means and so she has used an avenue to get more without really thinking about the consequences.

Look after yourself and start the ball rolling sooner so that you know you are working towards and end goal of the out standing monies owed.

Don't feel you are on you own you are not. You say that your mother has done this, other have said its their partners, other family members (sister/brother) that have hidden growing debt. Your young enough to get going and get on in life. You should use this moment as lesson and stop it from repeating the same mistake.

All the best and let us know how you are getting on.
    Last edited by SHill; 18-05-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th May 17, 8:21 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    adindas
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    One possibility because s/he was using one off Mobile Simcard to create a new account and post it for anonymity reason and now s/he has little access to that Sim card again.

But for monitoring the post you could always access it from your normal account using normal internet connection.

I remember I have been reading the story like this many times here in MSE and other forums with similar stories "not to proceed with reporting it as a crime". Is it so bad here in the UK how ruthless and inconsiderate the mums here willing to betray their own children or it is just a conspiracy, perverting the court of justice ?? Probably this will become a good topic for research.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-05-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 19th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 10,131 Posts
    • 18,163 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    My mum has been in the same situation with my brother.
    Police said it was a civil matter and they couldn't help.
    This was extensive fraud- thousands of pounds!
    I finished my degree!! AA100, DD102, U214, A230, A363, E302 (Complete) OU BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit- results 07/17
    Proud to be the WFC!!! #TeamWoody
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • adindas
    • By adindas 20th May 17, 12:09 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    adindas
    My mum has been in the same situation with my brother.
    Police said it was a civil matter and they couldn't help.
    This was extensive fraud- thousands of pounds!
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Not according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

It might be because your mum and brother case is different with the OP case. They were telling you a different story to what they told the police which sometimes happen for a criminal case involving family members.
    Last edited by adindas; 20-05-2017 at 7:36 AM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th May 17, 5:58 AM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 7,555 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Maybe very busy or very ignorant. Or maybe not for real. We'll obviously never know for sure.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 20th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Not according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

It might be because your mum and brother case is different with the OP case. They were telling you a different story to what they told the police which sometimes happen for a criminal case involving family members.
    Originally posted by adindas
    In the case of unauthorised transactions, it is the CC that is liable, not the cardholder. So the police take the view that the "victim" is the CC - and CCs have their own channels for dealing with fraud. So it is simply a civil matter between the cardholder and the CC. (And the CC can also make a civil claim against the fraudster.)

It is common for the police not to get involved if somebody other than the victim reports the crime, especially when the victim is corporate.

Of course this isn't very helpful, especially if you are the victim of ID theft, and I'm not saying they will never get invoved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin