Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Type 45
    • By Type 45 16th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Type 45
    Pay off mortgage or invest...
    • 16th May 17, 10:09 PM
    Pay off mortgage or invest... 16th May 17 at 10:09 PM
    Hello...

I have a great mortgage. 0.75% above BoE base rate: (1% at present). My mortgage is about £145K and my house is valued at £375K (so £230K equity). I am in the process of house hunting, however. And I am moving to a cheaper city.

I therefore have a couple of options:

1) Use my £230 equity to buy my new property and have no mortgage at all.

2) Keep all, or part of my mortgage and free up cheap (1% interest) funds. I have confirmed with my mortgage provider that I can do this.

What say the good people of MSE?
Page 2
    • Ray Singh-Blue
    • By Ray Singh-Blue 17th May 17, 9:10 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    Ray Singh-Blue
    Having three strands to play with (house, loan, investment) rather than one (house) makes you more bendy

Lets say someone wants to downsize. If they have a house, a mortgage, and investments, then they have the option of buying their next home with their investments. Then, when that's all sorted, they can sell their existing home and pay off their existing mortgage.

They don't have to do that, but it is a flexibility they would not have if they had just overpaid their mortgage
    • atush
    • By atush 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 16,079 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    atush
    It depends on your view of risk and it depends on the person. If you think you might ever need to claim some form of benefits then having a huge investment porfolio will cause you problems. They take a dim view on you cashing in your investments and paying off the mortgage to qualify.

I have missed out on making money, but right now I'd rather just have no mortgage.
    Originally posted by phillw
    That is an emotional decision, not necessarily a rational one.

But hey, if you are happy, go for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,824Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin