Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tinkachuchu
    • By Tinkachuchu 16th May 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tinkachuchu
    Welcome Finance Loan
    • 16th May 17, 9:08 PM
    Welcome Finance Loan 16th May 17 at 9:08 PM
    My partner took a loan out in 2004 through welcome finance who have since gone into administration. Part of the condition of getting the loan was that he had to purchase PPI which he was told in the event of redundancy the loan would be covered. He fell ill in the October of 2004 after paying the loan on time prior to this and in the end after a long period of sickness he was made redundant. When contacting welcome they advised that the PPI only covered for a short period of time ?! This was not what we were advised. So he didn't not make any more payments, we were contacted in regards to the administration and the PPI was refunded and so taken off his debt. He has received debt letters but has ignored them thinking the debt would become statute but only today he has recieved a court order saying we have to respond with 14 days please help ?!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 11,603 Posts
    • 11,602 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:16 PM
    When was the last time he acknowledged the debt in any way?
    • Tinkachuchu
    • By Tinkachuchu 16th May 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tinkachuchu
    • 16th May 17, 10:01 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:01 PM
    Probably when the administrators where arranging the PPI refund at least 6 years ago roughly as we not got any paperwork ?!
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 17th May 17, 7:51 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 17th May 17, 7:51 AM
    • 17th May 17, 7:51 AM
    While the debt likely is statute barred you must never, ever ignore letters before action, or especially court papers.

The statute barred defence must be filed to avoid a judgement in default, which it appears you may have received. In that case you'll need to apply for what's called a Set-Aside, which costs 255 unless if you're able to claim for payment relief.

If there has not been any judgment made yet, you must file this defence as statute barred right away.

Take the letters you have to the CAB or speak to a debt charity ASAP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,883Posts Today

4,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin