Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,023Posts
    • 5,158Thanks
    MeandO
    Striving to save and stay solvent!
    • 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    Striving to save and stay solvent! 16th May 17 at 9:03 PM
    My previous thread felt a bit old hat and I need to start afresh with a bit more positivity, looking forward rather than back, so here goes...

Although I'm not in debt anymore (apart from the mortgage), I'm not able to overpay my mortgage until I've worked on the savings pots as I really do have practically no money behind me once essential repairs are paid for on this house. Money is extremely tight now I've dropped to part time and am a single parent to my little boy, so I feel more at home here on the DFW board if you'll have me!

It wouldn't take huge emergency to force me back into relying on a credit card or loan again. I really don't want to (and can't afford to) get back into that postion so I have to focus and stay on the straight and narrow.

Link to the previous diary for those interested:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490668
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Debt: CC @ 0%: £897.04
    Mortgage at 24/11/2016: £97,000
    Mortgage now: £79,500

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
Page 4
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    The £40 overpayment in now showing in the mortgage account. It's really motivating to see it being reduced, even by just a little.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Self Assessment done and I owe just under £80 in tax which needs to be paid by the end of the year. Wll pay it as soon as the business picks up a bit in the next few months (always busier nearer Christmas), as there's no rush.

I have the day off tomorrow as the first of the outstanding building works is commencing. It should be done in a day, but then obviously my savings account will diminish dramatically as it's just over £2k worth of work! Oh well, it will be nice to finally get it done and at least I'm not putting it on a credit card.

I need to source a shower and shower tray next week as that work is due to be done the week after. Those may have to go on the credit card so that I have enough cash to pay the builder for the labour when he needs paying, we'll see. I'm hoping to get a shower and tray for as close to £100 as possible. I've found a good tray for £49, I'm hoping I find a sale of the century on electric showers this coming week!

I have taken photos of the few items I have to ebay/list on gumtree, so I need to get those done this weekend too to raise a little bit of extra cash.

Grocery order is being delivered tonight, so I will draft a rough meal plan tonight or tomorrow.

I don't have any plans for the weekend, but I'm hoping to make it a no-spend-weekend. We have plenty of food in, have a pass to a local wildlife attraction do may go there for a bit, and possibly have movie evening with DS if he'd like to.

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    That's great MeandO. Every little helps
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    That's great MeandO. Every little helps
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Indeed it does Chandelier! X

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    97p transferred to the OP pot from a tidy of the business account & £20 sent over to the savings pot. If there's any more left over after the postage of parcels I'll pop that to the OP pot too.

£3.42 from Quidco is on the way to the bank account which I'll tidy to the OP pot when it arrives. They've conveniently ignored my message from last week about an ongoing missing claim of £60. Quidco really have gone downhill these days, I'm converting to TCB. Saying that, I've just emailed TCB about a claim that's not tracked correctly and not been updated when it should have been!

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just completed a survey for a whopping £10 and then one straight after for £2.10! Once it's been credited, that will be another £20 to put towards the bathroom savings.

Just waiting on the grocery delivery, it seems it came in at £50.58 according to the pending amount in the bank account.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Jul 17, 7:08 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hope the building work goes smoothly today.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 7th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks HSL2, it's been ongoing since 9am, I'll be glad to get my house back...

I've filled the car up this morning, budgeted £45 and it took £42.07 so the bit extra can go to the OP pot. I'll transfer it later tonight and update totals.

I popped to the supermarket whilst getting petrol, I only needed to pick up a few bits that OH asked me to pick up, and I ended up spending £23 of which, probably £20 was non-essential. I really have to avoid supermarkets. There is about £45 left in my grocery budget for the month now which should be fine. As long as I avoid supermarkets...

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 7th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Building works took a lot longer than planned as there hit a few problems, but it's 99% done now, they just need to come back and finish a bit off outside next week and then it will look a million dollars (or £2.1k at least!).

Flooring I ordered hasn't arrived today as it should have, so I've emailed them to try and find out where it is. If it's not here tomorrow I won't be very happy.

I have had lots of surveys drop into my inbox today so I will attempt to catch up on those tomorrow morning.

TCB claim has been sorted and I can transfer the £12 from there in 72 hours time once my bank details have been verified. £10 of that will go towards the bathroom fund, £2 to the OP pot.

Quidco money still not hit the account and no reply from them regarding the ongoing missing cashback issue.

Happy weekend everyone xx

• chevalier
    • By chevalier 8th Jul 17, 6:09 AM
    • 7,740 Posts
    • 17,976 Thanks
    chevalier
    Oh, and DS came home with a huge (unfixable) rip to his coat yesterday too so will need a new one.

On a plus, I've sorted a couple of items of clothing to return which will bring £21 back into the account. Guess it will have to go straight in the savings pot.
    Originally posted by MeandO
    If it is a school coat do they have second hand at school? If not how bout a trawl of the charity shops, it doesn't HAVE to be new....

I think you are doing really well, and you seem very organised. Re losing the weight. Is there time in the day when you could do an exercise video type thingy, after ds has gone to bed? Re the SW or WW idea, would they really mind if DS sat quietly at the back with a book? obviously i don't know how old he is, but that is what is did as a kid when my mum wanted to do classes, I sat off to one side and read a book or did drawing. Just a thought. Your health is important too. Added to that I found that the smaller plate idea does work. If you look at a 1960s dinner plate it is actually smaller diameter than modern ones. So maybe use a side plate instead?
    good luck with your savings
    Last edited by chevalier; 08-07-2017 at 6:20 AM.
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 8th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks Chevalier, some great suggestions.

The coat doesn't have to be a school one thankfully, but I managed to find an old waterproof mac type one he had which I thought he'd probably grown out of by now, but tried it and it fits just fine. He has a bigger warmer one in my wardrobe which is brand new but was a bit big for him, so I'm sure it'll fit by the time the cold weather returns.

Caught up on the surveys this morning, screened out of all of them, but at least I'm up to date.

I've listed one item on ebay and a couple (of OHs bits he asked me to sell) on Gumtree. I have some more ebay stuff to do tonight once DS is in bed.

We're off to buy a shower and shower tray shortly if we see both reasonably priced.
    As I've been typing this the postman has delivered a card from my Dad with two B&Q gift cards in and £5 for DS for a treat. He is such a sweetheart.

I've used the £20 survey rewards to pay for a new doorbell as ours has broken and a new house number for our house. They were a bit of a nightmare to use tbh, I won't be requesting payout in those prepaid cards again.

Still not received the Quidco money or survey funds, keeping an eye out for them as want to top the pots up a little more.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Had a bit of a tough weekend to be honest, but won't dwell on it and go into detail. Let's just say sometimes the stress of doing everything alone and being the only adult in a household can really become overbearing.
    DS has been an absolute star, he's so good, I am so lucky to have him.

We went out to the garden centre yesterday, just to get out of the house and pick up some pots and bits to brighten the garden (and my mood). We spent a while looking at all the fish in the attached aquarium and it really did lift our spirits, but lowered my bank balamce by £30.

I've had a nightmare with 'companies' this weekend. The flooring wasn't delivered when it should have been. A phonecall to them this morning was pretty unhelpful and I will go as far to say they were quite rude and unprofessional. It is out for delivery today, but obviously I won't be there to take delivery so will just have to wait until it is returned and then hopefully refunded, but I can forsee problems with that.
    DIY store didn't have the shower items I'd ordered after all, despite website saying they did, so have to physically go to the shop for a refund. Don't ask, it's all been an absolute pain in the backside!

On a better note, £20.10 has been paid out from a survey account, so that will go towards the savings when it hits the bank.
    £3.45 from Quidco was paid so that's gone into the overpayment account. I'll update YNAB tonight and will hopefully have chance to list some items on ebay. I sorted some clothes that I've never worn, and am never likely to now , so they can be listed too.

Also need to make some orders and get those sent out. Guess I'm going to have a busy evening!

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Also had my annual bank account 'perk' offered to me today.
    I've selected 6 free cinema tickets as they'll offer the best savings over magazine subscriptions and gourmet club membership. We rarely eat out these days, so I don't want to be encouraged to do so anymore - it's not good for my weight or my bank balance! At least I can take DS to the cinema free a few times

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    One survey completed and another survey account signed up for. Hopefully they'll send some surveys my way soon!

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    4 items photographed and listed on Gumtree this afternoon, one item collected but that was OH's, so that money will be going to him. I have 4 auctions to list on ebay later when DS is in bed.

Signed up for a postal survey scheme, will see what comes of that, if anything.

£12 odd on the way from a little business sale, will pop into the overpayment pot when it reaches the account.

Still awaiting the missing delivery, can't see that arriving somehow... ETA - just phoned them. They have an hour left of deliveries, so if it does arrive tonight it will only be 3 days late...

Have also just chased Quidco AGAIN about a missing £50.50 CB from 7 months ago. They didn't bother to reply to my previous email support request.
    So fed up with companies not doing what they promise.
    Last edited by MeandO; 10-07-2017 at 5:51 PM.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry you had a tough weekend. Being the only adult certainly does bring its challenges.

Yay for the business sale!
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks for the cheerleading HSL2!

I didn't get the ebay items listed, but they're all photographed so it won't take me long once I get round to it.

I ended up wallpapering the last area that I had been unable to do until the building work had been done. Annoyingly, I ran out of wallpaper, only needing 2 more small lengths and none of the offcuts I'd kept were big enough, so I ordered one more roll last night - £11.99 + I found a free delivery code, saving £3.49. Once that's delivered I'll get it done, will be nice to see it finished.

I've brought breakfast and lunch into work, we are kindly being treated to fish & chips tonight, so that will be a nice treat!

The bank account is looking horrendously poor, but everything has been updated in YNAB so I know, once the child benefit and small tax credit payment goes in next week I will have plenty to cover everything. I just need to not spend anything until then really. The car has a full tank of diesel and there's plenty of food in the house so spends will really be minimal.

I am doing really well with the budgets this month. This really is the first month, I think EVER, that I have managed to reign myself in and drastically reduce what I spend on groceries and all the other 'bits'. If I can keep this up for a few months I will be in a much better position.

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Sounds as if all is going well re the budgets MeandO.

Keep going
    Check out my Diary
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you Chandelier.

I'm fuming. Just had an email from a survey company stating they made a mistake - the survey advertised for £10 should have been advertised for 10p, so they are now taking that reward back and putting my account into a deficit of £10 which I have to 'work back' as I've already withdrawn the funds.

Have sent them a stinking email back saying that this is extremely poor practice.

Anyone agree?

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    MeandO
    Two of the gumtree items have been sold, pending collection tomorrow, that should bring in £25 which I'll pay straight into the bathroom fund.

Forgot to say, £5 spent this morning on a school teacher's gift collection. Used money in my purse so didn't come out of the budget.
    Last edited by MeandO; 11-07-2017 at 1:35 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,775Posts Today

6,656Users online

Martin's Twitter