Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,188Posts
    • 5,734Thanks
    MeandO
    Striving to save and stay solvent!
    • 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    Striving to save and stay solvent! 16th May 17 at 9:03 PM
    My previous thread felt a bit old hat and I need to start afresh with a bit more positivity, looking forward rather than back, so here goes...

Although I'm not in debt anymore (apart from the mortgage), I'm not able to overpay my mortgage until I've worked on the savings pots as I really do have practically no money behind me once essential repairs are paid for on this house. Money is extremely tight now I've dropped to part time and am a single parent to my little boy, so I feel more at home here on the DFW board if you'll have me!

It wouldn't take huge emergency to force me back into relying on a credit card or loan again. I really don't want to (and can't afford to) get back into that postion so I have to focus and stay on the straight and narrow.

Link to the previous diary for those interested:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490668
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Savings: £1000/£2000
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000
    Mortgage now: £78,380

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
Page 12
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry to read you've been having a tough week. Sounds a daft question but are there any new families that have joined DS's school this academic year that it might be possible to chat to?

Re the shoes...My feet are size 8 and I find Doc Marten boots and shoes really comfortable. I can't really wear the boots for work, but the shoes are fine. They do tend to be pricey but I find that they last me for years.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 21st Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks all, sorry, wasn't looking for sympathy, just needed a moan!

Unfortunately no new famillies HSL2. I've come to accept it to be honest and just go and stand there and wait for my boy. and not let them bother me. Yesterday afternoon I was glared at by a couple of the 'ringleaders', have previoulsy made attempts to strike up a conversation with them, but I am past trying now. I made a conscious decision quite a while ago not to bother with negative people and to try and care less about people who don't matter in my life, so that is the way I am going.
    I spoke to one Mum this morning briefly, who always seems to be on her own too, but she was obviously in a hurry to get to work as was I.

Anyway, onto other things. I've been able to pay another £100 off the credit card this morning, thanks to some more orders coming in. Once the boots and shoes are returned, £93 will be credited back to it, but I spent £150 yesterday on 3 pairs in the hope they fit. I won't be keeping all three though, so at least £50 of that will be returned. I've no idea what the balance is at the moment on the card, but will update the signature once everything's gone in/out.

Lots to post tonight, but the money for that has been accounted for.
    The boots are to be returned too, thankfully that's free postage.
    The divorce application is being sent off with the £550 cheque and I have one of DS's Christmas presents to collect from Sainsburys (Argos) click & collect.

OH and I are going to the cinema tonight with two free tickets from my Lloyds rewards, so will only cost us parking. We don't partake in the overpriced cinema snacking!

I need to fill up with diesel up tonight too, but it's the first time in a three weeks and that includes a trip back from southampton from our holibobs too, so I'm really pleased with how economical this car is. That reminds me - the car has to go in the garage tomorrow for a repair, but that should be covered by warranty. I'll be arguing the case if they say otherwise.

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 21st Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 18,685 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Everyone needs to rant

Well done on the payment and yay to refunds.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7000.00 Cap 1: £457.35 BC: £5000.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10
    POAMAYC 2018 #?? PD £0.00/£4000
    20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    One of the pairs of boots I ordered yesterday has been reduced to £39 today from £65 so I have ordered another pair and will be returning the first pair when they arrive.

OH and I didn't get to the cinema last night after all, neither of us really felt like it so we've saved the tickets for another day. We popped to the local and had a quick bite to eat instead, courtesy of OH, and then went for a walk as it was such a nice evening.

Tonight DS is with his Dad and OH has his little one, so I will be popping over to his to say hello, then I'm planning on going home for a lovely bath and an early night. I'm so tired of being tired, but I guess a lot of us feel that way! No chance of a lie in tomorrow for me though as Sky are booked to come in the morning, possibly from 7.30am, as have switched to them from v1rgin.

It's pay day on Monday so I need to have a very low spend weekend which should be perfectly achievable. I need to sort all of the christmas gifts out this weekend as I have bought a lot already and it's all over the place at the moment.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    XX

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 23rd Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Picked up afew bits of shopping last night, OH kindly paid for them along with his top up shop and wouldn't take any money. Had dinner at his and then came home relatively early and sorted out all of the Chrstmas gifts I've aready bought. I didn't have as much as I thought for DS, so need to pick up a few more bits for him yet. I have one item on order that was half price, reserved for collection later today. I've also ordered a few more bit for DS's bedroom for Christmas, they should come in a week or so.

I have made a list of what I have and who I need to buy for now though, so that's a good start. I am suggesting to OH tha we buy joint gifts for some people now. I know he hates Christmas shopping anyway and it saves a lot of money and hassle.

I need to pick up one or two groceries that I forgot to get last night, but there's no real rush. I shall book an online main shop for next week as well as were running low on many things now.

I had a rubbish night's sleep last night. I went to bed early, but hardly sleep and have developed what feels like the start of a throat and chest infection. I'm not feeling well today at all, so have dosed up and will be staying in as much as possible, except to pop out to the shop for a collection and to drop the boots back for return.

I have no choice but to stay in this morning as phase 1 of the sky installation is happening today - should be before 1pm.

I've sorted out a pile of paperwork in the kitchen so far and a bag of recycling; earmarked a couple more bits for the charity shop; sorted out some clothes that DS may now have grown into - just need him to try a few bits on for me later when he's back from his Dad's - and tidied my wardrobe a bit. I have wiped a duster round quickly and am now trying to force myself to tackle the mound of paperwork I have upstairs that needs filing and shredding. My enthusiasm is not kicking in for that one though...

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 23rd Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Well, I got the paperwork sorted! Chuffed to finally get rid of the pile that was lurking under a cupboard in my bedroom.
    Sky installation went smoothly, although I'm not too thrilled with how the guy fitted the white wire - right across the room, tacked to the middle of my skirting boards which are 'wood' coloured, so it's ugly, but I'll sort it myself sometime and tack it higher up.

Ds is back with me now and Is staying with me for an extra night this weekend as his Dad is busy... I'm selfishly hoping it rains tomorrow so that an outdoor event is cancelled and we can have a lovely lazy morning instead. I would like us to do a bit of baking too, not sure if I have enough ingredients in to cobble something fun together, but I will have a look tomorrow.

This afternoon I dropped the boots parcel off for returning, so that's £93 back to the credit card soon. Another three pairs that I ordered arrived. One doesn't fit, so shall be returned (along with the second pair of the same boots - when they arrive - as those were the ones that came down vastly in price overnight, so I re-ordered them... following?!!). Once those two are returned, that's another £104 credited back too. Two pairs fit nicely - one short pair and one long pair - so I will be keeping those as a cost of £90 for the two. :O Goodness, that's a lot of money, they'd better last!

I have also splashed out on some new pyjamas for myself as some of mine need throwing now. I need long leg ones which are usually pricey (in my opinion!) and I often kindly get Next ones for Christmas, but I managed to find some on eBay, new, but obviously in a pattern that is no longer for sale in Next so were a cheaper option.

I picked up a few bits in the little shop when I dropped the parcel off, probably overpriced in there but saved me hitting a busy supermarket. Spent just over £3 and £2 on a lottery ticket on a whim. I don't normally do the lottery but guess I was feeling lucky today!

Had a nice couple of hours then chilling out on the sofa, watching a bit of TV - something I never do - but have been feeling quite rough with this bug today so wasn't up to much.

OH invited us over for food this evening, so we've been fed and are now back and both tucked up in our beds. DS has had a bit of a cold too these past few days, so is tired as well.

Aiming for a NSD tomorrow, unless we need bits for baking.

Happy Sunday all xx

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 24th Sep 17, 5:37 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Very impressed that you have some of your Christmas shopping sorted out!

Hope the bug passes quickly.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 24th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 18,685 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    What a busy day you had yesterday

Did you win anything on the lottery?

Hope DS is feeling a bit better today.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 24th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    We won a lucky dip Purps, so I'm telling myself I'll still be a millionaire, just a few days later...

DS and I are feeling rubbish today. We're both full of cold and flu and I hardly slept again. I eventually dropped off after a few hours then had an awful nightmare which left me terrified all night thereafter. It was about something that is presently going on in 'real life' which I can't really mention on here, but the police called me yesterday and were dealing with it (finally). I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not though...

Anyway, we've only been out today to pick up more cold and flu meds in Home Bargains. Some chocolate 'fell' into the basket whilst we were there and a treat for DS (£3.99) as he missed out a bit today due to Mummy feeling particularly cr&p.

I've placed an online grocery order for next Tuesday, using the delivery saver. Unfortunately the £5 off voucher I had expired the day before I can get it delivered with the midweek delivery saver, but nevermind.

Off to cook DS some tea, then baths and bed early for us.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    It's payday today and I've made sure to transfer £150 straight to the savings fund and start building that up again. Once all the bits and pieces of money come in for the month I should be able to top it up a bit more. There's currently £1275 in there, but I'm due to have some work done on the house which is going to cost £975, so, coupled with the fee for the divorce last month, there'll only be £300 left in there once the work is paid for. My car insurance, MOT and house insurance are both due in the next few months - all before Christmas - so I would like to build that fund up to at least £500 before next payday, so £200 left to find.

I also need to overpay the credit card as much as possible. There will be £330 going on it within the next few weeks which is now unavoidable, but I want the balance down to a maximum of £500 by Christmas, if not gone. Guess I'd better start looking for that money tree...

I have loads of surveys to do later too, Ive neglected them all weekend.

Off to look at the Tesco delivery again to see if there's anything I really don't need...

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Managed to cut the Tesco shopping down by around £4.

I've also requested a £50 sky incentive today which is now on the way. When it comes I think I'll use it towards the grocery budget and 'free up' £50 from my bank account with it, paying that off the credit card or adding to savings instead.

I've also withdrawn £19 from paypal in business takings, there's also around another £75 to hit the bank account within a few days. If I don't need to purchase any supplies I can use that money to pay off the card or up the savings.

Today I've submitted an enquiry about a claim to have the cavity wall insulation removed from the house. I'm pretty sure that's contributing to issues of damp, mould and condensation in the house and I have the guarantee for it which came with the house.
    A colleague has recently done the same, so he's kindly given me the contact info to use to get the ball rolling. We'll see what comes of that.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 28th Sep 17, 1:41 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Wow, that sounds promising to get the damp problems sorted out.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 28th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks HSL, I'm 99% sure it's not the main problem in one area, but it's certainly contributing to problems in other areas. I had a reply to say someone will be in touch within 2 weeks, so we shall see what they have to say.

I've had an awful week. There's no point me moaning about it all, but I'm not in the best place at the moment. Being ill all week with very little sleep is not helping my mood, but until this bug has gone there's not much I can do about that!
    Work has been dreadful, it's just a horrible place to be now and we're not being treated very fairly, but I need the job, so needs must.
    I'm also going to have to wrap up my small business this year or next. Basically, it's not paying like it used to as designs and ideas have been copied on such a large scale and there is nothing I can do about it. Once I've used up the supplies I have in, that will be it. It will cost me around £3k to re-stock and I don't have that sort of money, nor will it make that back anytime soon.
    Feels quite sad to be honest. At one point, I was considering doing that full time as it was so successful.

Anyway, onto other things. I've been spending a lot on Christmas presents, but at least it will be done nearer the time.

Tesco shop came in at £52 ish. No other spends in the grocery budget. OH dropped some YS meat in the other night for us to make a lovely casserole for tonight. He also brought loads of veg in which will last a good while.

One more £5 amazon voucher redeemed from surveys. A couple more surveys and I should have another, I just need to find time to sit down and do them.

OH and I were supposed to be going on a free swim/sauna/steam room evening tonight, but I am feeling so ill that I've emailed the company and requested to postpone until Saturday. Hopefully I'm feeling better by then.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 30th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    What a shame about your small business. Are there not copyright rules that can be applied to your designs? I can understand about the outlay side. Each year I wrestle with myself about buying extra Spring bulbs to pot up and sell but if they go over before being sold, that is a total loss and I end up losing more than 8'm making. Must be hard though when so much time and effort has gone into it. Thinking of you.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 30-09-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 30th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 18,685 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi MeandO,

Sounds like you're going through the mill at the moment.

Hope the police thing sorts things out for you.

Bah to being ill too, there's a lot doing the rounds at the moment.

The spa day sounds lovely and you'll definitely feel more relaxed and enjoy it more when you're better.

Sending big hugs your way and I'm here if you need an ear to bend xx

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you both, I do appreciate your replies and cheery-up thoughts immensely.

Unfortunately it's such a difficult grey area with copyrighting HSL2, I've looked into it in depth previously, but it's not really an option. It is very frustrating and quite soul destroying when you've worked really hard to develop ideas and someone just comes along and profits from your hard work. I've come to accept it's the way of the world unfortunately though.

Thank you too Purple we did go for the swim and sauna on Saturday after all. I wasn't really feeling like it tbh, but it was free and we would've lost the opportunity otherwise. We did enjoy, although I can't say it's helped this flu I have much. Am feeling rotten today and am off work with it.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    As above, I am feeling 'proper rough' today and most of the weekend, this bug has been battering me for ten days now and I'm feeling so drained. I've had to phone in sick today, much to the manager's annoyance, but I am feeling terrible.

This weekend has been quite a spendy one. Nothing in particular, just lots of little spends on Christmas presents, some craft stuff for DS to make some gifts with, a few groceries and cleaning products and a birthday present and a few cards.
    I've update YNAB this morning though and it's all ok - ish. Need to reign back the spending for the rest of the month now though.

I have been able to pay another £94.58 off the credit card today through some business sales, and there's just under £160 on the way to the business account within the next few days, so I'm hoping to make another payment to the card of at least £120.
    I chased up a refund on the boots/shoes this morning as I still hadn't received it - was told to wait another week, but it miraculously appeared in my inbox since. That's £94 credited back, and there's another £90 due in refunds within the next week or so hopefully - I need to keep an eye on those and make sure they're actioned.

I'm still waiting on the £48 cheque due from an ongoing long-term dispute and there should also be a £50 prepaid card on the way to me from sky rewards.

I helped OH with his remortgage last night, he's switched to a 5 year fix with a lower rate. I am still in my fix period, but as soon as I'm out in May I shall be looking around for deals. I checked my mortgage this morning and, if I can find an extra £102 to overpay this month, I will bring the mortgage down into the next thousand from £79000 into the £78000's. Really am hoping to get rid of this credit card ASAP and be able to throw more money at overpaying the mortgage.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    I've completed lots of surveys this afternoon and have earned enough points for another £5 Amazon voucher reward. This will be put towards OHs Christmas present which is around £90, so I need to do a fair few more surveys yet...

Went to pick DS up from school - completely forgetting he has a club on Mondays after school, so have to go back and pick him up when it finishes shortly.

I've done two loads of washing this afternoon, unfortunately having to use the tumble dryer as the weather is horrible.
    Dinner for DS will be something from the freezer, I'm not particularly hungry but will find something in the cupboards later, there's plenty of food in.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That's great news about the mortgage getting close to the £78ks. It really does help when figures are visibly moving downward!

Remain totally impressed that you have so much Christmas shopping sorted. I've still got 2 birthdays so can't quite get my mind around Christmas until the birthdays have passed.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 3rd Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    MeandO
    It is indeed very motivating HSL2. Like the debt, I'm so impatient to get rid of the mortgage, I'm always nervous about actually having one. 5 years and what feels like a different life ago I was mortgage free and never lived in fear of potentially losing my home if things took a downward turn, but that's a different story. In fact, it feels like a whole different book!

I've tried to do a few more surveys tonight, but have been screened out. I have some orders to do tonight as a few more have come in since yesterday which I'm very grateful for as they've brought in a few more £'s to help pay off the credit card. Just a shame its not yet paying down the mortgage or going into savings, but hopefully soon...

A couple of items arrived which I'd bought for DS and OH's child for Christmas, but they were terrible - faulty and of poor quality, so I have requested a refund for those which is about £25 altogether.
    Still waiting for the shoes refund to show on the credit card and for confirmation that two of the packages have been received. It's such a hassle returning things sometimes, I really don't see why it should take so long.

DS and I have had a lovely afternoon after school which consisted of a bit of crafting and making some Christmas presents for DS to give to family. We didn't have the best of mornings - everything seem to be more difficult than it needed to be, so I was determined to make this after school fun.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter