Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,058Posts
    • 5,261Thanks
    MeandO
    Striving to save and stay solvent!
    • 16th May 17, 9:03 PM
    Striving to save and stay solvent! 16th May 17 at 9:03 PM
    My previous thread felt a bit old hat and I need to start afresh with a bit more positivity, looking forward rather than back, so here goes...

Although I'm not in debt anymore (apart from the mortgage), I'm not able to overpay my mortgage until I've worked on the savings pots as I really do have practically no money behind me once essential repairs are paid for on this house. Money is extremely tight now I've dropped to part time and am a single parent to my little boy, so I feel more at home here on the DFW board if you'll have me!

It wouldn't take huge emergency to force me back into relying on a credit card or loan again. I really don't want to (and can't afford to) get back into that postion so I have to focus and stay on the straight and narrow.

Link to the previous diary for those interested:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5490668
    Last edited by MeandO; 17-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Debt: CC @ 0%: £879
    Mortgage at 24/11/2016: £97,000
    Mortgage now: £79,294

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
Page 10
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Aug 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    Yes I had a full survey done HSL and they did pick up on a small little bit of damp, but I never envisaged the problems I'm encountering now.

To add to the pile of stress tonight, I got home and noticed a new issue - big wet patch on a wall that wasn't there yesterday and noticeably wet to touch and getting bigger. To cut a long story short, I'm currently waiting for the home insurance to call back with an appointment for tomorrow, I think there may be roof issues of something that's now letting water in. That's another room I just redecorated, ruined.

My Mum has a neurology appointment tomorrow. We may or may not find out whether they can or can't treat her cancer, as we're still awaiting the op results, but her pain is progressing fast. ☹️

Work is just awful. I struggled through today, but morale is so low and there's stress from all angles there.

OH and his little one are probably going to have to back out of our holiday next week now as something unavoidable but extremely important has come up. (I can't go into details on here). So it's just DS and I, DS will be bitterly disappointed, but we lose all the money if I don't go.

I have no idea how I'm going to pay for the house repairs. I just don't have the money and cannot afford a loan or an increase on the mortgage on my single part time wage.

I'm so fed up.

I Just fell and hurt my arm trying to move furniture out of the way of the latest issue. I'm still sat where I fell, on my lounge floor, tears flowing, feeling utterly defeated by life at the moment tbh.

• stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 22nd Aug 17, 8:58 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 3,547 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Didn't want to read and run. I'm so sorry to hear of all that you're going though, and the latest damp patch has just tipped you over the edge, hasn't it? No real words of wisdom, but i know you'll come through it. Keep going, one foot in front of the other. Sending virtual hugs x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8789 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 22nd Aug 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I couldn't read and run but know there's nothing I can to make you feel any better.

Please don't think you're alone though. We are all here any time any day x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 22nd Aug 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    So sorry MeandO, things seem to be getting on top of you which is completely understandable with everything going on at once.

Take some time for yourself when you need to - there's no shame in being stressed/worried/down.

Sending big hugs x
    £450/3000 OH BC(85% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £450/31010.23 (98.54% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,950.00 (2017 O/P £1774.74) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £16241.98/14,539.71
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Aug 17, 10:38 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    So sorry MeandO.

Re the damp patch, if the patch is getting bigger rapidly could there be a leaky pipe behind the plaster? Is the damp patch in a room that is likely to have pipes behind such as near a bathroom?

Hope your arm is OK. Thinking of you.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 23rd Aug 17, 7:28 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Damp doesn't just appear, it always has a root cause - I'm thinking along the same lines as Honeysuckle.

Are you a detached house or semi-detached? If you are semi then it might be an issue with your neighbours.

Houses are so blinkin' expensive aren't they? Wont the insurance cover the work and you just pay the excess?

Sorry to hear about your mum and her pain - hope the appointment goes as well as it can do in the circumstances.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Aug 17, 6:59 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    How are you MeandO? Hope your arm is better from last night. Have the insurance people been helpful? Hope your mum's appointment bears positive news.
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 30th Aug 17, 12:42 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hope you're OK. Sending ((hugs)) and positive thoughts to you X
    G,C. Sept. = £239.74/£300 = £60.26
    NSD so far = 17/30
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 30th Aug 17, 6:09 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you're OK. Sending ((hugs)) and positive thoughts to you X
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    From me too xx
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 1st Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Chrystal
    How are things going MeandO? Really hope you're feeling better than you were on your last post. XX
    NSD so far = 17/30
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you everyone, sorry for the AWOLness, I'm ok, just taken a break from here for a bit.

The water in the house soon dried up and disappeared. It was investigated but they couldn't find a cause, but then I didn't really rate the knowlegde of the guy they'd sent out anyway tbh. I think we're due lots of rain now so will have a look myself and see if I can figure out where it's coming from. I did book a 'damp survey' for today which would have cost £60, but I cancelled it as I couldn't help feeling it was a bit of a con having to pay for someone to find the problem.

Bathroom is hopefully going to be done within the next few weeks. I've been chasing the builder for 6 months+ now so this is his last chance.

No positive news from my Mum yet unfortunately, we're still waiting on test results.

OH and I took the kids away for a planned (and paid for) break last week. It was really nice to get away but we had to deal with some really bad behaviour whilst we were away - both from a child (not mine!) and an adult - it's a long story, but I can't mention it on here. The police are now involved so I'm hoping that gets sorted soon. It's one more thing to deal with that I could really do without.
    Needless to say, I came back from holiday, needing a holiday.
    My phone also packed in whilst I was there and is unfixable, so I had to buy a new one. Marvellous.

Good news is that I barely spent a penny whilst I was away. OH paid for fuel and groceries and we didn't eat out once as were quite happy self catering. My grocery and petrol budget is looking good so far this month thanks to that.
    My Mum very kindly sent us £20 towards our holiday which we didn't spend whilst we were there, so I used it to buy us all fish & chips for a treat at the weekend when we returned. There was leftover change which went on stocking up on a few bits for the cupboard.

I've ordered a tesco shop for tonight, using a £7 off a £50 spend voucher. Should come in at around £43-£44.

I've been able to pay nearly £180 off the credit card the past few days thanks to YNAB and some business sales and I should be able to pay off around another £50 to it this week. It currently stands at just under £1000, but I hope to be able to wipe this by the end of the year, that's the target anyway, not sure how achievable it is considering they'll be another £300 going on it next month due to a pre-booked event (which I wish I'd never booked but can't cancel now).
    I have quite a few orders to make and post, so that's tonight's entertainment sorted for me.

I've caught up with most of the surveys I have been sent. Have decided to ditch one company and just concentrate on two. I do ok with the ones I have and am able to earn bits here and there so I'm happy with that. I don't find the other company as reliable and more often than not am screened out all the time.
    I've cashed in £20 of the amazon vouchers today on a phone case for my new phone and a Christmas gift for OH. I had to bring it to over £20 for the free delivery, to save the £3.99 postal charge, so tagged one of the gifts I'd planned to buy him onto the order.

I've also ordered quite a few Christmas gifts from the works, with a 30% off code I found online. I spent around £11 from the bank account as I had some money in my business paypal account I put towards the total cost of £55.

I have saved £200 towards the emergency pot this month too. The normal £150 + an extra £50 from the business. I'm hoping to be able to put the tax credits towards that this month too, or pay it off the credit card - one or the other.

Hope everyone's doing ok.
    Xx

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 5th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    Tesco delivery has arrived and all has been unpacked and put away. Came in at £46 exactly.

Two loads of washing have been done, unfortunately had to dry in the tumble dryer as the weather's pants, but had to be done.

I've given the fridge freezer a wipe over and clean - I'm selling it and buying a smaller one as this is a huge one that came with the house. Hopefully I will have around £60 left from the sale of this one once I've sold it and bought a smaller (and cheaper) one. If so, it'll go off the credit card.

Once Ds is in bed I'll be making his packed lunch for tomorrow and mine for work. Determined to eat healthier this week, felt ill from overeating a stodgy meal last night and really need to lose some weight.

Tonight DS and I harvested a few things from the garden - some
    Tomatoes, lots of runner beans which I'll prep for the freezer later, a few small beetroots and some hazelnuts from the tree that overhangs the garden. I really haven't looked after the fruit and veg like I should have this year, but it's been difficult to find the time this summer with everything else going on. Must do better next year.

• Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 5th Sep 17, 11:22 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hi MeandO
    Great to see you back again - was feeling a bit worried about you.

I'm hoping you hear positive results from your Mams tests. XX It sounds as though a lot of things aren't exactly great at the moment, but everyone on here is on your side and sending positive thoughts that things improve quickly.

Money wise you've done really well - long may it continue
    Take care and keep posting as it really does help when you don't feel so alone. X
    NSD so far = 17/30
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    What a lovely post Chrystal, thank you, it really does mean a lot. xx

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    A bit more cash has hit the bank account from the business today so I've been able to pay another £93.54 off the credit card. (random amount, but shoving every penny I can at it.)
    The balance now stands at £879. It's still a lot, but considering the balance was around £1200 on my last statement, I'm pretty pleased with the progress in a few weeks. My goal is to get it to £750 before the next statement is due in just under a month, so another £179 to find/make.

Last night I made lovely lunches for DS and I for today and overnight oats for breakfast for myself with lots of berries. Yum.
    I prepped the runner beans we'd picked and cooked some for my dinner, the rest went in the freezer.
    I got a pack of mince out of the freezer to make a big lasgane today to portion for the freezer for quick and tasty after school meals for DS. A second pack is defrosting to make a Keema Karai for myself and OH tonight with some lovely spices from a kit I have. Hopefully they'll be some left over for lunch tomorrow too as it was lovely last time I made it.

I didn't get any orders made last night unfortunately as I was so busy sorting other things out and by 9pm I was so tired I went off to bed. I won't be able to do them tonight either as I have too much on, so Thursday is earmarked for that.

I have enquiries about some items on Gumtree, should net £20 if sold but, tbh, I'm getting really tired of the hassle of selling and arranging for people coming over etc, it rarely turns out to be staright forward. I'll continue with this one and then I'll try and stick to ebay for selling all other bits if possible.

Happy Wednesday all xx

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    Another £5 Amazon voucher redeemed from surveys.

£1.20 soent from purse on snacks at work - sure eating loads of fruit just makes me hungrier.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 6th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Good to see you back MeandO. Glad that the damp patch has dried out. Did any of the heavy rain cause a recurrence?

Well done on getting your cc down so quickly. Has your little one settled back to school?
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 7th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    H HSL

The water does seem to have dried out and so far there's been no re-occurence, but then we don't seem to have had that much rain. I'm anticipating it re-appearing at some point over the winter, but I'll deal with it when I have to.

DS was a bit nervy about going back to school yesterday, but seemed ok when I picked him up. He had swimming lessons after school too, so was really tired after his busy day! Hope your little ones have settled back in too HSL.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 7th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    The fridge freezer has sold, so that will be going next week. They did knock me down on price a little bit, but will be selling that one for £36 more than I'm paying for the new one, so I will pay that off the credit card.
    Had another £20 come in yesterday, so used that to pay a bit off the mortgage to round it down to the next £100 bracket and tidy up the numbers a bit. Now stands at £79,294. :0 Should probably have paid it off the credit card, but it gave me a little boost to see it coming off the mortgage.

A refund of around £37 is also on the way to the bank account, so I will be paying that off the credit card too when it is returned.

I batch cooked the lasagne last night and will be portioning it up tonight. DS will also be having some for his tea today. Our meal was lovely and there was enough left over for a portion of lunch. I sent OH off to work with it as I brought a tin of soup today.

Tonight will be taken up with completing orders once DS is in bed, so not much time to do anything else. Will be pleased to get it all done though, ready for posting.
    Last edited by MeandO; 07-09-2017 at 10:07 AM.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 8th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    MeandO
    Completed all my orders and the one that came in whilst I was working on the others, so they will be posted tonight or tomorrow.

I received my order from the works - really impressed with the amount I got for my money and now have lots more Christmas presents sorted and a few books for me to read and some new recipe inspiration! They sent me a 20% off code so I ordered some more bits for Christmas last night as well as some crafty items that DS and I can make a few gifts with.

I've completed a few more surveys this morning. There's a couple more to do which I'll check out tonight if I get chance, or catch up with them over the weekend.

I need to update YNAB later too. I am having trouble syncing it with my phone now as the old one died and I lost the number too as I took a new (cheaper) contract with tesco. Now they want to send verification to my old number and it's causing issues. I'll try and get it sorted this weekend.

I've cancelled v!rg!n today, early and without penalty thanks to their recent price rise. I'm shopping around for a better BB & phone/tv deal now and looking at cash back or the 'refer a friend' rewards so should net at least £50 from that plus the monthly savings.

I quickly meal planned for the week ahead this morning so know we have everything we need for evening meals for the week. I also am trying to use up a bit from the freezer as I think the new one is slightly smaller and I don't fancy playing freezer-jenga to cram everything in!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,507Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin