Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rizalloo5
    • By Rizalloo5 16th May 17, 8:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rizalloo5
    Jury Service Information NEEDED PLEASE
    • 16th May 17, 8:57 PM
    Jury Service Information NEEDED PLEASE 16th May 17 at 8:57 PM
    I have Jury Service soon and I am also on Job Seekers Allowance.

My Adviser told me I would have to sign off but she is not sure and to come in for a quick appointment to settle it all out as she wants to get the right information on what to do.

I read gov [dot] uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

and it says "Financial support and benefits (like Jobseeker’s Allowance) are unaffected for the first 8 weeks you’re on jury service."

Does that mean they pay forward 8 weeks of payments to me or how does it work exactly? I understand after 8 weeks I will get signed off and that's fine if I do, but during the 8 weeks, how are the payments processed if I'm not available to go in to sign since I'll be in Service?

I would like some information please so that I can tell my adviser because I don't want her to say that I have to sign off when I know I don't have too. Any information will be amazing, thank you.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in.
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 16th May 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    London50
    • 16th May 17, 9:24 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:24 PM
    You do not get anything from jury service until you are discharged by the court. You then need to claim via the form they give you and get your payments a week or 10 days later.
    IMO {and I am no expert} because you are on jury service you SHOULD still be paid by JSA even though you are not able to sign during that time and you would not have any other money coming in.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 16th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 16th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:55 PM
    im thinking of signing up to do this.
    • London50
    • By London50 16th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    London50
    • 16th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:00 PM
    im thinking of signing up to do this.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    To do what????
    • Rizalloo5
    • By Rizalloo5 16th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rizalloo5
    • 16th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:21 PM
    You do not get anything from jury service until you are discharged by the court. You then need to claim via the form they give you and get your payments a week or 10 days later.
    IMO {and I am no expert} because you are on jury service you SHOULD still be paid by JSA even though you are not able to sign during that time and you would not have any other money coming in.
    Originally posted by London50
    Yeah, I kind of figured they would have to as they do state my claim is unaffected for 8 weeks, but it's nice to know you think that too. I'll definitely be bringing this up as I don't want my claim closed and then have to rapid claim. Thank you for your reply.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 17th May 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 17th May 17, 12:42 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:42 PM
    You don't sign up to do jury service. People are selected at random to do it.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:44 PM
    Yes, 98% of Jury duty lasts 2 weeks so does not affect benefits.

You can request the daily lunch £ from the Usher, but other than that any claims for expenses are made at the end of the fortnight.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin