Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SomethingUnpredictable
    • By SomethingUnpredictable 16th May 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SomethingUnpredictable
    GiffGaff will not repair or replace phone!
    • 16th May 17, 8:31 PM
    GiffGaff will not repair or replace phone! 16th May 17 at 8:31 PM
    Hi Moneysavers,

Your advice would be appreciated.

Last September I bought a refurbished!phone from GiffGaff, which was under manufacturers warranty.

In January it went black-screen and I returned it for repair according to their instructions. They returned it with the fault repaired but with a new fault.

The Wifi barely worked. I had to place the phone next to the router to get more than one bar of Wifi signal. The Bluetooth was similarly poor. (My partner has the same phone, also on GiffGaff, and no issues, so we know that the problem is with my phone.)
    Of course I returned it for repair. In fact I returned it another three times, as they failed to fix the fault each time. I pointed out that the fault was of their making but this was not acknowledged.

As I was in the final stages of a research degree, and as my phone serves as tablet, satnav and landline, I had trouble finding times I could live without it, so the process became protracted over five months. (To complicate matters just a little, on the third return I returned it with a cracked screen. I normally use glass screen protectors, and I thought it was just the screen protector which had cracked; however they had removed the screen protector on each return (and they're not cheap at 6 a pop) and I hadn't replaced it. They charged me 125 to replace the screen, which I paid in the foolish confidence of getting the fault fixed.)

Their rules say that they will replace the phone after it has been returned 3 times for the same fault. However, that condition finally being met (returned 4 times in total), they returned it with a brief and unhelpful note saying that the phone had damage which was not covered by the warranty.

I queried this with Customer Services (they do not have a call centre, so this is done via their website) and was told that the phone had damage to the main board which had occurred in between the 3rd and 4th return. I had not thrown the phone at any walls during this time, despite the temptation!

You will understand my complete disbelief and frustration! What can I do?

With thanks for your patience,
    SU
    Last edited by SomethingUnpredictable; 16-05-2017 at 8:33 PM.
Page 1
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 17th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 17th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:57 PM
    Unfortunately GiffGaff are cheap for a reason. Someone must be propping the company up.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 17th May 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 17th May 17, 7:21 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:21 PM
    Don't understand why they accepted it for a repair, return it, then claim late it's not under warranty - very odd.

If it has a warranty with the manufacturer, try contacting them direct. I know strictly speaking that the warranty is with the retailer, but worth a try.

I dealt with LG direct on a recent repair to avoid the pain of going via the retailer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,917Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter