Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sallysaver
    • By sallysaver 16th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 723Posts
    • 314Thanks
    sallysaver
    0 WOW
    Building site discovered at Hotel.
    • 16th May 17, 8:12 PM
    0 WOW
    Building site discovered at Hotel. 16th May 17 at 8:12 PM
    We have just returned from 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Express, Fort Lauderdale, booked through Expedia.com. Unfortunately they are currently building an extension onto this Hotel which is huge. There was no mention made of it by Expedia at the time of booking or up to the departure date. The cost was £616.75. I wrote to Expedia outlining the problems and asked for a refund and they have replied saying they, too, were unaware of any building going on. Of course, I can only take their word for this. They have offered a voucher for £150 which will be added to my account and it is valid for 12 months. Are they within their rights to offer a voucher or should I try again and ask if they will refund to the debit card the booking was made on. I certainly didn't pay by voucher. Thank you
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 16th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 16th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:22 PM
    They're within their rights to offer you nothing unless the hotel was not as described or they breached the contract in some other way. I think £150 is very generous.

What was the impact of the building work on your stay? Did you give the hotel a chance to rectify this, e.g. by moving you to a different room?

Expedia have no way of knowing if building work is going on unless the hotel notifies them. Did you check the reviews before booking?
    • sallysaver
    • By sallysaver 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    sallysaver
    • 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    Thanks for the reply and I do appreciate your view from another prospective! I think its pretty clear that the hotel was not as described when there was no mention of any building work going on. Expedia are obviously using photographs pre building works. When I use the word 'huge' it is just that with massive cranes, in situ along with all other equipment one would associate with a major extension and moving to another room would have made no difference. The only way this establishment will be rectified in when this work is finished which I understand will be Christmas 2017. As we stayed here before pre building work, we had some idea of the facilities this hotel provided hence using again.

However, what I was asking really, are they (Expedia) in their rights to give a voucher in leiu of money.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 17th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 17th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the reply and I do appreciate your view from another prospective! I think its pretty clear that the hotel was not as described when there was no mention of any building work going on. Expedia are obviously using photographs pre building works. When I use the word 'huge' it is just that with massive cranes, in situ along with all other equipment one would associate with a major extension and moving to another room would have made no difference. The only way this establishment will be rectified in when this work is finished which I understand will be Christmas 2017. As we stayed here before pre building work, we had some idea of the facilities this hotel provided hence using again.

However, what I was asking really, are they (Expedia) in their rights to give a voucher in leiu of money.
    Originally posted by sallysaver
    You cuold always ask them for a cash payment but they might turn round and say no or give you less than the voucher! as you have used that hotel before you ,i presume travel a lot so the voucher may be better value.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th May 17, 10:31 AM
    • 6,854 Posts
    • 8,441 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th May 17, 10:31 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:31 AM
    Nearly 25% back? Take it and move on.
    • sallysaver
    • By sallysaver 17th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    sallysaver
    • 17th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:06 PM
    Thank you to everyone who responded.

We have another reservation with Expedia for July and although it is paid for, they have agreed to take it off the payment they already have. That to me, is as good as a refund, it's still going into my Bank at the end of the day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin