Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kelv1984
    • By kelv1984 16th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kelv1984
    Tricky situation need advice please.
    • 16th May 17, 8:01 PM
    Tricky situation need advice please. 16th May 17 at 8:01 PM
    Hi All,

I am in a situation and need some advice on the next step.

ok so I owe the following,

WITHOUT LISTING ALL creditors TOTAL Debt is = 62181.65 as of May 1st.

THIS IS MADE UP OF UNSECURED DEBT. LOANS, CC'S AND OVERDRAFTS.

I AM CURRENTLY ON A DMP WITH STEP CHANGE.

My salary is 1200 per month so I pay 240 per month to step change towards my debt after other bills etc.

Also I owe a family member 40000. (Not included in the Dmp)

So Total Debt is 102181.65

ASSETS I OWN.

PROPERTY FLAT 180000 (NO MORTGAGE OR LOANS)
    SAVINGS ACCOUNT 4000

I've been promoted at work and will be on 40k per annum from September this year. RE 2600 per month net.

So just some advice needed as I'm thinking of using some equity from flat to pay off debts.

But as I bought the flat under the right to buy scheme only two years ago I will have to pay a large chunk back to local council if I sell. but year 2020 I will be free of this restriction.

any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 16th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 10,669 Posts
    • 7,967 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 16th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 16th May 17, 8:24 PM
    I wouldn't move unsecured debt to secured

Sometimes a dmp is the least worst option. However, you are moving into the area where an IVA might work.

Have stepchange mentioned this?
    • kelv1984
    • By kelv1984 16th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kelv1984
    • 16th May 17, 8:35 PM
    • 16th May 17, 8:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply yes step change did mention it but advised to stay on Dmp.
    as IVA wasn't applicable as my debts are lower then my assets.
    Last edited by kelv1984; 16-05-2017 at 8:53 PM.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 37,999 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 17th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:22 PM
    Congratulations on your promotion, that's great news! I take it that is 100% definite, you've had confirmation in writing etc?

I'd start now to put together a new SOA - once your salary increases are you planning to save the extra money towards F&F settlements? Either way, do NOT look to convert unsecured borrowing to secured - consolidation of any type is rarely a good plan but that way lies madness.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
  • National Debtline
    • 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    Hi kelv1984

Great news on the promotion, well done! I would also suggest starting with a new SOA based on your promotion http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php. If your outgoings remain the same as they are now you will have a considerable amount of extra money that you can afford to pay into the DMP, drastically reducing the current term.

You can work out the term of a DMP by taking your total level of debt, dividing it by the amount of money you can afford to pay each month, and then dividing that figure by 12.

You certainly need to be very cautious about using equity in the flat to pay off your debts. Once a debt is secured, your home will be at risk if you cannot keep up repayments. You would also need to consider the costs involved because of the right to buy scheme.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,508Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin