Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 16th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3,193Posts
    • 1,317Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    BoS statement format too obscure for Paypal (a/c suspended)
    • 16th May 17, 6:44 PM
    BoS statement format too obscure for Paypal (a/c suspended) 16th May 17 at 6:44 PM
    I had my PP a/c suspended because the activity on it, which hasn't altered in months, is now regarded as unusual. They want a copy of the latest statement and won't accept screenprints, but will take several popular formats. These don't extend to either of the extensions that Bank of Scotland offer, one of which is .cvs. Windows 8.1 can't open or even save this file from the downloads list, which has me completely stumped.
Page 1
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 16th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,343 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 16th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:57 PM
    CSV is just plain text. You can open it with Notepad, Excel, or anything that reads text files.

Why PayPal will accept that, I have no idea. You could edit it *very* easily on your computer.

• molerat
    • By molerat 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 17,473 Posts
    • 11,700 Thanks
    molerat
    • 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    PDF ? Download a pdf creator program and "print" to that.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 16th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Chapuys
    • 16th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 16th May 17, 8:54 PM
    I'm guessing the Bank of Scotland website is very similar to Halifax's. Install a PDF creator printer driver. Then you just go to the account, select the account and go into it. Go to the bottom. Click print and print again and save it.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 16th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 4,352 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 16th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:02 PM
    I had my PP a/c suspended because the activity on it, which hasn't altered in months, is now regarded as unusual. They want a copy of the latest statement and won't accept screenprints, but will take several popular formats. These don't extend to either of the extensions that Bank of Scotland offer, one of which is .cvs. Windows 8.1 can't open or even save this file from the downloads list, which has me completely stumped.
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    You did say CVS but presumably mean CSV which is just comma separated variables, standard for about 40 years in IT.

What formats do paypal take ? I expect someone can talk you through changing CSV to one of them.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 16th May 17, 11:20 PM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 16th May 17, 11:20 PM
    • 16th May 17, 11:20 PM
    Plenty of file conversion utilities available on interweb.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 19th May 17, 1:34 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    • 19th May 17, 1:34 AM
    • 19th May 17, 1:34 AM
    CSV is just plain text. You can open it with Notepad, Excel, or anything that reads text files.

Why PayPal will accept that, I have no idea. You could edit it *very* easily on your computer.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    In the OP I stated that they don't. If they did accept it, there would be no point in the thread.

You did say CVS but presumably mean CSV which is just comma separated variables, standard for about 40 years in IT.

What formats do paypal take ? I expect someone can talk you through changing CSV to one of them.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Yes, .csv .
    Chapuys has already talked me through it, and a good job too because the instructions here are a nonsense. If you click on 'printing preferences' to try and get the 2nd screen it shows, it just comes up with the last screen, which is a dead end. All those screens inbetween telling you what printing formats to choose are just unnecessary.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th May 17, 2:09 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 19th May 17, 2:09 AM
    • 19th May 17, 2:09 AM
    On what basis are PayPal demanding to see your bank statements? Tell them to get lost. Not their business.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 18,703 Posts
    • 14,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    On what basis are PayPal demanding to see your bank statements? Tell them to get lost. Not their business.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Fine, but the OP's PP account will stay suspended, which presumably is not the result that he wants.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 19th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Don80
    Pdf?
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    I just logged in to my Bank of Scotland internet banking, it has the option to download your statement as a PDF, surely that would be okay? Alternatively you might be able to print the statement and ask the bank to stamp it (this is okay for UK visa applications, so surely paypal would be ok with it!)? If not, ask for a paper statement, the first copy should be free.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 19th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 17,473 Posts
    • 11,700 Thanks
    molerat
    Where is that ? I can only find export as .csv or .qif and print as .jsp. The only .pdf option is on the credit card.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 19th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Be Happy
    One point in this thread. Are you absolutely sure this is a genuine Paypal message and not the usual scam. I get the e-mail once or twice a month telling me that my Paypal account has been suspended because of unusual activity until I provide further information.

Doesn't bother me in the least as I don't have a Paypal account.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 25th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    I managed to get it converted to a PDF but now they are saying this:

The statement must show your name, address and account number exactly as they appear in your PayPal account and must have been issued within the last 12 months.

Well, IDK of any online statement that includes your address, and PP must know that millions go for paperless. Why are they interested in my external accounts anyway?

One point in this thread. Are you absolutely sure this is a genuine Paypal message and not the usual scam. I get the e-mail once or twice a month telling me that my Paypal account has been suspended because of unusual activity until I provide further information.
    Originally posted by Be Happy
    Yes, the genuine Paypal message appears after logging into your account. Also, I didn't log in via an email link (like e.g. Nationwide invite you to do) because a genuine looking URL can lead to a cloned site. For those who take such shortcuts, try this:
    www.paypal.com
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 25th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    KJSmith
    When viewing your transactions through BOS Internet Banking you can click the "Print" button near the bottom of the page. This will open a new window showing a statement with your name, address, account details and selected transactions. This page can be printed and then scanned or you might have a PDF printer that allows you to save the page as a PDF (Google Chrome has this functionality built in).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,984Posts Today

8,711Users online

Martin's Twitter