Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 16th May 17, 6:34 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    XP date and time info wrong
    • 16th May 17, 6:34 PM
    XP date and time info wrong 16th May 17 at 6:34 PM
    So the problem I have is that I need to pull some info out of an old program (2013 release), loaded the CD on the XP, ran it, all installed beautifully. Tried to open it and it says the date has expired....time sensitive.

So clever clogs here thought, no problem just wind back the clock to 2014 both on the task bar and confirmed in the BIOS. Turned off the time synchronisation to internet function, switched off its network connection.
    Tried opening the program but no joy, but it doesn't say the date has expired, instead I get a message saying problems detected with the computer's date and time information.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled countless times and it makes no difference. Still the same.

Any ideas where to go next?
Page 1
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 16th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 16th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:48 PM
    There will be an entry in the Windows registry that is being left behind even after you uninstall.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 16th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 16th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:49 PM
    Have you restored your registry to before your first installation? It more than likely wrote something to the registry saying it had expired, which is why your subsequent attempts have failed. Find and delete in the registry, or if you have a clean XP VM start that up, do all your date setting first, then install.
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 16th May 17, 6:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    • 16th May 17, 6:51 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:51 PM
    thanks for the replies.

How do I find it in the registry.......i am on the editor page

The laptop is a refurb, just out of the box and bought with the intention of running this program
    Last edited by Joking_Joe; 16-05-2017 at 6:54 PM.
    • DownTime
    • By DownTime 16th May 17, 10:48 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DownTime
    • 16th May 17, 10:48 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:48 PM
    Secret program?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 17, 10:58 PM
    • 8,181 Posts
    • 6,169 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 17, 10:58 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:58 PM
    The data you need is not on the CD it's on the hard drive, what's the program?
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 17th May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 17th May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:24 AM
    They hide the entry, there are utils that compare before and after but this is not a before.

What you might try is to remove the app, install Revo uninstaller, install the up, then use Revo with advanced option to remove all traces, when it has run the uninstall it will offer you two more screens, one to remove registry entries that the app left in and one to remove files that were left behind.

I have no idea whether Revo reads the install script or does a before and after compare, you will have to try. You could try to do a system restore but these apps usually use the live copy of the profile so sometimes a system restore still has their marker.

Best thing to do is to install XP in a virtual machine, keep the date in 2012 within that machine and then install the app in there.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th May 17, 10:32 AM
    • 9,487 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th May 17, 10:32 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:32 AM
    Computer BIOS battery ??
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 17th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:21 PM
    The install date stamp left in the registry will be after the current time on the machine, causing it to have said hissy fit ..

Fastest thing to do rather than rummage through the reg would be to reinstall XP, set the date to desired date in the past and then install your software

Edit - or virtualise as David suggests using virtualbox or such
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Joking_Joe
    • By Joking_Joe 20th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joking_Joe
    thank you very much for all the replies, it is much appreciated!
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 20th May 17, 11:46 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    Looks like I've come to the party a bit late, but the registry is a nightmare to navigate. Unless you have a before and after snapshot, I really would not spend time trying to find the registry entry that is causing you the problem. Programmers who want to hide mission critical info in the registry (such as date stamps like you're experiencing) can easily do so by giving it a very unassuming name meaning you'll just breeze past it. As others have suggested, either reinstall Windows XP ensuring that your Bios date is set to 2014 and then set up Windows so that it thinks it's still 2014 - or set up a virtual XP machine.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th May 17, 12:05 PM
    • 25,457 Posts
    • 10,096 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Ahh the days of programs storing the trial start and end dates in the registry.. That brings back memories.

I used a 20 day trial version of a program for over 4 years. I even contacted them and told them where they were hiding the date keys.

Why is the subject header XP date and time wrong when its only wrong because you changed it?
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 20-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

2,438Users online

Martin's Twitter