Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 16th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 376Posts
    • 158Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    Lost in choice
    • 16th May 17, 5:31 PM
    Lost in choice 16th May 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hi All,

So I'm looking for some advice on buying a gaming laptop, but when I search online there are so many variants of the top rated that I'm just a tad lost. Basically my requirements are an i5/i7 (preferably 7th gen), GTX1060+ and any size SSD+HDD.

What I'm most confused about are the build/screen quality, laptop docking capability and company reputation. I haven't bought a PC since 2010 and a lot has changed :/.

So the question is, with a budget of approx. 1500 (could go higher), does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to the option of a desktop alternative and to spend the difference on peripherals.

I appreciate any advice at all (I do speak tech so feel free to not dumb down)

Thanks!
    Started 07/15. Car finance reduced 9.4k to 0 , Mortgage: 52.5k - Savings: 0
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:14 PM
    I don't have a clue, but why Laptop format ? Desktop gives you more bang for your euro especially screen size/quality
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th May 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 16th May 17, 8:07 PM
    You need to get to a shortlist and a max price, otherwise you will end up with one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GM1JA608Y

The shortlist can best be derived from other enthusiasts on YouTube or Forums.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT-AYXo-R_Y

Then when you have 3 to 5 you lookup specific reviews for each one

For example I saw what looked to be a fantastic albeit unaffordable beast, but then this review said the keyboard was screwed up because of lack of travel, it was supposed to be some sort of tactile feedback but failed miserably.

https://youtu.be/WVn7hcwB5rc?t=356

This is a favourite, $2400 but price varies as he says. screen is 120mhz which he says makes a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fURkRSbO20k

and so it goes on.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th May 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I don't have a clue, but why Laptop format ? Desktop gives you more bang for your euro especially screen size/quality
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Bragging rights!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 16th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,452 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 16th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:12 PM
    If I was buying a gaming laptop I'd go for an Alienware 15 off the Dell Outlet, they're decent machines and they're a good price for the spec particularly right now they're offering 15% off Alienware PC's. Technically the machines are customer returns but I've bought a lot of PC's from the outlet and even the scratch and dent ones are in as new condition. Your 1500 budget would get you one with a GTX 1070, i7, decent amount of ram, a good size SSD and the option of either a 120Hz 1080p panel or a 4k 60hz panel. I've never had any issues with returns, they come with an on site warranty as well which saves a lot of hassle although the prices for extending the warranties at the moment seem very high.

That said, I'd agree with the post above questioning whether a desktop would be a better choice, the fact you're considering it suggests it is viable. Aside from better performance you get something a lot more flexible that's much easier to repair and upgrade over time. I did used to be a fan of DTR machines but it reached the point where they were heavy and noisy so went with a faster desktop with a great screen and then kept with that setup.

John
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    • 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:41 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    The reasoning behind having a laptop is that I like to have the choice to pick it up and sit on the couch and murder the contents of my balls. What I've realised now is I can keep the laptop I'm typing on for this purpose, so I'll be going for the PC setup
    I'll take alook at the alienware outlet, it sounds like a pretty viable option, thanks!
    Started 07/15. Car finance reduced 9.4k to 0 , Mortgage: 52.5k - Savings: 0
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 17th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 17th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:29 AM
    http://www.ebuyer.com/783639-gigabyte-p55w-r7-cf1-gaming-laptop-p55w-r7-cf1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter