Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 16th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Dawn248
    When to bring up snags on refurb flat? Builder "signing off" work this week.
    • 16th May 17, 5:19 PM
    When to bring up snags on refurb flat? Builder "signing off" work this week. 16th May 17 at 5:19 PM
    I've had a call from the EA saying the developer has now finished the building containing our new flat and the building inspector is apparently "signing off the work" this week.

I have a list of things our surveyor picked up that need finishing. I was going to bring them when we get to exchanging contracts but wonder if I should bring them up now?

I'm worried that if the developer decides the work is finished and the builders move on it'll be more difficult to get them to "make good" (i.e. finish the place to the mediocre standard they promised!)
    They recently accepted my reduced offer based on the survey so I don't want to be annoying, also don't want to have things half done. I'm tempted to whip out my list of issues now and email them to the EA.

Advice please? )
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 3,735 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 16th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 16th May 17, 7:06 PM
    You don't have to buy something that you are not satisfied with. If it is finished properly you will need to be annoying before you find yourself lumbered with something that you are not happy with.
    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Dawn248
    • 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:44 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I was a bit sarcastic about the flat I'm buying!)
    It's not ideal but all I can afford using the settlement from my divorce.

The flat has some finishing up that needs doing and I'm just asking if I should raise the issues now before the building inspector signs it off or wait till exchange?
    I'm assuming it won't be long to exchange now so don't see the point in waiting but advice would be appreciated.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:47 PM
    I presume this is a new-build, with BC signing it off?

So the "finishing up" is just snagging, right? Some of it may yet be finished off between now and completion. BC won't be concerned with minor cosmetic snagging - their concern is with major structural issues. They'll have been monitoring the build throughout, and the final sign-off should be a formality.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 17th May 17, 1:51 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 17th May 17, 1:51 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:51 PM
    They have accepted a reduced offer based on the survey - I would expect that to mean that they expect you to make it good (because that's why you're paying less!). Have they said that they will fix any of the issues?
    • Dawn248
    • By Dawn248 17th May 17, 2:22 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Dawn248
    • 17th May 17, 2:22 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:22 PM
    Hi, thanks for posting.
    The reduced offer wasn't anything to do with snagging-it was based on the surveyors valuation of the flat because of the location (on a busy main road), its size and market value. I haven't raised any of the issues yet.

As AdrianC has said the building inspector is only concerned with major issues, I guess I hold off until I get a date for exchange then revisit the property myself and give them a list of anything that needs doing? It's just stuff like bare plasterboard in areas, tiles that need re-fixing in the bathroom etc.

Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

780Posts Today

6,160Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin