Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrSusan
    • By MrSusan 16th May 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrSusan
    Best Card for a Transfer from Argos store card?
    • 16th May 17, 4:51 PM
    Best Card for a Transfer from Argos store card? 16th May 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi all!
    Really need to get rid of my Argos store card balance asap as the interest is more than what we can actually afford to pay on it each month. I have a barclaycard platinum but they wont allow a BT because Argos is one of their partners and there are no options for a money transfer because the Barclaycard is a new card (ive had it just over a month). How can i get rid of my argos balance? I am not eligible for MBNA, who i know DO accept argos cards as BTs.

Any help would be great, as i said, the argos interest is hammering us!
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 16th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 16th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 16th May 17, 4:54 PM
    I dont know if you can BT from a store card but you could use the MSE eligibility tool to see if you get a Money Transfer card then use that to put the money into your account then pay off the Argod card
    • MrSusan
    • By MrSusan 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrSusan
    • 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    Im not eligible for any of the money transfer cards that are classed as 'Top' cards on MSE unfortunately.
    I suppose im just going to have to start paying more to the Argos card somehow..
    • 2ilent8cho
    • By 2ilent8cho 16th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    2ilent8cho
    • 16th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 16th May 17, 5:30 PM
    Are any of the Tesco cards showing as high chances in the MSE Money Club? You can balance transfer cash to your bank from them using their App and they all bar foundation seem a better APR than the Argos Card. If you have a less than perfect credit rating they gave me a nice limit and a normal APR even though i have 4 defaults on my credit record still.
    • venison
    • By venison 17th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    venison
    • 17th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:26 PM
    NO cc's allow you to transfer from an argos card, if you are having problems paying argos then talk to them before the problem gets out of hand.
    Doomed I say we're all doomed.
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 17th May 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 2,182 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    • 17th May 17, 9:18 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:18 PM
    Don't take eligibility checkers as 100%. I was given a 0% chance of a Post Office card, but got one. Others have had similar experiences, including where it's said 100% but they still haven't got the card.

So, you won't know for definite if you are eligible for a money transfer card, until you apply for 1 or 2 of them. However, if you have arrears, arrangements to pay or a ccj on your credit record, you won't get one. If not, providing you haven't applied for credit several times recently, 2 applications in a short space of time, shouldn't hurt your credit record.

You could also look at a purchases card, now you won't be able to transfer the balance, but you could put all your spends on it for the month and use the normal spends money paying off the Argos card. Yes your have to pay the minimum each month to the card, but you could get a couple of years, interest free on purchases.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

8,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Today's twitter poll: If someone has a job interview, but not received any salary info at all, whens the best time for them to ask about it?

• Follow Martin