Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Potato Fist
    • By Potato Fist 16th May 17, 3:22 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 128Thanks
    Potato Fist
    What mildly interesting thing did you do today?
    • 16th May 17, 3:22 PM
    What mildly interesting thing did you do today? 16th May 17 at 3:22 PM
    We all do things everyday that are interesting which we tell people about but we never talk about the mildly interesting things we have done

At work today, there was no clean tea spoons so i folded a large straw in half and used it as a spoon to stir my tea.

Its not the most interesting thing, but it is mildly interesting
Page 19
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 11th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 2,291 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Neely bought a tweed coat today, but it was a lot of money so left it there. my still go back and get it.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 22,292 Posts
    • 57,171 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Went looking for new curtains for the newly-decorated spare room.
    £200 to make!

No chance. The old ones are being washed as I type.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,664 Thanks
    avogadro
    Curtains can be very expensive, especially if like us you have large windows! Would making them be an option?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 22,292 Posts
    • 57,171 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I did used to make my own curtains. Stupidly, we are unable to obtain a new bulb for my sewing machine, it's nearly 50 years old. I'm nervous about my hand hitting bare wires.

I've thought about a new machine, but I'd make little use of it. The days if making clothes for me and the kids have gone.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 11th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 26,005 Posts
    • 32,888 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Stripping paint from the bathroom door.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I mildly thought that Summer had finished. But the sun just mildly came out.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I started to make a 'cold frame' for the garden.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 12,497 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    Chris25
    I discovered that the Easter Islands' heads have bodies too!
    never thought about it before
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 7,125 Posts
    • 13,027 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Emptied my paper shredder.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 49,887 Posts
    • 136,458 Thanks
    colinw
    I just read a post on Stag Beetles on fb which I am going to share here as it might help a few of them...

Every year in early summer, the stag beetles emerge to find mates. They have spent the first five to seven years of their life underground as larvae and now have just a few short weeks to live as adults.

Every year I'm shocked by how many people fail to recognise these icons of British wildlife, and am saddened by how many beetles end their lives crushed underfoot. Stag beetles have been around virtually unchanged for millions of years, and are not equipped to survive in an urban environment. Their numbers have declined drastically over the past few decades and the species is seriously endangered.

If you see one on a pavement, please move it out of harm's way. Despite being large (the male can be up to three inches long), they are placid and harmless provided you don't stick a finger between the male's large 'antlers', which can inflict quite a strong pinch. Pick them up gently with finger and thumb on either side of the thorax (the middle part of the body, behind the head) and move them into a garden or similar. If you're not sure how, here's a video of us rescuing a male from a path: https://youtu.be/3vflpPExBuU

Please keep an eye open for them. In flight in the early evening they are phenomenal, flying in an upright and rather ungainly style, making a noise like a small fighter plane. They tend to make a pretty uncontrolled landing, often ending up on pavements, which is where you’re most likely to see them and where they need your help to get to safety. The recent high winds are probably giving them trouble, meaning that they could end up in particularly tricky situations.

If you have children, it would be a big help if you could make sure they know about stag beetles too. Kids probably come across them more frequently than their parents. If they know what they are and what to do, the beetles are more likely to survive the encounter!

These are spectacular animals. We really have nothing else like them. It would be a shame if we lost them forever.

<edit> Wow - over 1000 shares! Great to know so many people care - thank you so much for spreading the word! If each one of those shares helps save just one beetle it could make a real difference.

Another way you can help is to report any stag beetles you find to one or both of these sites. More data on where they're found will help establish why they're declining and how we can prevent it:
    http://ptes.org/get-involved/surveys/garden/great-stag-hunt/
    http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/stag-beetle-survey
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    OMG now I mildly know what a Stag Night really is.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Jun 17, 12:42 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 26,724 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I just read a post on Stag Beetles on fb which I am going to share here as it might help a few of them...

Originally posted by colinw
    I didn't know we got Stag Beetles in this country, I thought they were the things that rolled mounds of dung along in ancient Egypt
    But now I know what the huge dead beetle I found in my garden a few weeks ago was, which is mildly interesting.
    Last edited by fairy lights; 13-06-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Scarrob beetles. It's scarrob beetles in Egypt isn't it?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 49,887 Posts
    • 136,458 Thanks
    colinw
    OMG now I mildly know what a Stag Night really is.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    I didn't know we got Stag Beetles in this country, I thought they were the things that rolled mounds of dung along in ancient Egypt
    But now I know what the huge dead beetle I found in my garden a few weeks ago was, which is mildly interesting.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Come on people we need to save the Stag!!!! too be honest I never knew we had beetles that big in the UK but they seem pretty harmless anyway looking at that video of the bloke picking one up. Did you attempt CPR on the beetle? I feel it was the least you could have done
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I am now mildly wondering how I get a trapped little sparrow out of my greenhouse. I have opened the door and window - I really don't know what else to do. It is mildly upsetting me.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 28,850 Posts
    • 105,536 Thanks
    Pyxis
    the beetles that roll dung are called...........dung beetles!

The Egyptian ones are Scarab beetles. They were revered.

Stag beetles are great! Leave piles of wood in your garden, as they like rotting wood.

They are fantastic to see in flight as they are so big!

They are harmless but magnificent!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 14th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 26,005 Posts
    • 32,888 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I am now mildly wondering how I get a trapped little sparrow out of my greenhouse. I have opened the door and window - I really don't know what else to do. It is mildly upsetting me.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    finches are a bit thick, so leave all the doors/windows open plus you could take a pane out opposite the door to create a draught. We use our cockatiel net when they get on the big greenhouses but don't chase them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12,415 Posts
    • 47,527 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Did the food shopping and visited the Mother-in-Law
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 12,415 Posts
    • 47,527 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I've only ever seen one, when I was still in secondary school. It was in our back garden and I really wanted to catch it and take it to school to show the Biology teacher who would have known what it was. By the time I went indoors for a jar and to get me Dad to help me (I was a wuss when it came to creepy crawlies, especially ones of mammoth proportions as this was) it had escaped

Was a whopper though, a male, with the massive pincers.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    finches are a bit thick, so leave all the doors/windows open plus you could take a pane out opposite the door to create a draught. We use our cockatiel net when they get on the big greenhouses but don't chase them.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Thank-you Peter
    I went to the back of the greenhouse and it hopped out. Problem is now that quite a few of them are now gathered at the door hopping in and out - must be ants inside.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 5,035 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I remember that you used to see those flying beetles all the time. I think I read that they are endangered now. They used to scare me.

I haven't done anything even mildly interesting today! I can't even think of one thing.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,942Posts Today

8,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin