Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 16th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    At what speed do you get a speeding ticket on the M25?
    • 16th May 17, 2:35 PM
    At what speed do you get a speeding ticket on the M25? 16th May 17 at 2:35 PM
    Alright people, there must be a lot of you who have drove on the M25, or even drive on it regularly. You might have noticed a lot of speed cameras almost every half-mile in certain regions and the new camera part of this smart motorway.

Now here's the thing: I drive quite often on the M25 and I do go over 79 mph a lot, but I have never seen a speed camera flashing, nor have I gotten a speeding ticket so far. Three of my friends also drive regularly on the M25 and have never been caught speeding neither; but none of us goes over 95 mph.

I have seen, and you have probably also seen a lot of people driving way over 95 mph on the M25, and I don't think that all those people would be doing it if they all knew that they would certainly get caught.

So what's the deal here about those speed cameras and when will you actually get a ticket?

If anyone knows anything please share, event if it's not for the M25. I'm mainly talking about when the variable speed limit is not enforced though I regularly see people speeding when it is.
Page 2
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 17th May 17, 7:16 AM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 21,556 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I was going to post at about 25 miles per hour , I am astonished you can actually reach speeds of over that on the m25
    Originally posted by pelirocco
    My thoughts exactly!

Took me over 3 hours to do a 1 hour journey on there recently.

They call it the biggest car park in the SE for a good reason!
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th May 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    waamo
    My thoughts exactly!

Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    The Heathrow section is usually tail to tail. I go through it fairly regularly. It crawls along so slowly I turn off the stop/start function as it becomes a nuisance rather than a help.

Building another runway there will be madness, the area can't cope now so what it will be like with even more than traffic I hate to think.
    This space for hire.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 17th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kmb500
    My thoughts exactly!

Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I regularly use the M25, for a section that's about 45 miles, and never had to drive slower than 70 due to traffic congestion. I'm usually driving after 6pm though on a weekday so not in rush hour I guess.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 17th May 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,838 Posts
    • 4,565 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I try to avoid the M25, but had to drive on it last August on a Sunday (not the Bank Holiday weekend). It took me an hour and three quarters to drive nine miles. I hate the bloody road with a passion.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 17th May 17, 10:15 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    I thought Palgrave/Literzo/km500 had PPR?
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    The Heathrow section is usually tail to tail.
    Originally posted by waamo
    So someone's going the wrong way then!
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I thought Palgrave/Literzo/km500 had PPR?
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Palgrave and Liltzero do. The join date of kmb500 is August 2015, so I'm not convinced they are DM. I don't think DM is quite that organised to have many many AE ready set up.

The join dates of Liltzero and Palgrave were Dec 16 and March 17 respectively.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 10:26 AM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I try to avoid the M25, but had to drive on it last August on a Sunday (not the Bank Holiday weekend). It took me an hour and three quarters to drive nine miles. I hate the bloody road with a passion.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    The M25's problem is that it's too successful.

Just think about what would happen if it wasn't there. Let's say it was closed for the entire length for a day...
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 17th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 21,556 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

Just think about what would happen if it wasn't there. Let's say it was closed for the entire length for a day...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes, it never used to be like that.

Even with the extra lane it is getting worse.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 17th May 17, 11:01 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08

I used to say the same thing about the London Underground (back when I cared) when people were moaning about the cost / crowding / unreliability / speed. Tell them that they could always take the alternatives. Normally would get a list of reasons why driving / walking / cycling / taking the bus wouldn't work for them - to which the response was "So you're using the best / most cost effective method then ? What are you moaning about ?"

Never went down well.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 17th May 17, 11:01 AM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 21,556 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    The Heathrow section is usually tail to tail. I go through it fairly regularly. It crawls along so slowly I turn off the stop/start function as it becomes a nuisance rather than a help.

Building another runway there will be madness, the area can't cope now so what it will be like with even more than traffic I hate to think.

I agree.

No joined up thinking sometimes from the powers that be.

Our local plan has thousands of new houses proposed but the infrastructure will just not be able to cope.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC

OK, so where should the extra airport capacity go, that won't involve a lot of people continuing to use that western stretch of the M25 to get to it?
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 17th May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Nonsense
    Originally posted by DTDfanBoy
    Correct - I made it up ! Would be nice though, wouldn't it, if the speed limit was calculated as the average speed for your journey - and I'm sure the tech would be able to do it. Although perhaps a nightmare for an individual to monitor, so probably a bad idea. Having said that, I did have a friend that got pulled at the autoroute peage in France, where the police were manually calculating whether people had been speeding by checking their entry and exit times. The French autoroute limits are more sensible though 110 km/h in the wet and 130 km/h in the dry.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 12:21 PM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I did have a friend that got pulled at the autoroute peage in France, where the police were manually calculating whether people had been speeding by checking their entry and exit times.
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    Urban myth. They have radars a few km before the peage, and simply use the opportunity to stop those pinged.
    • DarkShadow
    • By DarkShadow 17th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    DarkShadow
    Why are you driving above 70mph, you do realise how dangerous this could be. If you aren't think of yourself then think of others who could be impacted.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits clearly states 70mph for a standard car.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 14 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 17th May 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,838 Posts
    • 4,565 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    Why are you driving above 70mph, you do realise how dangerous this could be. If you aren't think of yourself then think of others who could be impacted.

Originally posted by DarkShadow
    If you stick to 70 mph on the M5 where I live, you're in the way, frankly. You get jammed in lane 1 behind the trucks and find it very hard to overtake because no !!!!!! will let you out. I pootle along at about 80, (speedo indicated, probably a true 75 or so) and am overtaken by cars going much faster.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Robisere
    Driving above the indicated and signed speed limit for the road you are travelling, is breaking the law, end of. Those who do this regularly appear on this forum, bleating about it.

And I was guilty myself once, but I didn't moan about it, I paid the fine and resolved to drive within the legal limit. I don't like it in some places, where I would be perfectly safe driving at a higher speed. But I obey the limit, because it is the law.

As someone who uses the M25 very occasionally, I look upon it as a neccessity, but I also think of it as the Road to Perdition. I hate it.
    Last edited by Robisere; 17-05-2017 at 4:23 PM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• waamo
    • By waamo 17th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    waamo
    OK, so where should the extra airport capacity go, that won't involve a lot of people continuing to use that western stretch of the M25 to get to it?
    Manchester. But that's an argument that's gone on for over a decade. It will be interesting to see what the government enquiry states. I think it's due out soon.
    This space for hire.
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 17th May 17, 4:37 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex

Originally posted by DarkShadow
    There was a time when the national speed limit was 20mph. I know it's not the correct thing to be doing but no way is driving over 70mph on the motorway inherently dangerous or irresponsible. Most dangerous people on the motorway are probably the slower drivers who insist on driving in the right lane.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I'm no angel. I'll often drive at 80, and occasionally at 85 (both indicated) if my right foot is a little heavy. I've overtaken a police car before at 80 or above. If I get done for it, I'll do the time for it. Speed isn't the only cause of accidents, but does contribute to the seriousness and taken alongside inattention or drowsiness, is a contributory factor.

You won't find me asking a policeman why he isn't out catching 'real' criminals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

2,618Users online

Martin's Twitter