Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • question85
    • By question85 16th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    question85
    Employer didn't pay me my last 'wage' but it was actually just overpaid tax return...
    • 16th May 17, 1:37 PM
    Employer didn't pay me my last 'wage' but it was actually just overpaid tax return... 16th May 17 at 1:37 PM
    I left a company and they did not pay me my last pay check due to 'uniforms not returned' - at the time I didn't care about it as it's amount around 80£. What I realised recently was that amount on payslip to be paid that was never paid me, was not my wages but only my tax that I overpaid. So basically now HMRC will not pay me 120£ back for tax year 15/16, but only 35£, as they assume the rest was paid back by my employer and it wasn't- they withheld that.
    What should I do? Contact the company or HMRC? Did they have a right to do so?
    Thanks for any help!
Page 1
    • moneysaver242
    • By moneysaver242 19th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    moneysaver242
    • 19th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 19th May 17, 12:40 PM
    Salary payments and other earnings are protected from unlwaful deductions under the Employment Rights Act 1996. However tax rebates are not earnings and so do not receive the same protection. (In any case, if you had a contract that includes terms about recovery from a final pay this would not be unlawful anyway)
    They have a right to recovery the money from your tax rebate if they can.
    Depending on the circumstances you could report them to HMRC for not reporting your P45 in a timely manner, but they're unlikely to do anything unless a significant period of time has passed, and you're unlikely to get the money back.
    Appreciate probably not the answer you were looking for, sorry!
    • London50
    • By London50 19th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    London50
    • 19th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:35 PM
    I left a company and they did not pay me my last pay check due to 'uniforms not returned' - at the time I didn't care about it as it's amount around 80£. What I realised recently was that amount on payslip to be paid that was never paid me, was not my wages but only my tax that I overpaid. So basically now HMRC will not pay me 120£ back for tax year 15/16, but only 35£, as they assume the rest was paid back by my employer and it wasn't- they withheld that.
    What should I do? Contact the company or HMRC? Did they have a right to do so?
    Thanks for any help!
    Originally posted by question85
    Send back the uniforms you kept and ask for the money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,721Posts Today

7,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin