Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tigermilk
    • By tigermilk 16th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tigermilk
    Buying a new flat: best way to pick your new gas and electricity supplier?
    • 16th May 17, 1:21 PM
    Buying a new flat: best way to pick your new gas and electricity supplier? 16th May 17 at 1:21 PM
    Hi there!

I'm brand new to the forum and skimming through for sage advice as I'm completing on my very first property next month (exciting, but also very scary!)

Question - the gas and electricity meters in the flat are currently pre-payment meters, which I'd like to get switched out for regular gas and electricity meters. Considering I haven't been provided with the provider details, and I don't know how much energy I'll use - what's the best way to find the cheapest deal? I'd preferably like something that I can control out of home as well, i.e. something that's compatible with Nest or Hive.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 16th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 40,881 Posts
    • 16,691 Thanks
    macman
    • 16th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:05 PM
    You will be in a deemed contract with the existing suppliers from the day you move in-you can't switch until you have an account to switch from.
    Just use any comp site with average kWh figures for your type of property. It doesn't matter what tariff you enter as current, the point is to find the cheapest.
    The change to credit meters will cost around £60 per meter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 17th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:33 AM
    Hi there!

I'm brand new to the forum and skimming through for sage advice as I'm completing on my very first property next month (exciting, but also very scary!)

Question - the gas and electricity meters in the flat are currently pre-payment meters, which I'd like to get switched out for regular gas and electricity meters. Considering I haven't been provided with the provider details, and I don't know how much energy I'll use - what's the best way to find the cheapest deal? I'd preferably like something that I can control out of home as well, i.e. something that's compatible with Nest or Hive.

Any advice would be much appreciated
    Originally posted by tigermilk
    Speak to your sales agent - they should be sorting out all your ingoing queries out for you such as informing you of current suppliers.

Ensure they also record and agree meter readings on the day you complete - should be part of the handover.

Once you are in and settled, there's a great MSE article that describes how to get the best energy deal for you

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

or if you stick with the PPMs, then read this too

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

Good luck!
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 18th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 18th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:04 PM
    Take your own photos of the meters when you move in if possible, just so you have your own record - just in case.
    • warwickbears
    • By warwickbears 18th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    warwickbears
    • 18th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:53 PM
    At the risk of incurring my fellow moneysavers wrath, I would be inclined to suggest you focus on the quality of service an energy company provides. To this end, I have recently discovered Trustpilot, and found it an excellent source of a broad range of views - indeed, this has prompted me to initiate a change of electricity supplier.

I think paying a little more each month (not excessively so, of course) and receiving a quality service will far outweigh any relatively small cost saving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,074Users online

Martin's Twitter