Car insurance - annually or monthly payments

Hi everyone,

I've never posted on here before but my husband and I are struggling financially.

We have £5000 on a credit card and a £950 overdraft. I want this debt gone and am prepared to sacrifice as much as possible to get there.

We are due to pay our car insurance soon which we normally do annually. We don't have much available funds on our credit card so to pay annually will be doable but very difficult. To pay monthly will cost more due to the interest charged by the insurance company. If we pay on the credit card, we'll be charged interest though anyway. We do not have a quote yet from our insurer. Would I be stupid to pay monthly or would that be a sensible option? We don't want to apply for another credit card on 0% as we were declined for another card recently and don't want to further damage our credit file.

Really appreciate any input. Thank you.

Comments

• anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    have you looked for an insurance company that doesn't charge interest - I think Nationwide is one of them
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you pay monthly, doesn't it count as a loan from the insurance company, needing a credit search on your file anyway?
  • leanne12345
    leanne12345 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Puddylove wrote: »
    If you pay monthly, doesn't it count as a loan from the insurance company, needing a credit search on your file anyway?

We just changed car insurance providers and no credit search was done. I guess because if you don't pay they just stop insuring you, it's not like a loan where they have money to recoup.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Puddylove wrote: »

I've not been credit checked for car insurance, a search will show up on your credit file but that is it.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you're looking at needing to use a card to pay for things like car insurance, then you need to revamp your budget by the sounds of it. Can you embark on a mad spree of ebaying etc to raise the funds for this year's premium upfront, and then start to set aside 1/12th of that figure (plus 10% to allow for increases) monthly so you know it's there when it comes along next year?

I'd suggest you need to look at putting together your SOA (Statement of Affairs - link at the top of the board in the "sticky" thread) and coming up with a budget that works.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business