Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sverma
    • By sverma 16th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    sverma
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Refund due to Serious Injury
    • 16th May 17, 11:12 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Refund due to Serious Injury 16th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    In Feb 2017 I booked return Ryanair flights from Stansted to Barcelona and I was due to fly out on the 5th May 2017. However, in April I injured my knee and I required surgery to repair my torn meniscus (cartilage). I had the surgery on Sat 22nd April and the consultant signed me off work for ~6 weeks. He also wrote a letter stating that I should not fly for 2-4 weeks post op which meant that I would not be able to fly to Barcelona.
    I contacted Ryanair via their website to claim a refund. From the drop down list I selected 'Death or serious illness of a customer booked to travel' as the reason for refund request and I attached the letter that my consultant wrote. However, Ryanair replied saying: 'We regret to advise that, our Terms and Conditions of Carriage (which you agreed at the time of booking) confirm that all Ryanair tickets are non-refundable...we regret that Ryanair cannot accede to your request for a refund in this case...As per article 10, we are a non-refundable airline, and all refunds are discretionary'.

I don't understand why they have the option to claim for a refund under circumstances of serious injuries if they keep stating they are a non-refundable airline?! Surely I had an extremely valid reason for a refund. They told me to contact my travel insurance company but as I don't have annual cover I did not have any insurance for this holiday at the time of my injury.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is there a way that I could still get a refund?

Hope to hear from people soon
Page 2
    • sverma
    • By sverma 16th May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sverma
    I understand the frustration, you've lost money but I am sure that you wouldnt have said frustration if you had bought travel insurance at the time of booking as your insurers would have sorted you out. Any how as you've said you have bought insurance already for your next trip
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    Haha I know...lesson well and truly learnt
    Always good to have a rant every so often though
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 16th May 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Wow ok, not a serious injury; let's hope you never have to go through the pain of a torn meniscus!
    Originally posted by sverma
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to say it isn't a serious injury, my point is that it isn't an illness, serious or otherwise.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 16th May 17, 5:21 PM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Wow ok, not a serious injury; let's hope you never have to go through the pain of a torn meniscus!

So, you think that no injuries warrant a refund? Even if the injury prevents you from flying and would be a risk to other passengers in the case of an evacuation? If I was paralysed from the waist down, still not worthy of a refund? Both circumstances make it impossible to fly....
    Originally posted by sverma

But its not the airlines fault you cant fly , the fact that they do in certain cases is down to their goodwill .
    If it was my airline i would be saying no refund , you can not run a business if it doesnt pay .
    In this day an age I really dont understand why people dont realise they need travel insurance to cover all eventualities
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th May 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    I suspect lots of people don't claim for Ryanair flights on insurance anyway as the excess is normally higher than the flight costs.

But am I right in thinking that you can claim for tax on cancelled flights? So you might be able to get something back.

Regarding your initial question- I'm not surprised they said no and I'm sure other airlines would have too. Your concerns about not having mobility on the flight is not a reason to not fly- plenty of people with disabilities fly and are supported with this, and the cabin crew have procedures to manage an evacuation. You didn't fly because your doctor didn't think you were fit enough.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th May 17, 3:29 PM
    • 11,476 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Voyager2002

But am I right in thinking that you can claim for tax on cancelled flights? So you might be able to get something back.
    Originally posted by penguingirl
    Ryanair have an admin charge for tax refunds, and this charge is normally a bit more than the amount of the refund.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 17th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I suspect lots of people don't claim for Ryanair flights on insurance anyway as the excess is normally higher than the flight costs.

But am I right in thinking that you can claim for tax on cancelled flights? So you might be able to get something back. .
    My excess isn't lol. APD is £13. Admin fee is £17.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    My excess isn't lol. APD is £13. Admin fee is £17.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Wow that's low! I tend to go for the really cheap policies, so that's probably why it'd be higher (which is fine, as that's a risk I'm normally willing to take)
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 17th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Wow that's low! I tend to go for the really cheap policies, so that's probably why it'd be higher (which is fine, as that's a risk I'm normally willing to take)
    My excess is zero, because I choose to waive it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,643Posts Today

6,568Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin