Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FixitM
    • By FixitM 16th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 168Posts
    • 20Thanks
    FixitM
    Can you take out new phone contract if BR?
    • 16th May 17, 11:05 AM
    Can you take out new phone contract if BR? 16th May 17 at 11:05 AM
    Hello. My husband's mobile phone has broken and he needs one for work. He can't afford to buy one outright, the only way is through a contact. He can get a new phone and contract for just 1 more than he currently pays per month, is this allowable whilst bankrupt please?

TIA
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 16th May 17, 11:49 AM
    PAYG handsets start from less than 20.
  • National Debtline
    • 16th May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 16th May 17, 12:48 PM
    Hi FixitM

A couple of questions, has your husband already had an interview with the OR? And does he have an income payment agreement? If the OR has already accepted his current phone costs, a 1 per month increase does not sound like it is going to be a big issue. He can contact the OR to check.

The problem your husband is more likely to face is a credit check. He may be turned down due to the bankruptcy showing on his credit reference file. In that case PAYG and a cheap handset would be the alternative.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • FixitM
    • By FixitM 16th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    FixitM
    • 16th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 16th May 17, 1:37 PM
    Thank you for your replies. He currently has unlimited phone calls included, so would pay as you go not work out more expensive if needing to make regular work calls?

Yes,he had the interview with the OR last year and we don't have an IPA as yet (as he was laid off his self employed job, so it's likely this will be reviewed in a couple of months). The last proposed IPA figures allowed 62 to cover home phone, broadband, tv & mobile phones. I believe there was a change to the allowances in April though and the, so don't know what the allowance is, but believe they are less generous and the OR hasn't been forthcoming in answering any of our questions regarding the figures (just says it will go to court if we don't agree with his figures).
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th May 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th May 17, 6:07 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:07 PM
    Assuming you have no phone insurance? If there is no debt with your current mobile supplier, then I would expect them to give you another contract as they are unlikely to credit check an existing customer.
    If you need to go to another provider - you will probably fail the credit check. I would go for the most economical for your needs with the existing mobile provider. The OR is not going to question the fact its a 1 difference. However, from previous posts I gather the OR is not happy with the current amount you spend on phone/internet etc anyway?
    Try basic supermarket handset or begging/borrowing a handset from someone - family maybe? and then get a rolling SIM only contact with your existing supplier.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 16-05-2017 at 6:19 PM.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 17th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 17th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:09 AM
    Thank you for your replies. He currently has unlimited phone calls included, so would pay as you go not work out more expensive if needing to make regular work calls?
    Originally posted by FixitM
    You buy a cheap PAYG handset - preferably on his current network. Then use his current sim in the new phone. Thus no new contract, no credit check and no conversation with the OR.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 17th May 17, 10:16 AM
    And if the SIM doesn't fit, you can phone/go into the carriers stores and they'll swap the SIM for a correct sized one.

If your partner needs a phone for work but is in BR, you'll need to get a cheap one and use your existing contract until they're able to pass a credit check for a new contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,971Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin