Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SonnyH
    • By SonnyH 16th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SonnyH
    Received legal letter wth high fees for an unpaid invoice we never received
    • 16th May 17, 7:49 AM
    Received legal letter wth high fees for an unpaid invoice we never received 16th May 17 at 7:49 AM
    Hi,

We had a strongly-worded (read threatening) letter last week from our freeholder's solicitor (via our solicitor) telling us we were in breach of our lease as we had not paid buildings insurance. The insurance amounts to approx £230, but the bill is for nearly three time the amount.

But, we never received the invoice and hence had no idea we had an outstanding payment. I specifically emailed them last year to give our contact details (postal and email address), and got a response that they would update their records (note we haven't moved, but I had to chase them to bill us for ground rent last year).

I emailed them immediately on receipt of the notice last week to say we would of course pay the invoice on receiving it, and that the other charges (legal and admin) should be rescinded. They wrote back that my email would be passed to the relevant dept. Since then I have heard nothing.

I am conscious that their solicitor may try and charge more and more as they state they have given ten days to pay or further charges will be accrued. My position is I will not pay anything until I have received an invoice (their solicitor has sent a breakdown of costs, but not the original invoice), and then only pay what is owed for the insurance.

My question is should I also be writing to their solicitor, or is writing directly to the freeholder enough?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • scriv
    • By scriv 16th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    scriv
    • 16th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:16 AM
    From personal experience of rogues like this, the individual gets nowhere without legal back up. Can you seek legal advice?

It still amazes me that they still manage to get away with this unscrupulous practice!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 14,433 Posts
    • 12,756 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:25 AM
    How long have you lived there? Have you paid the buildings insurance every previous year?

How long is the bill overdue by, and what is the breakdown of costs on top?
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    surely they must be able to provide proof they send it when/where.
    Though unless it's your first year owning the property, you must have paid insurance before so know how it works?
    Expat with an EU passport
    • SonnyH
    • By SonnyH 17th May 17, 2:14 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SonnyH
    • 17th May 17, 2:14 AM
    • 17th May 17, 2:14 AM
    Bought last year, paid insurance in December 2016 after I chased them for a bill. Checked my records - it expired end of March. So I guess is now 6-7 weeks overdue. I still haven't received an invoice from them, despite now emailing daily.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 21,654 Posts
    • 12,452 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:52 AM
    We had a strongly-worded (read threatening) letter last week from our freeholder's solicitor (via our solicitor)
    Equally strongly worded letter from your solicitor to their solicitor?
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 17th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 17th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:13 PM
    Pay the £230 before the 10 days is up. Continue to dispute the rest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter