Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th May 17, 11:13 PM
    • 3,109Posts
    • 3,840Thanks
    bouicca21
    Do I have cause for complaint?
    • 15th May 17, 11:13 PM
    Do I have cause for complaint? 15th May 17 at 11:13 PM
    My skoda fabia was serviced and MOTed two weeks ago. Today I have an EPC warning light and the 'fix the engine' light.

Is it unreasonable to think this shouldn't happen so soon after a service? And is the car likely to be safe for a 17 mile drive (part involving a motorway type road) to the main dealer who did the service?
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th May 17, 11:36 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th May 17, 11:36 PM
    • 15th May 17, 11:36 PM
    Could just be a coincidence. I had a similar experience after the clutch was replaced on my aged Toyota. The next day the light came on. I checked fluid levels and it was all ok, rang the garage and they said to bring it in, so drove it to the garage where the problem was diagnosed as an emissions warning. Totally unconnected to the work they'd carried out and expected on a car of the age.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 15th May 17, 11:59 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 15th May 17, 11:59 PM
    • 15th May 17, 11:59 PM
    If something was done during the service that's resulted in the light coming on then maybe.

Without knowing what the fault code is it's impossible to say if driving the car would cause any issue. Do you have recovery? If so they can come and check.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11,549 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 16th May 17, 2:55 PM
    Might be worth checking around the airbox and inlet manifold for a plug/sensor not connected properly. Normally you have to unplug at least one sensor to get the airbox open.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:11 PM
    Two weeks since...?

Nah, coincidence.

As for "is it safe" - <shrug> Hold on while I just read the fault codes for you.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 16th May 17, 6:04 PM
    Two weeks since...?

Nah, coincidence.

As for "is it safe" - <shrug> Hold on while I just read the fault codes for you.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Have you done it yet? What did they say?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th May 17, 8:13 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 17th May 17, 8:13 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:13 AM
    Ta everyone. The garage say those two codes indicate a problem with the exhaust - I think the electrical system associated with it as they said probably caused by wheel spin, whatever that may be.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:51 AM
    Ta everyone. The garage say those two codes indicate a problem with the exhaust - I think the electrical system associated with it as they said probably caused by wheel spin, whatever that may be.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    That's either the biggest load of Chinese Whispers I've ever heard, or the biggest load of steaming !!!!!!!!.
    • shaymarriott
    • By shaymarriott 17th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    shaymarriott
    • 17th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:16 AM
    I had the same issue on my old Polo - it was a Lambda sensor - very common problem on petrol VAG cars apparently!
    • takman
    • By takman 17th May 17, 12:54 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    takman
    • Skymonkey
    • By Skymonkey 17th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skymonkey
    Remember - if you have had your VW serviced there is also the possibility the garage carried out the VW fix, in essence changing the software. There have been hundreds of cases of VW users taking their cars in for the fix and some taking them in for a service only for them to break down, going into limp mode, EGR failures, engine management lights coming on etc. In all cases VW are replacing these parts. Just an FYI.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th May 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Remember - if you have had your VW serviced there is also the possibility the garage carried out the VW fix, in essence changing the software. There have been hundreds of cases of VW users taking their cars in for the fix and some taking them in for a service only for them to break down, going into limp mode, EGR failures, engine management lights coming on etc. In all cases VW are replacing these parts. Just an FYI.
    Originally posted by Skymonkey
    What brought you out of your slumber? Second post in 4 years lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

8,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin